Help....Wanna shoot my Electra Glide : V-Twin Forum: Harley Davidson Forums
» Sponsors

» Insurance
Go Back   V-Twin Forum : Harley-Davidson Motorcycle Forums > General Discussion Forums > Harley-Davidson Touring
New User? Register Forgot Password

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-30-2012, 10:59 AM   #1 (permalink)
FNG :)

Girthstick wants to know Dino or Syn?
Help....Wanna shoot my Electra Glide

I just bought 96 FLHT a few months ago, ran fine. Changed the plugs yesterday and even though both look pretty sooty, not too bad looking. Bike started after ten minutes of trying, but it's also about 25 degrees outside too. Had to keep revving to keep it running and after about 5 minutes I let go of throttle and it died. I tried again to start it but no go. Thought maybe I flooded it so today I put new plugs in again and still no go. I don't smell any gas so I decided to check plug spark. I have no spark on either plug! WTF.
Maybe a loose connection at where plug wires connect to ignition coil? One time I received a poke but still not seeing any spark across plugs.
Any ideas of things to check are greatly appreciated......
Girthstick is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-30-2012, 11:20 AM   #2 (permalink)
FNG :)

softtail wants to know Dino or Syn?
Pull your plug wire off the plugs and look inside the boot to see if you have pulled the connector back to far to where you have no connection. Just a thought.
softtail is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-30-2012, 11:21 AM   #3 (permalink)
IronButt

93Horse wants to know Dino or Syn?
Start with checking the boot that covers the plugs. The contact may have moved (up) and not properly contacting the plug. Being a 96 it's possible that the plug wires are old and may need replacing, test per manual.
Old 11-30-2012, 11:22 AM   #4 (permalink)
Lifetime Premium

Blackened wants to know Dino or Syn?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Girthstick View Post
I just bought 96 FLHT a few months ago, ran fine.

25 degrees

Received a poke
This tells me you are probably super lean. Colder it gets the more dense the air gets, so all that extra oxygen is messing up your a/f ratio...that's why it keeps going when you gun the throttle-you're enriching the mix.

You can squirt some starter fluid in ther to prove it if you want, but I would start by bumping up the size of the low speed jet and go from there.

'03 FXSTB - SOLD (GBNF)

'94 FXR

'14 Street Glide Special
Blackened is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-30-2012, 11:41 AM   #5 (permalink)
Seasoned Rider

michael dee wants to know Dino or Syn?
Rule #1: Start with inexpensive/easy stuff first. Check wires and connections at coils and spark plugs. If you are not getting any spark then there is no sense taking carb apart to re-jet. Given age of wires, an investment in a new set might not be such a bad thing.
michael dee is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-30-2012, 11:50 AM   #6 (permalink)
Lifetime Premium

Blackened wants to know Dino or Syn?
Quote:
Originally Posted by michael dee View Post
Rule #1: Start with inexpensive/easy stuff first
Fair enough. Wad up a rag and cover the throat of the carb and crank it.

But agree the wires should be replaced if they are that old.

'03 FXSTB - SOLD (GBNF)

'94 FXR

'14 Street Glide Special

Last edited by Blackened; 11-30-2012 at 08:05 PM.
Blackened is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-30-2012, 12:55 PM   #7 (permalink)
IronButt

RogerDodger wants to know Dino or Syn?
If it ran fine before you started your issue is likely the plugs or the wires - inspect both.
You can also try putting the old plugs back in and see if it runs. Then be sure the petcock is open and pull the choke all the way out. Leave the choke out until the motor is hot enough to run without it. You can touch the rocker covers to see how warm the motor is - if they're not warm to the touch, leave the choke on.
RogerDodger is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-30-2012, 03:40 PM   #8 (permalink)
IronButt

HDTC882000 wants to know Dino or Syn?
If you shoot it, we want video! thats the best I can add on the simple idea of starting simple

NOW IT'S A 120R

V&H Pro Pipe HO
Barnett Scorpion Clutch
HPI 58mm TB
5.3 gps FI
SERT, Tuned by Big Boyz

Seacoast HD Dyno #'s

133 hp
127 ft lbs tq

HDTC882000 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-30-2012, 06:00 PM   #9 (permalink)
IronButt

Mike02 wants to know Dino or Syn?
Staring fluid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackened View Post
This tells me you are probably super lean. Colder it gets the more dense the air gets, so all that extra oxygen is messing up your a/f ratio...that's why it keeps going when you gun the throttle-you're enriching the mix.

You can squirt some starter fluid in ther to prove it if you want, but I would start by bumping up the size of the low speed jet and go from there.
Using starting fluid is the worst thing for an engine...increases wear n tear significantly... a better thing to use is carb cleaner.

Also suggest tossing those plug wires and replacing with new...
Mike02 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-01-2012, 07:06 AM   #10 (permalink)
IronButt

coastie56 is reading this now saying WTF is this?
Pop the cap off the idle air screw and turn it out to one and a half turns. The stock jet is ok if you just have pipes and A/C. That will richen the idle mixture for free.
coastie56 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the V-Twin Forum : Harley-Davidson Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. WE WILL SEND A CONFIRMATION EMAIL TO THE ADDRESS YOU PROVIDE. If the email address is NOT VALID, you will not be given access to the system!
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.