Speedometer quit, 2004 Ultra : V-Twin Forum: Harley Davidson Forums
» Sponsors

» Insurance
Go Back   V-Twin Forum : Harley-Davidson Motorcycle Forums > General Discussion Forums > Harley-Davidson Touring
New User? Register Forgot Password

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-07-2012, 10:54 AM   #1 (permalink)
FNG :)

RideSlow2004 wants to know Dino or Syn?
Speedometer quit, 2004 Ultra

Bike got really hosed, and speedo quit. Radio went weird, also. Had the fairing off, cleaned all the connections, dried it out as best I could, radio came back OK, but speedo is out. Kinda want to get it back, as I was coming up on 76,000 miles. Any thoughts?
RideSlow2004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-07-2012, 10:55 PM   #2 (permalink)
Premium Member

mgb939 wants to know Dino or Syn?
Quote:
Originally Posted by RideSlow2004 View Post
Bike got really hosed, and speedo quit. Radio went weird, also. Had the fairing off, cleaned all the connections, dried it out as best I could, radio came back OK, but speedo is out. Kinda want to get it back, as I was coming up on 76,000 miles. Any thoughts?
You need to see if the speedo will pass the "WOW" test. Press trip reset button and turn on ignition, speedo hand should sweep and the speedo lights should come on( ck eng, low fuel, batt, security).

2009 FLHTCU A Black Ultra Classic
HD Tall Boy Seat
Ness Big Sucker A/C
V&H Slip-ons
V&H Fuel-Pak
Stage 1 HD Download
HD Oil Cooler
HD Oil Temp Gauge
Soos 1" floorboard ext.
mgb939 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 06:52 AM   #3 (permalink)
IronButt

brownfoxx1 wants to know Dino or Syn?
did you put some di-elecrical grease on all connections? somebody found a better grease than di-electrical but i forgot to write it down.
brownfoxx1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 11:08 PM   #4 (permalink)

05ultra1 wants to know Dino or Syn?
I would look at the speed sensor. Just had one go on my 05 Ultra at 127,500 miles. Speedo jumps around (sometimes quits) odometer messes up, turn signals sometimes won't cancel, idle will be affected.... Simple thing to change yourself.
05ultra1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 09:02 PM   #5 (permalink)

Nitro-Fish wants to know Dino or Syn?
Hmm, I just posted this in another thread:

.....I wanted to ask a few things based on personal experience. When the bike dies, are you slowing or under acceleration? You mentioned the radio was going crazy, was the automatic volume control (increased volume with increased speed) working? Did the cruise quit working all together while you were having your problems? Did you notice if the turn signals were auto cancelling the way they should? Was the bike running "flat" when trying to accelerate? All of the above happened to me on my 2002 Ultra when the speed sensor went bad! The problems came and went at first then everything finally went at one time; pulled the speed sensor & it looked like a porcupine. Part was like $55 bucks & it took about an hour to replace; this took place right around 20,000 miles on mine.........

I forgot to mention the no speedometer in the above post, but yep that went out too! You too may want to do a search on speed sensor symptoms & see if your bike is doing the same thing.
Old 05-11-2013, 07:43 PM   #6 (permalink)

RideSlow2004 wants to know Dino or Syn?
Tried everything, no joy, it was dead. New one installed and working great.
RideSlow2004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement