2013 Electra Glide Ultra Limited Questions : V-Twin Forum: Harley Davidson Forums
» Sponsors

» Insurance
Go Back   V-Twin Forum : Harley-Davidson Motorcycle Forums > General Discussion Forums > Harley-Davidson Touring
New User? Register Forgot Password

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-21-2012, 07:12 PM   #1 (permalink)
Seasoned Rider

trmat79 wants to know Dino or Syn?
2013 Electra Glide Ultra Limited Questions

Hey everyone just got a new 2013 EG and I have some questions: (trust me I have been burning off the "search" button but need some opinions)

1) I want to get the detactable kit for the Tour Pak....is this something I can install myself? I am fairly mechanically inclined

2) I am thinking about taking off the stock mirrors and getting some fairing mounted ones. I take it these just have to be drilled into the fairing right?

3) I am looking for serious opinions on intake / exhaust etc... a little background on this one. I have a CA bike it will be registered in TX (I'm in the military). Would you guys replace the whole thing or just do mufflers? Also I like the look of the 90 degree air intakes but do they get limited by the lower fairing?

4) Any other upgrades that you guys have done that you think are "must haves" I would love to hear.

Thanks everyone
FLY NAVY
Todd
trmat79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-21-2012, 08:06 PM   #2 (permalink)
IronButt

boston62 wants to know Dino or Syn?
Quote:
Originally Posted by trmat79 View Post
Hey everyone just got a new 2013 EG and I have some questions: (trust me I have been burning off the "search" button but need some opinions)

1) I want to get the detactable kit for the Tour Pak....is this something I can install myself? I am fairly mechanically inclined

2) I am thinking about taking off the stock mirrors and getting some fairing mounted ones. I take it these just have to be drilled into the fairing right?

3) I am looking for serious opinions on intake / exhaust etc... a little background on this one. I have a CA bike it will be registered in TX (I'm in the military). Would you guys replace the whole thing or just do mufflers? Also I like the look of the 90 degree air intakes but do they get limited by the lower fairing?

4) Any other upgrades that you guys have done that you think are "must haves" I would love to hear.

Thanks everyone
FLY NAVY
Todd
I have the 90 SE on my 2012 EG Limited you have to get the compact style to allow for the lowers, I also went with the Rush True Duels for pipes, and Rush 4" Big Louie for Mufflers, I went with Power Vision tuner also.

My ride is in the profile picture

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Motorcycle.com App

Last edited by boston62; 11-21-2012 at 08:08 PM.
boston62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 08:06 PM   #3 (permalink)
IronButt

gusotto wants to know Dino or Syn?
1. With enough time, you could do the detachable kit.

2. Yes, you do drill the fairing.
You might just ride with stock mirrors and see if you like them. Some don't like the fairing mount mirrors for various reasons.

3. Can't help with the exhaust So many options.
The 90 degree intake, if that is more open to the elements, some have problems when they hit rain and don't have the rain hood on it.
gusotto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 08:21 PM   #4 (permalink)
Seasoned Rider

Ok thanks guys. I think the detachable tour pak will be the first thing I get then ill go from there. I am trying to take it slow but the mod bug gets a little itchy sometimes you know.
Old 11-21-2012, 08:44 PM   #5 (permalink)
Seasoned Rider

B1gfun wants to know Dino or Syn?
Quote:
Ok thanks guys. I think the detachable tour pak will be the first thing I get then ill go from there. I am trying to take it slow but the mod bug gets a little itchy sometimes you know.
The detachable tour pak was my first mod. Its pretty easy really. Just get the wiring kit. Everything all together is a little pricey, but you probably already know that.
B1gfun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 08:57 PM   #6 (permalink)
Seasoned Rider

Yeah I've heard it a little pricey but for riding around town and to work etc i don't need the tour pak and like the looks without it better. That being said with the MRS on board I love it!!!
Old 11-21-2012, 09:06 PM   #7 (permalink)
IronButt

Quote:
Yeah I've heard it a little pricey but for riding around town and to work etc i don't need the tour pak and like the looks without it better. That being said with the MRS on board I love it!!!
I use my tour pak everyday, I use my bike to go to the store, I hardly never use my auto. My bike is my auto now. Its nice in Florida, use the bike all year, I had a 2011 Street Glide, but wanted the bags and extras. Now the, 2012 UG Limited .

Old 11-21-2012, 11:02 PM   #8 (permalink)
Seasoned Rider

Bigfoot Ultra wants to know Dino or Syn?
I have a 2012 Limited. I found the mirrors in the stock position lacked a lot. I saw more of my shoulders than the road. I thought about the fairing mount mirrors and sat on an Electra Glide that had them mounted. Vision was worse than my stock mirrors. Once you drill the inner fairing you are committed, so find a Bat Wing bike that has them and make sure it's what you want. I went with the mirror extenders that raise the mirrors about 2" and all my problems were solved.

I know younger guys like the bagger look of no tour-pac when around town. I use my tour-pac every time I ride just because it's easier to access than the saddle bags. You can find pretty good after market kits that aren't too bad to install if you're handy. The electrical disconnects can be a pain, as is safely storing the tour-pac when not in use.
Try it for a while with the pac and see if it's that bad.
Old 11-21-2012, 11:20 PM   #9 (permalink)
Seasoned Rider

Is there anything crazy involved with installing the detachable kit? I mean is step one remove rear tire or something like that? I like the utility of the tour pak but also like the idea of being able to take it off. That's why I love this bike so much. It can be so many different things and all can be just how I want them.
Old 11-22-2012, 05:42 AM   #10 (permalink)
IronButt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigfoot Ultra View Post
I have a 2012 Limited. I found the mirrors in the stock position lacked a lot. I saw more of my shoulders than the road. I thought about the fairing mount mirrors and sat on an Electra Glide that had them mounted. Vision was worse than my stock mirrors. Once you drill the inner fairing you are committed, so find a Bat Wing bike that has them and make sure it's what you want. I went with the mirror extenders that raise the mirrors about 2" and all my problems were solved.

I know younger guys like the bagger look of no tour-pac when around town. I use my tour-pac every time I ride just because it's easier to access than the saddle bags. You can find pretty good after market kits that aren't too bad to install if you're handy. The electrical disconnects can be a pain, as is safely storing the tour-pac when not in use.
Try it for a while with the pac and see if it's that bad.
I put the HD slip stream mirrors on mine, I can see just fine. I guess if your a real big person it would be a problem. I love the ABS braking system, save my butt a few times.

Old 11-22-2012, 12:12 PM   #11 (permalink)
"Jane you ignorant slut!"

ceraaa42 wants to know Dino or Syn?
My new bike is a 12 LTD. The old was an 08 Ultra.

On the 08 I planned to have a removable TP, bought the kit for the EG classic for the box and a hanger wall mount so it wouldn't get damaged when off. Installed the kit, started on making plug in connectors for the wiring harness. It turned into such a pain in the butt I stopped for a bit and never finished it. The mount has nylon bushings, they wear and the TP start will start to vibrate when it's on.

I use the tour pack all the time and will not even think about it on my new bike. Just an
fyi.

I bought the V&H Pro-pipe, SE air cleaner and PCV with auto tune from Fuel moto. It works great and if I change anything I have the auto tune for adjustments.

Kyr. makes the mirror extenders and they work great if seeing behind you is important. I sat on a street glide and got a great look at my sholders.
SE255 cams
SE Air cleaner
SERT
Fatcat Quiet baffle
Bagger brace
Dyno report; http://www.v-twinforum.com/forums/dr...et-baffle.html

"Ya fargin' sneeky bastage!" Roman Troy Moronie

43 member
ceraaa42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 07:44 AM   #12 (permalink)
Lifetime Premium

bcomes wants to know Dino or Syn?
I can't recommend the mirrors. I bought a bike with them and hated them so much that I paid $450 to have the holes filled and the inner faring painted...and it wasn't because I was driven to have a painted inner faring. I hated them! They are marginally functional.
bcomes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 08:12 AM   #13 (permalink)
IronButt

billnourse wants to know Dino or Syn?
I had fairing mirrors on a 2005 EG and liked them, but yo have to drill the fairing.

You can put a quick detach kit on the Ultra. I have had quick detach on two different bikes plus on the wife's Streetglide, and I don't plan on it for my 2012 Limited. These things get loose and rattle when the nylon bushing in the mount wear a little.

My performance upgrades are as follows:

Screamin Eagle Air Cleaner $150
Rinehart 31/2" slip ons $585
Gutted cat from head pipe Free if you know a welder
Power Commander V from Fuel Moto with a custom map for my mods. 299 from Fuel Moto

This setup gives an increase of about 13 HP, makes the throttle response much smoother, and relieves a lot of the right side heat all for around 1,000.

Bill

Last edited by billnourse; 11-23-2012 at 08:16 AM.
billnourse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 08:37 AM   #14 (permalink)
IronButt

Slick03 H-D wants to know Dino or Syn?
The detachable hardware is easy, I just did mine, as far as mirrors I used the H-D blindspot mirrors (they have a little longer stem and a different curve) cured my vision problem,,,I've ridden a couple of friends Streetglides with the fairing mount mirrors and all I could see was my elbows/arms.
Pipes and air cleaners are pretty much all over the board as to who likes what,,I went with the Screaming Eagle Ventilator air cleaner (it fits with the lowers off or on) and personally went with a 2 into 1 Drago's Dragula pipe(no cat and less heat) but as soon as you change pipes/air cleaner you will have to do some sort of tuning or the bike wont hardly run (I speak from experience on that one) til you do. Did this stuff on a 2013 110th anniversary Ultra Limited.
H-D Ventilator air cleaner Dyno by Doc/98hp & 107tq
CVO adjustable rear shocks
Leather C&C seat
Freedom 8" dark smoked windshield
Painted inner fairing
Streamliner boards/pegs
Nostalgic bag rails
10" Yaffe mini apes
Plus a lot more to come much to my wife's dismay

Slick03 H-D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 08:55 AM   #15 (permalink)
Seasoned Rider

Thanks guys. I will have to look into mirrors eventually. Stockers aren't too bad. I'm a little worried about the detachable tour pak now. I'll be honest I see it being off more than on so maybe that will save the bushings a little longer. As far as exhaust etc i think I have a lot more research to do.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement