2012/13 Ultra know issues? - Page 4 : V-Twin Forum: Harley Davidson Forums
» Sponsors

» Insurance
Go Back   V-Twin Forum : Harley-Davidson Motorcycle Forums > General Discussion Forums > Harley-Davidson Touring
New User? Register Forgot Password

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-28-2012, 09:58 AM   #46 (permalink)
IronButt

Slick03 H-D wants to know Dino or Syn?
Rendell. There are exceptions to every rule and I was speaking in generalities but 15 years or so ago it seems that qualities and pride have declined over the last years and become more about the money from mfg all the way down the line to sales and service to the customer. My 03 was a better quality bike than my 13..Now the new one rides better and has more features for sure but there has been a decline in quality for sure and I'm not sure its worth the trade off.
H-D Ventilator air cleaner Dyno by Doc/98hp & 107tq
CVO adjustable rear shocks
Leather C&C seat
Freedom 8" dark smoked windshield
Painted inner fairing
Streamliner boards/pegs
Nostalgic bag rails
10" Yaffe mini apes
Plus a lot more to come much to my wife's dismay

Slick03 H-D is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-28-2012, 11:35 AM   #47 (permalink)
IronButt

Rendell wants to know Dino or Syn?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slick03 H-D View Post
Rendell. There are exceptions to every rule and I was speaking in generalities but 15 years or so ago it seems that qualities and pride have declined over the last years and become more about the money from mfg all the way down the line to sales and service to the customer. My 03 was a better quality bike than my 13..Now the new one rides better and has more features for sure but there has been a decline in quality for sure and I'm not sure its worth the trade off.

Yes, Sir. I was agreeing with you, and still do agree 100%.
My old 75 ford truck was much more "built ford tough" than my 2008 Ford explorer sport trac, which I love, and my Son took to college. My intent to replace is a 1999,2000 or 2001 Toyota 4runner TRD supercharged 4x4, that I can "redneck" out a bunch. Lift it 6 inches, then 2 inch body lift, 36 inch tires, $2K instereo... You all get the picture. If Ford still built the sport trac, I'd buy another one no questions. But they always seem to find something that they can't keep on the lots, then quit manufacturing it. sorry, went off on a tangent...
Rendell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 06:11 PM   #48 (permalink)
IronButt

Rendell. I fully understand. I spent 6 grand more for my 13 than I did for my 03 for a lesser quality piece..
Leather C&C seat
Painted inner fairing
Streamliner boards/pegs
Nostalgic bag rails
10" Yaffe mini apes

Old 01-01-2013, 12:47 PM   #49 (permalink)
IronButt

scowell wants to know Dino or Syn?
I just got the 10K done on my 2012 EG Limited... been a real sweetie, no problems at all... and I make sure to dog it wherever I go (RILYSI). Took it in for the regulator recall. I added a Heavy Breather, the factory (open!) slip-ons, and the SEST, and did the Smart-Tune thing myself... still has the cat converter at the moment, the heat's not that bad IMO and I like the way it runs as-is... and I can hear the stereo. I got 10Kmi out of my stock rear tire... really liked that, went back with another just like it. Running HDsynth in the motor (after 5Kmi) and HDFormula in the primary/tranny.

The way the O2 sensors are placed I can imagine that removing the cat converter causes problems, especially with open exhaust. Does the X-pipe conversion move the sensors up toward the cylinders? Do the newer heated O2 sensors need back pressure like the old ones? Without the cat, won't the backwave interfere with the O2 readings with open exhaust?
scowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 02:45 PM   #50 (permalink)
IronButt

Scowell, Thanks. I have a Friend that did the X-pipe, with Cat removal on his 12 SG, seems they have the O2 sensor issues worked out. Not sure exactly how but I will spend time researching before I purchase the 12 or 13 Ultra, and a setup. I will say that you you got to be real careful about saying "Back Pressure" Around here. There are a few term nazis around here.
Old 01-01-2013, 02:53 PM   #51 (permalink)
IronButt

Quote:
Rendell. I fully understand. I spent 6 grand more for my 13 than I did for my 03 for a lesser quality piece..
Slick, Thanks for the heads up. Just curious, are you saying that if you were me, you would keep the 06, find a new mech/dealership and try spending the funds to unf@ck it? Or would you try a different option other then the new bike? This has actually crossed my mind, I'm just not sure if it is worth the downtime. I've went this route before back it the day, and found it not worth it. So, any other Ideas will be considered.
Old 01-02-2013, 02:03 PM   #52 (permalink)
IronButt

Rendell, I don't regret the purchase,,the bike rides/handles far superior to my 03 and alot of the "creature comforts" are pretty friggin nice, its just a matter of addressing the few issues that the MoCo cheapened up..and my daddy taguht me a very important issue a looong time ago,,if it looks like a turd, and smells like a turd,,its probably a turd,,and no amount of money is going into turning it into anything else...Just my opinion and everybody has one..My 03 was a fantastic running and reliable bike for sure,,but I spent a butt load of money turning it into what I wanted (107 Axtell kit, worked over S.E. heads,(130 ft lbs tq & 118 hp) Baker DD6 trans upgrade, Mikuni carb, V&H Propipe and on and on) I can spend alot less money on this bike and while it may not be quite as fast as my 03 it will be alot better than what I had as far as handling etc..
Leather C&C seat
Painted inner fairing
Streamliner boards/pegs
Nostalgic bag rails
10" Yaffe mini apes

Last edited by Slick03 H-D; 01-02-2013 at 02:07 PM.
Old 01-02-2013, 03:11 PM   #53 (permalink)
IronButt

hardheaded wants to know Dino or Syn?
Quote:
Originally Posted by scowell View Post
I just got the 10K done on my 2012 EG Limited... been a real sweetie, no problems at all... and I make sure to dog it wherever I go (RILYSI). Took it in for the regulator recall. I added a Heavy Breather, the factory (open!) slip-ons, and the SEST, and did the Smart-Tune thing myself... still has the cat converter at the moment, the heat's not that bad IMO and I like the way it runs as-is... and I can hear the stereo. I got 10Kmi out of my stock rear tire... really liked that, went back with another just like it. Running HDsynth in the motor (after 5Kmi) and HDFormula in the primary/tranny.

The way the O2 sensors are placed I can imagine that removing the cat converter causes problems, especially with open exhaust. Does the X-pipe conversion move the sensors up toward the cylinders? Do the newer heated O2 sensors need back pressure like the old ones? Without the cat, won't the backwave interfere with the O2 readings with open exhaust?
i removed the cat from my pipe with no ill effects. the o2 sensors are ahead of the cat anyway, there has been talk about them cross talking but i've had no problems and either has a whole bunch of my friends.the only thing is if you are running free flowing mufflers you can get some decell popping due to reversation.fresh air being drawn into system cause 's the o2's to read lean and they add fuel.so by removing your cat you are riching up your closed loop air fuel ratio some what.
hardheaded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 03:58 PM   #54 (permalink)
IronButt

Quote:
Rendell, I don't regret the purchase,,the bike rides/handles far superior to my 03 and alot of the "creature comforts" are pretty friggin nice, its just a matter of addressing the few issues that the MoCo cheapened up..and my daddy taguht me a very important issue a looong time ago,,if it looks like a turd, and smells like a turd,,its probably a turd,,and no amount of money is going into turning it into anything else...Just my opinion and everybody has one..My 03 was a fantastic running and reliable bike for sure,,but I spent a butt load of money turning it into what I wanted (107 Axtell kit, worked over S.E. heads,(130 ft lbs tq & 118 hp) Baker DD6 trans upgrade, Mikuni carb, V&H Propipe and on and on) I can spend alot less money on this bike and while it may not be quite as fast as my 03 it will be alot better than what I had as far as handling etc..
Thanks, Slick. I knew I could get the straight scoop from ya, and that's why I asked. My 06 has been smelly since about 2 days after I purchased it. I know couple guys that got the newer (11 & 12) touring bikes with the 103in and they sure like them. I appreciate your input..
Old 01-03-2013, 08:36 AM   #55 (permalink)
IronButt

No problem Rendell..(I probably would shop around for a better dealer tho) personal opinion from reading your posts doesn't sound like they're real big on standing behind their customers. (also, the 2012 & the 2013 bikes are identical other than colors so any dealer with leftover 2012's is going to be willing to negotiate. I bought mine from the dealer in Rock Hill S.C. sticker on the bike with no freight or setup fees and NOBODY is discounting the 110th anniv FLHTK which is all I buy (anniv bikes) its just my thing..lol Good luck.
Leather C&C seat
Painted inner fairing
Streamliner boards/pegs
Nostalgic bag rails
10" Yaffe mini apes

Old 01-03-2013, 10:51 AM   #56 (permalink)
IronButt

Thanks, Slick. My only issue is that The GM at the current dealership said he will deal with me alone, and will give full amount back in trade clearing the current bill, and setting me on leave ground for the new one. I am going to go talk to him tomorrow, and will see what happens there, then go check couple with 2012 inventory after that. If I remember correctly the 2012 FLH series had a real great blue that I liked..
Old 01-03-2013, 11:30 AM   #57 (permalink)
IronButt

patched wants to know Dino or Syn?
10,000 miles....zero problems
[except for the snow on the ground] LOL
patched is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 12:42 PM   #58 (permalink)
IronButt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rendell View Post
Thanks, Slick. My only issue is that The GM at the current dealership said he will deal with me alone, and will give full amount back in trade clearing the current bill, and setting me on leave ground for the new one. I am going to go talk to him tomorrow, and will see what happens there, then go check couple with 2012 inventory after that. If I remember correctly the 2012 FLH series had a real great blue that I liked..

If their willing to put you back to point A then maybe their willing to step up and do the right thing, so then all your out is the aggrevation...good luck, keep us posted.
Leather C&C seat
Painted inner fairing
Streamliner boards/pegs
Nostalgic bag rails
10" Yaffe mini apes

Sponsored Links
Advertisement