Oil pressure problem after SE tensioner upgrade : V-Twin Forum: Harley Davidson Forums
» Sponsors

» Insurance
Go Back   V-Twin Forum : Harley-Davidson Motorcycle Forums > General Discussion Forums > Harley-Davidson Touring
New User? Register Forgot Password

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-03-2012, 02:31 PM   #1 (permalink)
FNG :)

fwb35 wants to know Dino or Syn?
Oil pressure problem after SE tensioner upgrade

Hello all, new here, I bought my first big twin this past June a 1999 EG Standard FLHT, been doing a lot of things to it making it mine, I took it in to get the new SE tensioner upgrade and SE 204 cams. When I picked up the bike they told me my oil pressure gauge was bad and ordered a new one, ok, so I ride off looking at 10 psi on my gauge, was 30 psi at cruising when I brought it in???? The new gauge came in, I pick it up and put it in, pressure still the same????

Anybody got any ideas??? I did some looking and found a thread where somebody had the same problem, the fix was on 99's only a specific port had to be plugged with HD part #94667-00, anybody familiar with this, Thanks for any help.
fwb35 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-03-2012, 08:45 PM   #2 (permalink)
IronButt

Fourcats wants to know Dino or Syn?
Check the pressure at the sender Good, replace the sender. Bad, properly align the oil pump, or replace it if it has been damaged.
Fourcats is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-04-2012, 01:36 AM   #3 (permalink)
Seasoned Rider

JuiceMan wants to know Dino or Syn?
Hey, I did read on a post that their is an oil port that has to be blocked on the 99's when the SE conversion is done. Give me a minute and I'll try to find the post and private message it to you. That sounds like the problem to me just by reading your problem.
Why would your oil pressure gauge be bad all of the sudden? I get so tired of techs that are new or don't know their A$$ from a hole in the ground and blame everything on parts.....

Hold on.............

JuiceMan
JuiceMan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-04-2012, 07:17 AM   #4 (permalink)
IronButt

BUBBIE wants to know Dino or Syn?
Quote:
Originally Posted by JuiceMan View Post
Hey, I did read on a post that their is an oil port that has to be blocked on the 99's when the SE conversion is done. Give me a minute and I'll try to find the post and private message it to you. That sounds like the problem to me just by reading your problem.
Why would your oil pressure gauge be bad all of the sudden? I get so tired of techs that are new or don't know their A$$ from a hole in the ground and blame everything on parts.....

Hold on.............

JuiceMan
The Early camplate conversion I did on my early 00 bike motor to SS gear cams (delkron plate) did come with instructions for the hole that "IF" would have been left OPEN, Would allow an Unchecked Flow of oil causing low pressure and SUMPING... Mine came with a plug n instructions to use it.

Other post I have read on this problem = not plugged , the oil runs into the cam-chest causing a Low oil pressure and Think of the Sumping problem the engine would have getting all that unleashed oil back OUT...

Pulling the plug on the bottom of the motor after a run would tell me IF sump problem is there. only a few Oz. of oil should be there.... 5-6 Oz is a serious Sumping problem. (2 oz and less is normal).

Careful on the allen headed plug when removing and putting back in... This plug is Not meant to come out by the novice mechanic, stripping and or cracking the motor at this junction Could be a $$$$ problem.

The allen headed plug is right under the sump on the engine...NOT by the main drain plug that runs Horz with the Drain on the oil tank pan...... That one is for a temp. gauge install OR???

Don't confuse it with the sump please...

The last time I suggested another to do this ,,,,The guy drained out their fresh oil by taking out THAT Wrong Plug,,,they confused with the sump plug...

The shop that did the work Should do the FIX, regardless...
IF you monkey,,, they might say You caused the Problem. Alignment of the Oil pump is WAY over Stressed IMHO......IF done by a good shop mechanic... Proper proceedures DO Need to be followed when putting in an oil pump,,,It has happened... BUT,,,,I do doubt that to be the problem in your case.

signed....BUBBIE

Last edited by BUBBIE; 12-04-2012 at 07:19 AM.
BUBBIE is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-04-2012, 12:07 PM   #5 (permalink)

They called me yesterday and told me the mechanic tested the oil pressure at the engine and it was good, told me it is probably the sending unit or wiring, again I said it was fine when I brought it in, they told me it will be ready this afternoon, so, 2 whole days to figure and fix it??? they are not busy either, I was the only one there. I will know if they pulled the cam cover, I put a very small dab of silver touch up paint on the bottom of the cover. I am posting pics of my old cam plate that I asked to get back, you can see the hole has threads in it like there was a screw in it.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	cam plate.JPG
Views:	72
Size:	134.9 KB
ID:	75122   Click image for larger version

Name:	cam plate hole.JPG
Views:	71
Size:	92.9 KB
ID:	75123   Click image for larger version

Name:	cam plate hole..JPG
Views:	74
Size:	117.2 KB
ID:	75124  
Old 12-04-2012, 01:37 PM   #6 (permalink)
IronButt

Re-Used the plug...

With the Plug out, they probably used it in the new plate...

Let us know IF the camcover has been Monkeyed with.

signed....BUBBIE
Old 12-05-2012, 08:42 AM   #7 (permalink)

Well, now they are taking the cam chest all apart again.... What does that say???? They told me their best mechanic is working on it now and that the plug was in the new cam chest, obviously took the old one out and put it in the new plate, that is not supposed to be done, it is a one time use screw only. That tells me there is a oil pressure problem inside and they let it go like that, I became a little angry on the phone and told them I now have a trust issue with them. To be continued.....
Old 12-05-2012, 11:21 AM   #8 (permalink)
IronButt

Apart tells

Hopefully they are thinking!!!!!

Didn't install the plug?
or it popped out?
OR it IS a pump alignment issue OR they got the gerotors in funky. Didn't put it together like it should, leaving out the wavy washer???

Big gerotor out and little one in...

A multitude of IF's..

Let us know what they find and tell you...

signed....BUBBIE
Old 12-05-2012, 03:32 PM   #9 (permalink)

It keeps getting better..... Now they tell me the oil pump is out of spec and are ordering a whole new tensioner kit... This reminds me of an old commercial on tv that had monkeys hitting a transmission with baseball bats.......to be continued...
Old 12-10-2012, 10:31 AM   #10 (permalink)

Update, the second kit they put in is not working either, they asked me to bring in my old parts to look at since it was putting out 32 psi. They want to put in my old lifters since the new lifters are Comp Cams 850's, I told them no way, if you want to try different lifters put a new set in, if that fixes it I will pay for them, I told them I do not think it is a lifter problem, if it was you could hear it. I also talked to the owners son Sat morning, he told me to be done with it and trade it in, I then became pretty pissed and he knew it. The operations manager called me that afternoon and was getting the moco involved, he told me they would get my bike fixed at no cost to me no matter what they had to do, and if one of the mechanics messed up my engine they would replace it. Am waiting for the next call today to see what happens, what a nightmare.....
Old 12-10-2012, 10:56 AM   #11 (permalink)
IronButt

Quote:
Originally Posted by fwb35 View Post
Update, the second kit they put in is not working either, they asked me to bring in my old parts to look at since it was putting out 32 psi. They want to put in my old lifters since the new lifters are Comp Cams 850's, I told them no way, if you want to try different lifters put a new set in, if that fixes it I will pay for them, I told them I do not think it is a lifter problem, if it was you could hear it. I also talked to the owners son Sat morning, he told me to be done with it and trade it in, I then became pretty pissed and he knew it. The operations manager called me that afternoon and was getting the moco involved, he told me they would get my bike fixed at no cost to me no matter what they had to do, and if one of the mechanics messed up my engine they would replace it. Am waiting for the next call today to see what happens, what a nightmare.....

GET THAT IN WRITING

Now that is getting some where...

Good for you.

signed....BUBBIE
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the V-Twin Forum : Harley-Davidson Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. WE WILL SEND A CONFIRMATION EMAIL TO THE ADDRESS YOU PROVIDE. If the email address is NOT VALID, you will not be given access to the system!
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.