Homemade goodies : V-Twin Forum: Harley Davidson Forums
» Sponsors

» Insurance
Go Back   V-Twin Forum : Harley-Davidson Motorcycle Forums > General Discussion Forums > Harley-Davidson Touring
New User? Register Forgot Password

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-06-2012, 10:38 AM   #1 (permalink)
Seasoned Rider

mclaggan123 wants to know Dino or Syn?
Homemade goodies

Ive been looking for stuff that people have made them selves for there bikes. It would be nice to have them all posted in the same thread instead of being all over the place. i have made a metal kickstand plate for soft surfaces. It has a set off raised grooves for the kickstand foot to fit into. I also put some small nubs on the bottom to keep it from slipping. Its not much but it was a project none the less. Im working on a plate to move my tour pack back a couple inches.
mclaggan123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-06-2012, 01:00 PM   #2 (permalink)
Seasoned Rider

Hammerhead Pat wants to know Dino or Syn?
I could be wrong( usually am), but when I joined this forum I thought I saw something about not posting homemade parts. Maybe someone else can clarify. FWW, I built my own backrest mount for my FLHR for $14. Laugh at myself everytime I ride. I'd be happy to post pictures if allowed
Hammerhead Pat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 01:07 PM   #3 (permalink)
Seasoned Rider

i havent seen that but it could be why i havent found any threads about it. i can understand with safety issues and stuff but im looking for like tour pack mods and other cheap mods. Im tired of paying high amounts for stuff that i know someone has made and cant help someone save some pennies. Like the tour pack mount. Why pay 200 for a bar or plate that moves it back when you can spend 10 bucks in steel and bolts.
Old 12-06-2012, 01:21 PM   #4 (permalink)
Banned

Michael Psycle is reading this now saying WTF is this?
Pictures of what you made would be nice. I've seen others post pics of fabricated parts.
Michael Psycle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 01:56 PM   #5 (permalink)
Seasoned Rider

i havent made much just the kickstand plate. thats why i wanted to start this thread so i could see what other people have come up with. Even little tricks that can be done to make your riding better.
Old 12-06-2012, 02:33 PM   #6 (permalink)
Seasoned Rider

Here goes, this is for my 2011 FLHR. Made from a piece of 2'' by 3/16'' steel, heated and bent to fit into the slot in the factory seat.. This piece is for height adjustment.. Pretty basic really. Just remember that most of the touring backrests that I've seen have a 3 bolt pattern and I didn't want a big piece of metal showing so I found a backrest off a Deuce(supposedly) at a swap met for $30. A few coats of primer and paint and 3k miles later all's good.. The steel thickness also has just the right balance of flex/firmness
Old 12-06-2012, 05:32 PM   #7 (permalink)
Seasoned Rider

good job. now this is the kind of stuff i was looking for. a buddy of mine took an old seat that the leather was bad and wove a new cover for it out of para cord. it took him a few weeks to do it but it was cool as hell.
Old 12-12-2012, 11:16 AM   #8 (permalink)
Seasoned Rider

Pumba11 wants to know Dino or Syn?
I built my own detachable fairing for my RK using stock HD parts. It was fairly difficult as a lot of trimming and fitting was required. But the end result has turned out fantastic. It's basically a stock outer and inner fairing clam shelled around a stock RK windshield. Cutting and trimming required on all three. Not a novice project. It does have an amp and speakers that I use with my iPod.

Last edited by Pumba11; 12-12-2012 at 11:19 AM.
Pumba11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 01:34 PM   #9 (permalink)
Seasoned Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pumba11 View Post
I built my own detachable fairing for my RK using stock HD parts. It was fairly difficult as a lot of trimming and fitting was required. But the end result has turned out fantastic. It's basically a stock outer and inner fairing clam shelled around a stock RK windshield. Cutting and trimming required on all three. Not a novice project. It does have an amp and speakers that I use with my iPod.

Looks good!! I like the way you filled up the speedo/tach holes. Was it cost efficient to do the way you did or do you think an aftermarket fairing would have been cheaper? I've got a Memphis Shades batwing in the back of my mind and think the price is fair, but it seems that the mounting hdwr is kinda out of line. Nice job!!
Old 12-12-2012, 03:17 PM   #10 (permalink)
Seasoned Rider

Pumba11 wants to know Dino or Syn?
Well it was very cost effective as I can be a craigslist junkie and a tinkerer. Outer fairing was free but I had to repair it. Inner fairing was $75. Extra stock RK windshield including brackets $100. HD box that goes in where the stereo goes and gauge plugs maybe $50. Various nuts and bolts $10. Ebay mini-motorcyle amp $40. Take off stock HD speakers $0. Painted myself $25. So about $300 +/-. Many of my hours of trial and error labor $???

If all the parts purchased new from HD I don't think this would be cost effective unless you REALLY had to have a stock looking inner fairing.

p.s. by the way the big guage fillers are "make your own buttons" from the craft store that my wife put HD scrapbook paper inside and I just used some velcro to hold them inplace.
Pumba11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 03:24 PM   #11 (permalink)
Seasoned Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pumba11 View Post
Well it was very cost effective as I can be a craigslist junkie and a tinkerer. Outer fairing was free but I had to repair it. Inner fairing was $75. Extra stock RK windshield including brackets $100. HD box that goes in where the stereo goes and gauge plugs maybe $50. Various nuts and bolts $10. Ebay mini-motorcyle amp $40. Take off stock HD speakers $0. Painted myself $25. So about $300 +/-. Many of my hours of trial and error labor $???

If all the parts purchased new from HD I don't think this would be cost effective unless you REALLY had to have a stock looking inner fairing.

p.s. by the way the big guage fillers are "make your own buttons" from the craft store that my wife put HD scrapbook paper inside and I just used some velcro to hold them inplace.
Thanks for your reply. I've never done any fiberglass work so that is a issue, also am not interested in a radio so thats something else to consider. Maybe a plain batwing will be the way to go..ride safe
Old 12-12-2012, 06:46 PM   #12 (permalink)
Seasoned Rider

ggod job. looks great.
Old 03-02-2014, 07:10 PM   #13 (permalink)
IronButt

DEW2112 wants to know Dino or Syn?
Had to do something to get thru this way too long Michigan winter. here's my homemade shifter shaft made from 6061-T6 and polished. The rod ends are steel so I also polished them and coated with wax. I'm not sure how they will hold up, time will tell.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	100_2317.jpg
Views:	105
Size:	31.2 KB
ID:	121034  
Old 03-03-2014, 01:13 PM   #14 (permalink)
IronButt

dirtdobber wants to know Dino or Syn?
I prefer to make what I can. This way it is built like I want it.
Off set peg mount for my Dana to clear the exhaust

Heel rest

Reduced reach for forward controls

Bearing race driver

floor board lowering bracket

light bar extender with riser for vtx

A lot more but don't want to use too much bandwidth.
dd
Old 03-03-2014, 06:30 PM   #15 (permalink)
IronButt

Brew61 wants to know Dino or Syn?
Well I hit the corners pretty hard and that means floorboard dragging. So after wearing down one set of boards I decided to make up some skid plates out of some hard steel. Not sure why Harley does not have these on, I owned a Yamaha V-Star for many years before I bought this bike and they had them on theirs and they sure saved the boards on that bike.

Now when I hit the corners I just smile, until the wife slaps me on the back of the helmet LOL. But when she’s not there, Woe hoo let the sparks fly LOl . But I did notice when pulling the engine this winter I have also worn down the bolts for my muffler claps so will have to make some adjustments on those.

Bruce

2004 Road king FLHRCI
107 10.5-1 Flat top Pistons
S&S 4 3/8 Flywheels
Timken Conversion
Heads, Serdi Street port by Vee Twin Racing
S&S 585 gear drive Easy Start cams
S&S Quickee pushrod kit
Throttle body ported to 48mm by Dan Vance Racing
SE Air Cleaner kit with Zippers Filter
S&S Power Tune duals
Vance & Hines Basic Slash Slip-ons