Neck bearing adjustment : V-Twin Forum: Harley Davidson Forums
» Sponsors

» Insurance
Go Back   V-Twin Forum : Harley-Davidson Motorcycle Forums > General Discussion Forums > Harley-Davidson Touring
New User? Register Forgot Password

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-17-2012, 08:58 AM   #1 (permalink)
IronButt

monkeybutt wants to know Dino or Syn?
Neck bearing adjustment

Anyone here adjust the steering neck bearings on a 2012 or recent FLTRX? I have done my 1k service with the exception of tightening the neck bearing. I have the service manuel and started to do this the other day just to get started and see where the manuel states you need to make a homemade tool to adjust the bearing (really?? homemade tool??). Then it shows where you need a special tool to align the ignition switch after removing it. Anyone done this that has any tips or tricks to make it a little easier?
monkeybutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-17-2012, 09:06 AM   #2 (permalink)
Premium octane member

TXCHOP wants to know Dino or Syn?
You dont need any of that. Does make the job easier though.
The tool you have to make, i just use a long screw driver. I ground the tip a bit to make it work better, but not totally necessary.
As for the ignition tool, you dont need that at all. You can use a flat screw driver as well, but the proper tool make life really easy, and its good to have...

http://www.marcparnes.com/HarleyIgnitionSwitchTool.htm

or...
Old 11-17-2012, 09:51 AM   #3 (permalink)
Seasoned Rider

disco wants to know Dino or Syn?
FYI, you don't need to go to the fork lock position to remove the switch. It can be done in the "ignition off" position also. This will allow you to swing the forks with out screwing around with special tools, screw drivers etc. If you don't move the switch internals it is much easier to reassemble.
Old 11-17-2012, 10:34 AM   #4 (permalink)
IronButt

Thanks Dan and Disco, probably do that this weekend.
Old 11-17-2012, 05:20 PM   #5 (permalink)
IronButt

RG50 wants to know Dino or Syn?
Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeybutt View Post
Anyone here adjust the steering neck bearings on a 2012 or recent FLTRX? I have done my 1k service with the exception of tightening the neck bearing.
Does the 1K service say to adjust or are you having problems?
Old 11-17-2012, 06:43 PM   #6 (permalink)
IronButt

It says to check it and mine is a little loose. From what I understand a lot of them come that way.
Old 11-17-2012, 06:57 PM   #7 (permalink)
IronButt

bigal51 wants to know Dino or Syn?
2013 fltru owners manuel says to "lubricate" sterring head bearings at 1000 mile service. "Adjust" at 25000 mile service. Grease fitting on lower left side of frame neck.
Old 11-18-2012, 07:14 AM   #8 (permalink)
IronButt

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigal51 View Post
2013 fltru owners manuel says to "lubricate" sterring head bearings at 1000 mile service. "Adjust" at 25000 mile service. Grease fitting on lower left side of frame neck.
Thank you for that. My 2012 manuel also says to lubricate at 1000 and adjust at 25000, but where it shows a picture of where the grease fitting is for the neck bearing, it also says how to check it. According to my 2012 service manuel for the FLTRX it says to lift the front of the bike off the ground and turn the handlebars all the way to one side and it should swing back a minimum of one swing to a maximum of two. Mine swings back and forth four times. It's loose. So you think I should go ahead and wait for 25000 anyway?
Old 11-18-2012, 07:37 AM   #9 (permalink)
IronButt

RG50 wants to know Dino or Syn?
Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeybutt View Post
Mine swings back and forth four times. It's loose. So you think I should go ahead and wait for 25000 anyway?
One thing you should try first is to grease the neck.
Dont just pump in a couple of squirts but keep pumping grease in until it purges out from the bottom bearing.
It could take 25-50 pumps to do this beacuse the factory only lubes the bearing and race and there is a cavity to fill because there is no grease in there.

After it's lubed,try the swingaway again and see if it's less.
Old 11-18-2012, 07:41 AM   #10 (permalink)
IronButt

Mike02 wants to know Dino or Syn?
Suggest that before attempting to adjust the bearing is grease it thoroughly as RG50 mentioned.. It takes quite a bit of grease... you should see a big difference!
Mike02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 08:16 AM   #11 (permalink)
IronButt

Actually my last question was a little cynical. I'll try greasing more. I pumped about ten pumps in it and didn't notice any difference, but I'll try until it comes out and see if that helps. That would be a lot less trouble if it does the trick. Thanks for the help.
Old 11-18-2012, 08:38 AM   #12 (permalink)
IronButt

You should see a significant difference (positive) once it's filled w/grease!
Old 11-18-2012, 05:40 PM   #13 (permalink)
IronButt

bigal51 wants to know Dino or Syn?
Quote:
Originally Posted by RG50 View Post
One thing you should try first is to grease the neck.
Dont just pump in a couple of squirts but keep pumping grease in until it purges out from the bottom bearing.
It could take 25-50 pumps to do this beacuse the factory only lubes the bearing and race and there is a cavity to fill because there is no grease in there.

After it's lubed,try the swingaway again and see if it's less.
+1! Use a high temp grease that won't melt when it gets hot. I made that mistake ad the grease bled down on my fender for 6 monthes.
Old 11-18-2012, 06:49 PM   #14 (permalink)
IronButt

Also use a grease that won't get rock hard in cold weather if where you ride gets cold in the fall/winter...
Old 11-18-2012, 07:06 PM   #15 (permalink)
Premium Member

autoworker wants to know Dino or Syn?
Road Glides are known for loose neck bearings as delivered.My dealer snugged mine up a bit under warranty.I purchased it late fall and took it in the following spring.
Advertisement