V-Twin Forum banner

Fast idle problem

12K views 8 replies 7 participants last post by  93Horse 
#1 ·
I think I might have a bad temp sensor. The first time I start up my Road King it runs at 1800 RPM for 4 to 7 minutes. It doesnt matter what the weather is warm or cold. It can't take 7 minutes for the bike to warm up when it's 80*. The local Harley dealer is just about worthless so I can't ask them. I had one independent shop tell me it might be an air leak. But when it comes off fast idle it idles at 1000 RPM and runs great. Any Suggestions?:hmmm:

#4 ·
I had a chance to check things out today. I uplugged the TPS and reconnected it a few times. I checked cables, looked for anything sticking or hanging up (found nothing). I started the bike and WOW 1500 RPM not 1800. In two minutes it was running at 1000 RPM. It has never done that in the month that I have had it. Must have been the connection on the TPS. We will see what happens tomorrow morning......

#5 ·
Not sure if you fixed your problem, or what year your bike is. If it has TBW then make sure you let the engine idle all the way down before you shut it off. Mine was having a similar problem. Pulling into my garage i would throttle to get in and just shut it off and coast the last couple feet. The CPU will sometimes revert the idle to the last rpm the bike was shut off at. My local indy told me this and ever since I jsut make sure the bike rpms down to idle before shutting off and have never again had a high idle issue.

#8 ·
Not knowing the year of your machine, it might not even have an idle control valve. If it is throttle by wire, a previous entry talked about the cause and what to do to avoid further high idle. To positively reset the idle on TBW, be sure the shutoff switch (on the right switch box) is ON. Don't touch the throttle and turn the master switch on and off 4 times allowing a few seconds between each cycle.

If you use the shutoff switch to shut down, it is very easy to roll the throttle slightly forward when reaching for the switch. That slightly forward position is stored as the normal idle. At the next start, the throttle is now at the "no hands" idle position which is now above the idle position at the last shutdown so the rpm is higher because the computer believes you have twisted the throttle above idle. Hope this isn't too confusing.

Any time you have a question about your machine, specifying the year and model will make the answers more applicable to your bike.

#9 ·
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.