Octane what? : V-Twin Forum: Harley Davidson Forums
» Sponsors

» Insurance
Go Back   V-Twin Forum : Harley-Davidson Motorcycle Forums > General Discussion Forums > Harley-Davidson Touring
New User? Register Forgot Password

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-27-2012, 11:15 AM   #1 (permalink)
IronButt

Rendell wants to know Dino or Syn?
Octane what?

Ok. I know this is a very generic question, I'll try to make it as answerable as possible. I also know that is the bike is loaded with high performance upgrades it will make a difference also.
I'm talking about a Mid 2000s FLHTCUI a set of slip-ons and a stage 1 kit.. Basically stock setup, that isn't 5 grand worth of internal upgrades. I'm talking about barely needing a tuner type setup. so, the question is, given the bike we are talking about, what Octane Fuel do you run, or have you run? If you've ran 87 octane how did it run? and the same for 91, 93?

Just trying to see what the consensus is on octane. I'm probably going to test out the different levels and report back. that is if anyone is interested.
Rendell is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-27-2012, 11:47 AM   #2 (permalink)
IronButt

shovelmike wants to know Dino or Syn?
My bagger is an '02 Ultra, 88 cu. in. , slip-ons , hi flow air cleaner, PC III USB , the only internal modification was S&S gear drive and Andrews TW21G cams.
The premium here is only 91 octane, sometimes the 87 octane regular is ethanol free and I use it. I don't hear any detonation on the regular, which I somewhat attribute to the ion sensing circuit in the ignition doing its job.
Old 11-27-2012, 11:57 AM   #3 (permalink)
IronButt

Quote:
Originally Posted by shovelmike View Post
My bagger is an '02 Ultra, 88 cu. in. , slip-ons , hi flow air cleaner, PC III USB , the only internal modification was S&S gear drive and Andrews TW21G cams.
The premium here is only 91 octane, sometimes the 87 octane regular is ethanol free and I use it. I don't hear any detonation on the regular, which I somewhat attribute to the ion sensing circuit in the ignition doing its job.
Thanks Mike, I appreciate the input.
Old 11-27-2012, 12:01 PM   #4 (permalink)
IronButt

jammer45u is reading this now saying WTF is this?
Your bike may experience slight detonation on regular, especially when the temps are high and/or you're flogging it hard. Mid-grade and premium should both do fine, the higher octane giving better mileage.
I try to use premium as much as possible, ethanol free when available.
jammer45u is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-27-2012, 12:06 PM   #5 (permalink)
IronButt

baggerman11 wants to know Dino or Syn?
ran regular one time. added octane booster to it. book calls for a minimum of 91 octance if i remember correctly. it'll run on the 87, but ran into some bikers in the midwest on my way to sturgis last year, they either get 87 octane or the ethanol (not much choice in some of the small towns), bottomline, their bikes sounded and ran like crap. can't imagine what the valves look like after running the lower octane. just my 2 cents worth. lower the octane, higher the heat, higher the octane, lower the heat.
Old 11-27-2012, 12:19 PM   #6 (permalink)
IronButt

Thanks guys. I've always wondered these things. I almost always ran premium in all my bikes, there were a couple times I ran 87, like for a tank or two on a trip. Never seen any ill effects. I'm thinking that I can test it, and report back. I can always run some Lucas Oil injector cleaner in some premium to clean it up after the test.
Old 11-27-2012, 12:52 PM   #7 (permalink)
Outsider

Half_crazy wants to know Dino or Syn?
You need to run the least octane that won't ping... or so they tell me.

I wish I had a choice. With 11.2:1 compression it's 92 or better... but sometimes high test gas sits in the station's tanks because not many buy it. Sometimes even 93 pings, so I carry Amsoil motorcycle octane booster for those times when I get a rattle. Works like a champ.
bodies, RPW Thor pipe, Lloydz ECU, PC-III, Rivera Pro clutch spring, 31 tooth pulley w/Buell belt
Half_crazy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-27-2012, 04:50 PM   #8 (permalink)
Average Dude

YankeeBob is reading this now saying WTF is this?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Half_crazy View Post
You need to run the least octane that won't ping... or so they tell me.

I wish I had a choice. With 11.2:1 compression it's 92 or better... but sometimes high test gas sits in the station's tanks because not many buy it. Sometimes even 93 pings, so I carry Amsoil motorcycle octane booster for those times when I get a rattle. Works like a champ.
What he said.

So a search in here and you will find plenty of responses to your question.

Deut. 23:12-13
YankeeBob is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-27-2012, 06:48 PM   #9 (permalink)
Ibc
IronButt

Ibc wants to know Dino or Syn?
My 03 is fairly stock. I usually run 89 octane. When on trips I occasionally use 87 due to price. Example, in October, on my ride to Florida, a station in NY was charging 5.99/gal for 87 and way over $6.00/gal. Same on the way home in Maryland, went with 87. When I use 87 octane, I don't notice any poorer performance or mpg.
What I would like is to be able to get ethanol free at any station.
Old 11-28-2012, 05:14 PM   #10 (permalink)
Ironbutt

MilesToGo wants to know Dino or Syn?
I've done some experimenting with different fuel grades and different bike builds. Even with stock stage one bikes i've noticed some pinging under heavy loads during hot weather while using less than premium gas. These days I try to run 91 or better octane whenever possible. To me it's not worth trying to save a couple bucks on gas.
2003 Heritage Softail Classic
- 95ci, stage III heads, RB LSR exhaust, S&S 510 cams, 100hp 102tq
MilesToGo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-28-2012, 06:54 PM   #11 (permalink)
IronButt

smitty901 wants to know Dino or Syn?
compression is the factor. Higher octane burns slower, lower octane burns faster. So when compression gets in the area of 10.1 lower octane fuel like 87-89 tend to fire to soon and to fast under compression not good.
91-93 will not make a lot of difference in most engines that are lower than 10.1 by a small amount but they are not a better gas and provide nothing to gain.
Tune can come into play on this if your messing with timing.
Old 11-28-2012, 11:09 PM   #12 (permalink)
IronButt

Great info guys. I appreciate it.
Old 03-15-2013, 06:10 PM   #13 (permalink)
IronButt

ok. I ran it til it was on E and the light was on, I rode out to visit my Buddy who is the Mgr of the county airport. We filled it with AV grade 100-LL. rode 23 miles and I can say that the 06 Ultra loves some AV grade 100-LL. it runs quieter, smoother, cooler, revs quicker, and the exhuast is deeper sounding. Seems to perform a little better. I think I will run it as often as I can get it... I'll update after 200 miles.
Old 03-15-2013, 06:36 PM   #14 (permalink)
IronButt

Markk9 wants to know Dino or Syn?
Be careful with the low lead fuel, it has been known to mess 02 sensors if your bike is equipped with them, will clog a cat very fast.

Retired Eagle Driver.............Long Live the Eagle.

Helmet laws interfere with natural selection.
Markk9 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-15-2013, 11:10 PM   #15 (permalink)
IronButt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markk9 View Post
Be careful with the low lead fuel, it has been known to mess 02 sensors if your bike is equipped with them, will clog a cat very fast.
True, 06 Ultra = no cat, no O2 sensors.. Seems to love it. I'm just checking it out for once. Probably never run it again.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the V-Twin Forum : Harley-Davidson Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. WE WILL SEND A CONFIRMATION EMAIL TO THE ADDRESS YOU PROVIDE. If the email address is NOT VALID, you will not be given access to the system!
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.