shoulder and neck pain : V-Twin Forum: Harley Davidson Forums
» Sponsors

» Insurance
Go Back   V-Twin Forum : Harley-Davidson Motorcycle Forums > General Discussion Forums > Harley-Davidson Touring
New User? Register Forgot Password

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-13-2012, 01:15 PM   #1 (permalink)
FNG :)

SilverEagle50 wants to know Dino or Syn?
shoulder and neck pain

I just moved from a FatBoy Lo to a Street Glide. The FatBoy had stock bars on it and the new SG has stock. I never had any issues on the FB like i'm having on the new SG. Now I will say i've only been able to ride the new SG two days so far (both days about 200 miles). Now on the FB, I might get some lower back pain/tension after 40-50+ miles or so. But that wasn't too bad.

But on the SG, I now start getting a tingle in between my shoulders and in my neck after say 20-30 miles are so. It feels like tension really. And maybe its just because I'm not used to it.

Any ideas here? I've heard that going with some taller apes would help in these situations. Any suggestions in what I might do would be appreciated. Or should I give it a little more time?
V&H - Power Duals, Hi-Output Slip-Ons

2012 FLHX

SilverEagle50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-13-2012, 01:39 PM   #2 (permalink)
merry old soul

Road King Cole is reading this now saying WTF is this? Road King Cole is reading this now saying WTF is this?
You will probably hear that this is the reason many go with apes. I was fine on my previous ride that I had for decades (which had apes), then had issues when I got the road king. I went through 3 bar changes until I got a pair that matched my previous rides posture and was comfortable. Myself I prefer sitting straight with my arms straight out.

However, since you bike is new to you, ride it a bit more to be sure before doing anything drastic (expensive).

rkc
Old 12-13-2012, 03:23 PM   #3 (permalink)
Seasoned Rider

Koop08 wants to know Dino or Syn?
I had the same problem and after 3 handlebar changes ended up with 16" Wild 1's. Best thing I ever did. I also use a rider backrest which keeps my back straight and can ride all day now with no back or shoulder pain.
You may not need 16's depending on your height, but I'm 6-3 and that seems to be the perfect size for me.
Koop08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 03:56 PM   #4 (permalink)
Banned

Michael Psycle is reading this now saying WTF is this?
There is also the possibility that the change in bikes is coincidentally happening the same time as your shoulder and neck problems are getting worse due to age or other factors.
Michael Psycle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 04:17 PM   #5 (permalink)
Ironbutt

MilesToGo wants to know Dino or Syn?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Psycle View Post
There is also the possibility that the change in bikes is coincidentally happening the same time as your shoulder and neck problems are getting worse due to age or other factors.
True, but if he's only getting the pain while riding then the bike is obviously aggrevating something.

For the OP, i agree with previous statement about giving it some more time before making a change. I would give it at least a 1000 miles. Make sure you are not slouching in the seat. If necessary, get a rider backrest to keep your back straight. I think slouching is a big cause of back, neck and shoulder pain. When you slouch on the bike it pulls your upper body back from the normal riding position and puts stress on your shoulders and neck. If you don't want the backrest then do some lower back and abdominal exercises so you can sit up straight for long periods of time without getting fatigued.
2003 Heritage Softail Classic
- 95ci, stage III heads, RB LSR exhaust, S&S 510 cams, 100hp 102tq
MilesToGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 12:31 AM   #6 (permalink)
IronButt

yogin wants to know Dino or Syn?
Sit on the bike upright and gently and in a relaxed way raise your hands in front of you. That is where your grips should be. If you have to reach forward or in any way disturb the comfort of the rest of your body to reach the grips then you will get back tension. Loosen your riser clamp and rotate your bars up and down to find that sweet spot. If you can't find it then you might need new risers ( easy) or new bars ( more expensive and involved). Picking new bars is tricky to find the right feel so I would suggest having someone with experience help with that. For me, my FXR had 14 in. apes when I bought it and I thought that it was comfortable at first but with time it felt less so. Wasn't the height in this case but the fact that they were too wide. In my case living in California it was also more difficult to split lanes. I finally switched out the bars to stock buckhorns which were much more comfortable but I didn't really like the deep curve and lack of leverage so switched once again ( much easier this time due to external wiring and same height) to stock FXRT bars which feel pretty perfect to me now. It can take some experimenting to get it right.
yogin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 07:57 AM   #7 (permalink)

SilverEagle50 wants to know Dino or Syn?
Thanks guys. I guess I will give it a while and see. Of course with it being cold out now, don't get many chances to get out and get some miles in. May just wait till spring when I can give it more of a chance. One thing I will say that is different (something that "yogin" mentioned) is that the bars on the SG are narrower than the FB.

One more question though... yogin said maybe adding risers. Can I do that without having to change cables/wiring? Seems that is the most expensive part of changing the bars anyway.
V&H - Power Duals, Hi-Output Slip-Ons

2012 FLHX

SilverEagle50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 08:09 AM   #8 (permalink)
Who Cares

any4xx wants to know Dino or Syn?
Back and neck pain, generated or exacerbated by riding position, is such a personal thing that it would be nearly impossible to say what will work for you. I have been dealing with these issues for about 30 years. What works for ME is bars being lower and closer and having a backrest. But others would only feel worse with this setup. Sadly, you are probably in for spending some $$$ on the trial-and-error process before you find what riding position works best for your particular issue.

I know.. That was no help at all. I hope you find your answer before you spend TOO much on bars.

Tom
any4xx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 01:55 PM   #9 (permalink)
Ironbutt

MilesToGo wants to know Dino or Syn?
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverEagle50 View Post
One more question though... yogin said maybe adding risers. Can I do that without having to change cables/wiring? Seems that is the most expensive part of changing the bars anyway.
You can't change the risers on your Street Glide. The base/bottom of the bars needs to remain in the factory position to fit properly in the fairing cap. You can loosen the cap on your factory risers and move the bars forward/backward a little but there's really not much adjustment on the stock bars.
2003 Heritage Softail Classic
- 95ci, stage III heads, RB LSR exhaust, S&S 510 cams, 100hp 102tq
MilesToGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 04:08 PM   #10 (permalink)

Sc0- wants to know Dino or Syn?
I had the same pain, C&C sport tour seat and an 800 mile ride. I have since switched to Wild1 575 bars and no more pain, but the longest ride that I have been on with the Wild1 bars was 200 miles. 575 bars are wider, higher, and come back towards the rider more than the stock bars.
Sc0- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 10:51 PM   #11 (permalink)
Doof Armorer

slo_kid78 wants to know Dino or Syn?
Ape it!!! Before I put the 16's on my SG, I would feel like there was a knife between my shoulder blades after 100 miles or so, now I don't have any problems. It's all personal preference, but just sharing my experience.
Hooker 2:1 header
25 deg. speed nozzle upgrade
slo_kid78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 07:51 AM   #12 (permalink)
IronButt

pjciii wants to know Dino or Syn?
first thing i would suggest is 1. if you ride with a wallet in your back pocket try putting it in the saddle bag and see if that helps. cost: 0. 2. have the dealer move your handle bars closer so you are sitting in more upright position. cost: should do it for free. 3. stock seats are not great. try a seat mod from mean city cycles cost: 170 or so. again inexpensive compared to new seat. 4. a rider back rest does help cost: 230?? new handle bars and then braided lines, new grips and labor are going to be your most expensive option unless thats what you want to do..
just a couple of thoughts
Old 12-17-2012, 08:49 AM   #13 (permalink)
IronButt

coastie56 is reading this now saying WTF is this?
Absolutely agree with the rider backrest suggestion. Much easier on the back. Mustang makes one that goes on and off in seconds. I won't go out of town without it. An added benefit, you can back up much easier pushing against it. BTW the Mustang seat positions you one and a half inches back farther than stock which helped me on my RK. Need one on my Ultra. My BIL went with the apes and loves them also. He is a desk jockey so his back is more jacked up than most. Even though he just started riding he can hang in there with the apes.
coastie56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 09:42 AM   #14 (permalink)
Iron Butt

Bronxhog wants to know Dino or Syn?
you don't state your height but you may be reaching for the bars,a simple movement forward or backward in seat position may help.

Also if your wrists are turned too far inward they have ergo bars.

http://www.hdforums.com/forum/tourin...ergo-bars.html
Bronxhog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 08:33 PM   #15 (permalink)

Buckeye1951 wants to know Dino or Syn?
I moved my bars back and re-adjusted the controls, made a huge difference. The helmet buffeting was also a contributing factor, I am still working on that.
Buckeye1951 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement