Cruise and ABS - Page 2 : V-Twin Forum: Harley Davidson Forums
» Sponsors

» Insurance
Go Back   V-Twin Forum : Harley-Davidson Motorcycle Forums > General Discussion Forums > Harley-Davidson Touring
New User? Register Forgot Password

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-06-2012, 12:58 PM   #16 (permalink)
IronButt

baggerman11 wants to know Dino or Syn?
thumbs up to both, abs is great in rain, cruise is great on long trips. see ya in sturgis this year.
Advertisement

Old 12-06-2012, 01:04 PM   #17 (permalink)
Banned

Michael Psycle is reading this now saying WTF is this?
Quote:
Originally Posted by BUBBIE View Post
NO on ABS, Just MY Opinion.
If I want to lock-up front OR back brakes, that is what I Want To Do.
I cannot think of a situation where I would personally want to lock up my front brake while riding. A couple of years ago I locked up the front brake in an emergency stop and just managed to not drop the bike. That sealed it for me. ABS on my next bike for sure.

The same is true for any car I might buy in the future. It will have both ABS and cruise control (plus traction control, stability control and a whole lot of airbags). I like what modern technology has to for riding and driving. And I subscribe to the ATGATT philosophy (All The Gear, All The Time).
Michael Psycle is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-06-2012, 01:34 PM   #18 (permalink)
IronButt

BUBBIE wants to know Dino or Syn?
That is Why they are called Optional CHOICE.

Choice for one rider may not be for the other rider.

I CAN work on my Own brakes but not IF ABS...

Just another reason FOR Me.

signed....BUBBIE

Besides,,,,,I like that ABS Box for my tuner,,,: Dobeck Gen4
BUBBIE is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-06-2012, 09:18 PM   #19 (permalink)
Seasoned Rider

B1gfun wants to know Dino or Syn?
Putting cruise on this winter. ABS saved me too. Would have either laid it down or t boned an little old lady. It literally saved my life!
B1gfun is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-06-2012, 09:45 PM   #20 (permalink)
Who Cares

any4xx wants to know Dino or Syn?
Okay... Now for a REALLY stupid question:
Does HD put ABS only on the rear? I was at a dealership today looking at new bikes. Several had tags indicating they were equipped with ABS. Being somewhat of a techno, I wanted to see how it worked. I only looked at the front brakes on a few bikes. There were no obvious wheel sensors. The brake line ran from the master cylinder right to the calipers without anything in the middle. I saw nothing that indicated any sort of ABS system. I got distracted before I could get on the floor to inspect the rear brakes.

Thoughts?

Sent from my iPhone using Motorcycle.com Free App

Last edited by any4xx; 12-06-2012 at 09:49 PM.
any4xx is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-06-2012, 11:53 PM   #21 (permalink)
IronButt

gusotto wants to know Dino or Syn?
A quick way to see if a bike has ABS is look at the right side of the neck when the wheel is turned left.
There are two lines going forward. ABS has them. Non-ABS is missing them.

You can walk along the bike line-up at the showroom and at a quick glance, see how the bikes are equipped.
gusotto is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-07-2012, 06:07 AM   #22 (permalink)
IronButt

huskerbob is reading this now saying WTF is this?
Quote:
Originally Posted by any4xx View Post
Okay... Now for a REALLY stupid question:
Does HD put ABS only on the rear? I was at a dealership today looking at new bikes. Several had tags indicating they were equipped with ABS. Being somewhat of a techno, I wanted to see how it worked. I only looked at the front brakes on a few bikes. There were no obvious wheel sensors. The brake line ran from the master cylinder right to the calipers without anything in the middle. I saw nothing that indicated any sort of ABS system. I got distracted before I could get on the floor to inspect the rear brakes.

Thoughts?

Sent from my iPhone using Motorcycle.com Free App
front and rear are ABS
huskerbob is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-07-2012, 06:31 AM   #23 (permalink)
IronButt

lonslo wants to know Dino or Syn?
I put a toggle switch on my RK so that I can turn ABS on or off at my discretion. There are times that I dont want it, such as washboard dirt road or riding in deep sand. I love ABS in the rain, definetly works.
lonslo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-07-2012, 09:15 AM   #24 (permalink)
FNG :)

cpratt1 wants to know Dino or Syn?
I can stop faster without abs, in perfect conditions. I ride in trafic a lot and dont see perfect conditions very often. the abs has saved me many times. I wont buy another bike without it. The cruise is very nice to have.
cpratt1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-07-2012, 04:49 PM   #25 (permalink)
Seasoned Rider

JockWhisky wants to know Dino or Syn?
You guys are magic. Thanks for the opinions. I live on the west (wet) coast so I'll probably go with ABS. Sounds like the cruise is a good deal for longer trips.

JW
JockWhisky is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-07-2012, 05:52 PM   #26 (permalink)
IronButt

BUBBIE wants to know Dino or Syn?
Quote:
Originally Posted by JockWhisky View Post
You guys are magic. Thanks for the opinions. I live on the west (wet) coast so I'll probably go with ABS. Sounds like the cruise is a good deal for longer trips.

JW
You WILL find you will use it almost Full Time. I started out using only out on the freeways... @ 2 weeks later I was setting it every time for any speed. NICE........

signed....BUBBIE
Old 12-07-2012, 06:23 PM   #27 (permalink)
Banned

Michael Psycle is reading this now saying WTF is this?
Quote:
Originally Posted by BUBBIE View Post
You WILL find you will use it almost Full Time. I started out using only out on the freeways... @ 2 weeks later I was setting it every time for any speed. NICE........

signed....BUBBIE
I use cruise control a lot on my car in the city. It is usually on a street that has very few cars near me. I do it to not go over the speed limit. I'm cool with not speeding in the city but I seem to wind up going 5+ mph more then the speed limit more often then I like. So I put it on cruise control and still pay a lot of attention to what is going on around me. I may even be paying more attention since I'm not using any energy to regulate my speed. I believe I would do the same if I had it on my bike. There are a bunch of streets that if you go exactly 30 mph, you don't have to stop for lights. On those streets, I set the cruise control to 29 and just enjoy the ride.
Michael Psycle is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-15-2012, 01:51 PM   #28 (permalink)
IronButt

btsom wants to know Dino or Syn?
Riding any bike with the speedo on the tank, cruise will be wonderful to minimize how much you must look waaay down to check speed. If there is more than 1 block between traffic lights, I use cruise to maximize my ability to keep an eye on traffic, not my gas tank.

ABS has been beaten to death in many forums. Having had control of my brakes taken away from me at the wrong time by a black box, I will never willingly have ABS.

Last edited by btsom; 12-15-2012 at 01:54 PM.
btsom is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-15-2012, 04:48 PM   #29 (permalink)
IronButt

Lefty is reading this now saying WTF is this? Lefty is reading this now saying WTF is this?
I wouldn't live without either after having both. I use the cruise not only for slab riding, but often just to give my right hand/wrist a break. The ABS? I'm not as young as I used to be and I like to be able to just grab the $hit out of the brakes and let the bike take care of the rest if/when I need to. This has already saved my bacon once. It's reassuring.

On the "I want to be able to lock up my brakes," comment, I'd put that in the same category as, "I want to be able to hit myself in the head with a hammer when I want to." The answer to both, "Go ahead on, Bro. . . ." I've ridden many 10s of thousands of miles on cruisers on streets and scores of hours on tracks on repli-racers. Never once have I said to myself, "I think I'll lock up the rear brake now," Hard braking? Yes. Lock it up? No, no future in it unless your plan is to go down, hard, and high side if you let up.
Lefty is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-15-2012, 05:38 PM   #30 (permalink)
Average Dude

YankeeBob is reading this now saying WTF is this?
I have cruise on my Road King. I NEVER thought I would use it and it was a waste of money.
How WRONG I was. I won't have another bike without it.
I wish it had ABS.

Deut. 23:12-13
YankeeBob is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the V-Twin Forum : Harley-Davidson Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. WE WILL SEND A CONFIRMATION EMAIL TO THE ADDRESS YOU PROVIDE. If the email address is NOT VALID, you will not be given access to the system!
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.