I shoulda' ordered sooner - Page 2 : V-Twin Forum: Harley Davidson Forums
» Sponsors

» Insurance
Go Back   V-Twin Forum : Harley-Davidson Motorcycle Forums > General Discussion Forums > Harley-Davidson Touring
New User? Register Forgot Password

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-03-2012, 04:48 AM   #16 (permalink)
IronButt

BUBBIE wants to know Dino or Syn?
UA Made again....Gerbing

I liked What Gerbing told me 2 years ago, "they were bringing their manufacturing FROM China back to the East Coast of the USA".

This was stated by the Manager of the plant I toured in Tumwater Wa. USA.

My friend who bought his heated stuff there at the Tumwater Plant said the other day: that they DID bring Home the Full manufacturing of their product and Now are on the East Coast of USA...

Doubt this to be wrong

Finally a product Totally Made In The USA...
(back again where they started)

signed....BUBBIE
BUBBIE is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-05-2012, 05:27 PM   #17 (permalink)
Lifetime Premium

plongson wants to know Dino or Syn?
Everything Gerbing is on backorder still. I got looking on E-Bay and found no shortage of dealers and authorized distributors of Gerbing items at the same price as Gerbing factory, many with NO shipping.

I canceled my order with the factory and reordered everything from 3 dealers. Looks like the stuff will be here in less than a week.

plongson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 09:47 PM   #18 (permalink)
IronButt

93Horse wants to know Dino or Syn?
Quote:
Originally Posted by plongson View Post
I placed an order for a bunch of Gerbing heated gear last week and never got a shipping conformation. I sent two emails before I got a reply saying everything I ordered was on backorder until mid to late December...BooHoo, Woe is me...

I shoulda' placed my order last August...it's been my luck with back orders, I'll probably get the stuff 'long around July...just in time for Sturgis when it 100*f outside LOL
Quote:
Everything Gerbing is on backorder still. I got looking on E-Bay and found no shortage of dealers and authorized distributors of Gerbing items at the same price as Gerbing factory, many with NO shipping.

I canceled my order with the factory and reordered everything from 3 dealers. Looks like the stuff will be here in less than a week.
Great,,, soon to be welcomed to the world of cold weather /winter riding comfort.

Please post your riding experiences.
Old 12-13-2012, 06:06 PM   #19 (permalink)
Lifetime Premium

Gerbing All Chinese...

Quote:
Originally Posted by BUBBIE View Post
I liked What Gerbing told me 2 years ago, "they were bringing their manufacturing FROM China back to the East Coast of the USA".

This was stated by the Manager of the plant I toured in Tumwater Wa. USA.

My friend who bought his heated stuff there at the Tumwater Plant said the other day: that they DID bring Home the Full manufacturing of their product and Now are on the East Coast of USA...

Doubt this to be wrong

Finally a product Totally Made In The USA...
(back again where they started)

signed....BUBBIE
Hey Bubbie, I finally got all my Gerbing gear today, kind'a came in in bits and pieces from E-Bay.

Let me tell you...the entire set, right down to the last piece...gloves, jacket liner, controller, even the little leather holster for the controller...is made in CHINA.

What a fu@king bummer. this stuff was a BUNCH of MONEY and it's made in damn China. I'm telling you, you do the best you can to support the good Ol' USA and you still get screwed.

I could tell before I even took it out of the bag because of the way the Chinese pack stuff. Even the smell...

1.) The controller feels cheap. The knobs feel like they won't last. $100 item

2.) Leather holster. No problem, seems well made. $10

3.) G3 Gloves. Appear cheap. All the stitching is good and they fit well but not all fingers heat. The thumb and index get hot while the other three do not. Both hands are the same, so maybe that's the way they're designed. They look like a set of $30 leather gloves from the hardware store. Not impressed. $150

4.) Jacket liner. Appears well made. Heats immediately everywhere it's advertised to. $219

5.) Even the stuff sack is has made in Taiwan on it.

I haven't ridden in it yet, just played in the garage and it will make you sweat on high...But maybe that's because I was so hot from buying about $500 dollars worth of Chinese stuff I was expecting to come from America. Gerbing probably has about $50 dollars in the whole mess.

This is certainly not directed at you at all. I'm just getting this out on the forum so no one else is taken off guard.

I feel ripped off...

Old 12-13-2012, 06:17 PM   #20 (permalink)
IronButt

Quote:
Hey Bubbie, I finally got all my Gerbing gear today, kind'a came in in bits and pieces from E-Bay.

Let me tell you...the entire set, right down to the last piece...gloves, jacket liner, controller, even the little leather holster for the controller...is made in CHINA.

What a fu@king bummer. this stuff was a BUNCH of MONEY and it's made in damn China. I'm telling you, you do the best you can to support the good Ol' USA and you still get screwed.

I could tell before I even took it out of the bag because of the way the Chinese pack stuff. Even the smell...

1.) The controller feels cheap. The knobs feel like they won't last. $100 item

2.) Leather holster. No problem, seems well made. $10

3.) G3 Gloves. Appear cheap. All the stitching is good and they fit well but not all fingers heat. The thumb and index get hot while the other three do not. Both hands are the same, so maybe that's the way they're designed. They look like a set of $30 leather gloves from the hardware store. Not impressed. $150

4.) Jacket liner. Appears well made. Heats immediately everywhere it's advertised to. $219

5.) Even the stuff sack is has made in Taiwan on it.

I haven't ridden in it yet, just played in the garage and it will make you sweat on high...But maybe that's because I was so hot from buying about $500 dollars worth of Chinese stuff I was expecting to come from America. Gerbing probably has about $50 dollars in the whole mess.

This is certainly not directed at you at all. I'm just getting this out on the forum so no one else is taken off guard.

I feel ripped off...
Don't know which ebay seller you purchased from but what you bought is likely old stock.

I recently a purchased (11/20/12) new jacket liner and it's made in the USA.
Old 12-13-2012, 06:21 PM   #21 (permalink)
IronButt

From Gerbings web site

9/13/2012
Gerbing's Invests In America

Gerbing's Heated Clothing, the industry's leading manufacturer of heated clothing, gloves, socks and accessories, announces that it has opened a new factory in the U.S.

"We're bringing Jobs back to America and employing our fellow Americans," said President and CEO, Jeff Gerbing. "It's about time we started thinking of our country first, instead of just who's got the cheapest prices. And the response from our customers has been over the top. They love it, and our high loyalty rankings have shot up even more."

Mr. Gerbing spoke highly of the work force he's encountered at his factory's location in Stoneville, NC. "This area has a great textile history. And the skills and productivity of the people is second to none. Our U.S.-made products are every bit as good as what China used to make for us, and in several areas they're better. We're working on making them better in all areas."

Part of that commitment has been to go beyond just manufacturing in the U.S. It's a commitment to source all raw materials in the U.S. as well. "When I say we're going to make a product in America, that means top to bottom. Every piece of cloth, every zipper, every plug, every wire, every thread is going to be sourced from American companies." The Gerbing's owner went on to say, "That means we're helping to employ Americans at those supplier companies as well. It's win/win for us and for our country."

The process of bringing all products back to U.S. sourcing and manufacture is on a timetable. Mr. Gerbing explained, "As you can imagine, this takes a tremendous investment. Right now we're making our Heated Jacket Liners, Pant Liners and Vest Liners in North Carolina. Over the next 3-to-5 years, we're going to be investing even more and bringing our Heated Outerwear production here as well. Our gloves will also transition to the U.S. as will socks and all our accessories."

The North Carolina facility is massive, as plans for growth continue. "We're using 25,000 of an available 80,000 square feet. And there are more adjacent buildings to grow into. So our future is secure here. This is a vision I've had for years. It's just time that someone took the lead and decided that Americans should come first."
9/13/2012
Gerbing's Invests In America

Gerbing's Heated Clothing, the industry's leading manufacturer of heated clothing, gloves, socks and accessories, announces that it has opened a new factory in the U.S.

"We're bringing Jobs back to America and employing our fellow Americans," said President and CEO, Jeff Gerbing. "It's about time we started thinking of our country first, instead of just who's got the cheapest prices. And the response from our customers has been over the top. They love it, and our high loyalty rankings have shot up even more."

Mr. Gerbing spoke highly of the work force he's encountered at his factory's location in Stoneville, NC. "This area has a great textile history. And the skills and productivity of the people is second to none. Our U.S.-made products are every bit as good as what China used to make for us, and in several areas they're better. We're working on making them better in all areas."

Part of that commitment has been to go beyond just manufacturing in the U.S. It's a commitment to source all raw materials in the U.S. as well. "When I say we're going to make a product in America, that means top to bottom. Every piece of cloth, every zipper, every plug, every wire, every thread is going to be sourced from American companies." The Gerbing's owner went on to say, "That means we're helping to employ Americans at those supplier companies as well. It's win/win for us and for our country."

The process of bringing all products back to U.S. sourcing and manufacture is on a timetable. Mr. Gerbing explained, "As you can imagine, this takes a tremendous investment. Right now we're making our Heated Jacket Liners, Pant Liners and Vest Liners in North Carolina. Over the next 3-to-5 years, we're going to be investing even more and bringing our Heated Outerwear production here as well. Our gloves will also transition to the U.S. as will socks and all our accessories."

The North Carolina facility is massive, as plans for growth continue. "We're using 25,000 of an available 80,000 square feet. And there are more adjacent buildings to grow into. So our future is secure here. This is a vision I've had for years. It's just time that someone took the lead and decided that Americans should come first."
Old 12-13-2012, 06:37 PM   #22 (permalink)
Lifetime Premium

Whew...That all make me feel so much better, and once all the NOS is exhausted there won't be problem.

Nonetheless, This whole batch of Gerbing gear is Chinese and I'm stuck with it when I thought I was getting American. Who would know? You take your chances even buying from a big name american company that sells on E-bay. What'a I going to do, return it because it's made in China?

No where in the ad did it say AMERICAN...That was MY presumption base on what I read, including your cut and paste...What would you have expected to come out of the box based on what you posted??

Now, their products may be top notch, but the NOS that never sold is Chinese junk.

It's the same story, "Buyer Beware", and I got took.

I'll use it and ride with it, but I don't have to like it. And believe me, I'll never buy Gerbing again or recommend them. But that just me and just the way it is.

Old 12-13-2012, 06:45 PM   #23 (permalink)
IronButt

As far as the old imported Gerbings. Their products are not junk and still have a lifetime guarantee. If it fails, or it's performance is defective, Gerbings will make it right.
Old 12-14-2012, 02:21 PM   #24 (permalink)
Lifetime Premium

gtnot wants to know Dino or Syn?
Last year I had placed a significant order ($1500) direct with Gerbing (complete set for my wife and I, pants, jackets, gloves, socks, etc.). It took several months to get the first shipment, but I had not received my socks. Two days ago I contacted the company to check on it (a year on backorder) and I was passed to the new owner of Gerbing (press release on their website). He explained about what had been happening with the company. He told me (and I'm just repeating it, don't hold me to it) that Jeff Gerbing's plan to bring the manufacturing back from China nearly bankrupted the company. They had been "slow pay" to their Chinese vendors and so the product stopped flowing. A new owner stepped forward (Tom Nolan) and has bought the company. I'm not going to comment on the "China vs USA" thing as I know that ruffles a lot of feathers, and I'm not sure what their plans are for which country is going to produce the product.

I will admit that I was "a bit" angry on the phone (which is why I was passed to Tom). After I listened to his explanation I decided to calm down and give them a chance to make it good. I just received an email stating that my backordered items were being shipped today (they had to go borrow some of the items from their distribution channel inventory), so I'm hopeful that I'll now have everything I need to begin using the gear.

After speaking with him regarding the importance of customer support, I do believe that this new owner "gets it", and that he will be successful in producing a quality product. His background is from apparel manufacturing (a much bigger name than Gerbing) so I think he will be the right person to lead the company into the future.

Again, I don't have anything to do with the company, I'm a customer. I was a disgruntled customer, but I'm going to give them a chance to prove themselves. I'll post back with an update when it is all settled.

2011 FLTRX
120R Crate
AV&V Valves/Beehives (nw_guy4_fun)
TR590 @ 10.5:1 / Baisley Rockers
MGS Stepped True Duals
S&S Tuned Port Intake
SE 58mm TB/5.3 Injectors
Evo 49T / Bandit Sportsman Clutch
SE Manual Tensioner / Smith Bros. Pushrods
Pingel Electric Shifter / Gaterman GP1023 Lifters
WPW FCS Cooling Fan
PowerVision/Tuned (to perfection) by Independent1

2007 GL1800 Motor Trike (hers)
gtnot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 02:26 PM   #25 (permalink)
IronButt

Thanks for your post gtnot
Old 12-14-2012, 03:29 PM   #26 (permalink)
Lifetime Premium

I just finished a ride with the new Gerbing gear. It was about 40f-45f and I ran US 95 north for about an hour at 75+mph.

Chinese or not, the heated gear worked great. The jacket liner actually got so hot on high it felt like a heating pad for sore muscles. The G3 Gloves didn't get hot but were warm when set on the highest setting. I experimented with controller settings and even turned the jacket off, but the gloves remained about the same. You could feel them kick on and just about the time they were warming up, they'd go off.

When I got back I hooked the extra power lead to a good battery I have with a 100a charger attached. The gloves then worked fine and even got too hot on the highest setting, even with the jacket plugged in and on high.

It appears I may not have quite enough amperage from the stock alternator to get the maximum heat out of the gear. I wish I had an amp meter to see just how much everything is drawing.

Bottom line, the Chinese Gerbing gear works very good. I'm still pissed about it being imported when I wanted domestic, but at least it works.

Anyone know the output of a stock 2005 FLHRCI alternator?

Old 12-14-2012, 07:23 PM   #27 (permalink)
IronButt

My experience, I have run two independent fully loaded Gerbings set up's, rider and passenger, on a 32 amp flh. Granted the only other draw is ignition, lights and gps without any problem.

Learn to use the Gerbings at the lowest setting needed for the day. As soon as you feel the warmth, lower the setting and than adjust as needed. The lowest setting you use the better, don't over heat. Enjoy
Old 12-15-2012, 02:06 AM   #28 (permalink)
IronButt

Location: Motto.. Live for today becuase you never know what tomorrow brings...
1L243 wants to know Dino or Syn?
I dealt with Gerbings for years. When they use to manufacture in house they had plenty of inventory. I use to ride into the factory store when ever I needed anything. Now that their product is made in China they have no inventory and everything is back ordered.

When I just checked HD was $230 and Gerbings was $219 for a jacket liner. Throw in shipping and you might as well get it at HD where you can try them on and make sure they fit.
Old 12-15-2012, 11:25 AM   #29 (permalink)
IronButt

BUBBIE wants to know Dino or Syn?
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1L243 View Post
I dealt with Gerbings for years. When they use to manufacture in house they had plenty of inventory. I use to ride into the factory store when ever I needed anything. Now that their product is made in China they have no inventory and everything is back ordered.

When I just checked HD was $230 and Gerbings was $219 for a jacket liner. Throw in shipping and you might as well get it at HD where you can try them on and make sure they fit.
Maybe go back and re-read.... It is Now Made Back in the USA...

Wonder IF when ordering, You specify Made IN the USA ONLY....???

signed....BUBBIE
Old 12-15-2012, 12:17 PM   #30 (permalink)
IronButt

Location: Motto.. Live for today becuase you never know what tomorrow brings...
1L243 wants to know Dino or Syn?
Strange, I don't remember seeing all those posts when I posted. Maybe I did not realize there was a second page.

It was great when Gerbings use to manufacture at their original location and you could just ride in and try on a bunch of different's sizes to get the right fit.

I have been to their new location a couple of times with friends who wanted to get fitted for gear and their was nothing to buy. Everything would have to be ordered. This was when we learned that product was being made in China.

I am glad that they have decided to bring manufacturing back to the US. I would have preferred bringing it back to Washington. I assume the bushiness climate in NC is better..

Good luck to Gerbings. They have always done right by me...