2 part Road Glide Question : V-Twin Forum: Harley Davidson Forums
» Sponsors

» Insurance
Go Back   V-Twin Forum : Harley-Davidson Motorcycle Forums > General Discussion Forums > Harley-Davidson Touring
New User? Register Forgot Password

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-21-2012, 06:16 PM   #1 (permalink)
FNG :)

Mikeycoyote wants to know Dino or Syn?
2 part Road Glide Question

The itch for a new bike has struck again and I am looking strongly at a few Road Glide customs. To that end I am looking to those in the know, namely you:

1. Why shouldn't I buy one? This is a serious question. Everybody asks what is good about a bike but I want to know what's bad about these. If you can't find a reason why not to buy one what don't you like about them (besides style issues, we all like our bikes the best).

2. This is for those in the know. What year is the best? () humour me, I've seen some of the posts but would like to revisit the pro's and cons of the different years.

Just to narrow the field a bit I am looking at:

4 different 2001's including a FLTRSEI2 (screaming eagle), and Road King Police (never seen one) and 2 RG Customs. Not all are Fuel Injected;
An 06 RG Ultra (the beer box is not removeable);
A 2010 RG Custom; and
A 2012 Custom.

If you have another year that's specifically important, either to stay away from or just to mention the finer points, please bring it up.

Seeing as I rarely post on here but have been a member for a few years I'll give you a little background (don't want to have to send the admins to the archives for my intro):

I'm in my mid 40's;
have riden since I was 10ish;
Street Legal with big boy bikes at around 20;
stopped for a dozen years in the early 90's to make then raise babies;
rekindled my love for riding, and removed my wife from the equation in 2005 (you call it a mid life crisis I call it returning to my roots, neither one of us is correct);
Have two bikes currently, a 99 Vstar 650 and a 86/7 FXWG (mostly); and
Am looking for a fuel injected touring bike that I can take the beer box off of and still look half decently cool. Lowers are not a huge issue but comfort of my new Girl definitely has some primacy. To that end I am willing to run with two different seats, the comfy one can sit with the beer box in the rafters when not in use.

PS: to those I haven't welcomed since I joined this forum "Welcome!!" and to those I haven't seen in a while "long time now see HowRYa?"

1987 FXWG
1999 Yamaha Vstar 650

Never approach a bull from the front, a horse from the rear or a fool from any direction
Mikeycoyote is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-21-2012, 06:25 PM   #2 (permalink)
Ironbutt

MilesToGo wants to know Dino or Syn?
As long as you like the style, the RG is as good as any other Harley. It's the same bike as any other e-glide except it has the frame mounted fairing. Some swear it rides and handles better but i say ride them all before you make a decision. I think most will agree that given the choice they would choose an 09 or newer bike. There again, you would probably need to ride an older bike and then a newer one to decide. Some guys are perfectly happy with the old frame and 5 speed tranny. I say they have probably not ridden one of the newer bikes.
2003 Heritage Softail Classic
- 95ci, stage III heads, RB LSR exhaust, S&S 510 cams, 100hp 102tq
MilesToGo is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-21-2012, 06:54 PM   #3 (permalink)
IronButt

Lefty is reading this now saying WTF is this? Lefty is reading this now saying WTF is this?
The '12 roadglide custom models come with the 103 standard. Earlier do not. I have an '11 roadglide custom 103 w/ABS that I'm very pleased with after 18 months and 12k miles. I have a detachable box and two seats for the same reason you mentioned. Also, the custom windscreen is for looks, not function and must be changed.

This is my 3rd HD and I think my 8th bike. Having ridden most Harleys and Asian sport tourers, I wouldn't trade it for any other HD.

Sent from my iPhone using MO Free
Lefty is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-21-2012, 07:40 PM   #4 (permalink)
IronButt

RG50 wants to know Dino or Syn?
I rode an '06 for 4+ years.Great bike.
Removal and install of the outer fairing can be a little tricky.
Old 11-21-2012, 07:42 PM   #5 (permalink)

Thanks for the quick responses. I am hearing that some years came with a frame that is a variation of the FXR frame. Any truth to that? I've been looking for confirmation, or even proof the frame is different than the e-glide and I can't find it.

1987 FXWG
1999 Yamaha Vstar 650

Never approach a bull from the front, a horse from the rear or a fool from any direction
Old 11-21-2012, 09:14 PM   #6 (permalink)
Lifetime Premium

LoneEagle964 wants to know Dino or Syn?
The one biggest complaint that people have with the RG is buffetting the air flow is different than the batwing fairings and it can be difficult to find the right windshield to suit some people . As for your question on the frame to my knowledge all the touring bikes use the same frame , and all the touring line frames were revamped in 08 and as was stated the 12 bikes come with the 103 .

as for myself I love my 01 shark its a great bike both around town and long haul.

LoneEagle
LoneEagle964 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-21-2012, 11:58 PM   #7 (permalink)
IronButt

smitty901 wants to know Dino or Syn?
Don't buy a RG,RGC or RGU if you care what others think. You going to get some that will give you that it anit a Harley line.
If budget can swing it go 2009 or newer the new frame and tire size change is great. All touring bikes use the same frame they just hang different stuff on it.
The 2011 RGU was the first to come with the 103 standard in 20122 the rest followed.

RG need a real windshield that low cut cool looking stuff did not cut it for me.
This is my 3rd RG and not buffeting issue with a real windshield, And I do crank out some miles in all kind of weather.
Why buy a RG because the are great road bikes.
Old 11-22-2012, 12:11 AM   #8 (permalink)
IronButt

RGRider is reading this now saying WTF is this?
I LOVE my Road Glide. It took a few different windshield/helmet and other part combo's to get it right but now I get nice sweet spot of NO buffeting. Buffeting is not the same as wind; I get nice clean non-turbulent air around me. I use a Cee Bailey's TRSSC Euro windshield with a half-helmet and vented lower fairings and all is well.
RGRider is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-22-2012, 12:38 AM   #9 (permalink)
Lifetime Premium

strokerjlk is reading this now saying WTF is this?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikeycoyote View Post
Thanks for the quick responses. I am hearing that some years came with a frame that is a variation of the FXR frame. Any truth to that? I've been looking for confirmation, or even proof the frame is different than the e-glide and I can't find it.
your going to have to go back to a glide as old as your w/g
SE 218
DR 218

Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.
strokerjlk is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-22-2012, 09:47 AM   #10 (permalink)
Seasoned Rider

tj316 wants to know Dino or Syn?
I rode an Electra Glide for 10 years before getting a Road Glide Custom in 2011 with the 103 motor , abs brakes and security system , I would never go back to the traditional batwing fairing , the Road Glide cuts through the wind and handles so much better , if your budget allows get the newer frame , 6 speed tranny and 103 motor
2011 FLTRX 103 , Baisley Heads , T Man 600 cams , TTS Master Tuner , Drago 2-1 pipe , Hawg Wired amp/speakers , Dakota Digital Gauges , Ohlins #6 shocks & 30mm fork cartridges , Lyndall Rotors , BR Handlebars ,Jagg fan assited oil cooler and so much more
tj316 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-22-2012, 12:26 PM   #11 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by strokerjlk View Post
your going to have to go back to a glide as old as your w/g
Well that's not a problem either. I know more about those bikes anyway. I was looking to boost my knowledge a bit with a FI bike. That and I was looking to gain a little more leg in the top end.

1987 FXWG
1999 Yamaha Vstar 650

Last edited by Mikeycoyote; 11-22-2012 at 12:43 PM. Reason: just forgetting how to work in forums.
Old 12-16-2012, 08:29 AM   #12 (permalink)

Just a quick response to all to end the thread. I weighed my options and went to the my local dealer Barrie Harley Davidson and bought a new Road Glide Custom. Factors that weighed in for me were:

After talking to numerous people I know and trust I decided I wanted a 2010 and later due to a frame, engine mount change;
The 2010's I could find here were going for anywhere from same as MSRP to $3000 less than new; and
With incentives I got a great deal on a new 2012 that put it in my garage for less than some of the used on the market.

Interesting point, when I bought the extended warranty the interest rate reduction actually saved me money. I had to make a custom package to pull it off though. And yes I financed the full amount. Pics will be going into the Road Glide thread.

1987 FXWG
1999 Yamaha Vstar 650

Old 12-16-2012, 11:01 AM   #13 (permalink)
Master Motorhead

Thermodyne is reading this now saying WTF is this? Thermodyne is reading this now saying WTF is this?
It's all about personal preference. Some like the looks, some don't. As for ride, both fairings are equal. Bats are better in some conditions, fixed are better in other conditions.

I've been riding an 11 TRX with a 103 for a year now, and except for the very poor quality/reliability that is the MoCo these days, I'm happy with it.

But........If I had it to do over, I would have bought an Ultra and made the tour pack detachable. I ended up go with a 21 inch shield and later added lowers, so It would have been close to the same money. The TRU also comes with the larger front tire, which seems to ride a little better.
Old 12-16-2012, 11:16 AM   #14 (permalink)
IronButt

Nitram_b4 is reading this now saying WTF is this?
Big RG fan here
Nitram_b4 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-16-2012, 12:21 PM   #15 (permalink)
Seasoned Rider

Magnum wants to know Dino or Syn?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikeycoyote View Post
FXRT Sport glide came out around 83 and diappeared in 93. It was a Super Glide variant with a frame mounted fairing and saddle bags. I owned a 92 model. http://www.motorcyclespecs.co.za/mod...port_glide.htm
The tourglide was also around in the 80s thru 90s and is the pre-runner to our current Road Glide with the tourbike frame. It was the same frame as the Electra-glides but I think the steering angle was different. http://www.motorcyclespecs.co.za/mod...0clas%2080.htm In 2009 HD upgraded the touring bike frames and engine mount system. This results in a MUCH more stable ride when running too fast in hard switchbacks. I've owned Harleys since 1986 and the handling of each varies a bit from bike to bike but for the Touring model line the new frame on the 09 and up is worth every penny. It alleviated a lot of the tail wag when leaning quickly from side to side, crossing rain grooves and tarstrips while leaned into a turn. I also like the Roadglide because the steering is lighter than the Ultra. It has no fairing, radio, headlight or other Batwing type items hanging on the triple trees.
Wife asked for her own and got it, 2010 FLHXXX Trike: SE Fatshotz, Fuel Moto air cleaner, Nightrider 13.8 XIEDs, 27,458 miles
Magnum is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the V-Twin Forum : Harley-Davidson Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. WE WILL SEND A CONFIRMATION EMAIL TO THE ADDRESS YOU PROVIDE. If the email address is NOT VALID, you will not be given access to the system!
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.