Gerbing gear & FLHRCI : V-Twin Forum: Harley Davidson Forums
» Sponsors

» Insurance
Go Back   V-Twin Forum : Harley-Davidson Motorcycle Forums > General Discussion Forums > Harley-Davidson Touring
New User? Register Forgot Password

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-16-2012, 08:07 AM   #1 (permalink)
Lifetime Premium

plongson wants to know Dino or Syn?
Gerbing gear & FLHRCI

Looking at some Gerbing heated gear that totals 8.6 amps. What is the available output on a stock 2005 Roadking Classic alternator?

Will it handle a heated jacket liner and gloves??

plongson is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-16-2012, 08:31 AM   #2 (permalink)
Lifetime Premium

strokerjlk wants to know Dino or Syn?
It takes 22-23 amps to run a EFI bike.
You have 20 to spare you will be fine.
SE 218
DR 218

Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.
strokerjlk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 08:36 AM   #3 (permalink)
Lifetime Premium

Thanks Stroke...

Old 11-16-2012, 08:39 AM   #4 (permalink)
merry old soul

Road King Cole is reading this now saying WTF is this? Road King Cole is reading this now saying WTF is this?
Quote:
Originally Posted by strokerjlk View Post
It takes 22-23 amps to run a EFI bike.
You have 20 to spare you will be fine.
and in more detail from the above wise and reputable contributor:

"Just figure 25 Amps to run EFI
2-3 amps is needed to charge the battery.
Gives you 23-25 amps to play with for gear if you have 50 amps.
Just do the math as you add on
Gloves 2.2 amps
Vest 4 amps
Liner jacket 6 amps
Pants 4-6 amps
Socks 1.5 - 2 amps
Or figure it up in watts."

and btw, you are gonna love them!

rkc
Old 11-16-2012, 08:44 AM   #5 (permalink)
Lifetime Premium

I just didn't know what the output of the alternator is. Plus I'd hate to run it near it's limit, that couldn't be good for hours at a time...LOL

Sounds like there is a fair amount of reserve in the system.

BTW, what is the preferred way to connect to the battery on a RoadKing? Use the Gerbing plug setup or wire in a cig lighter type plug??

Last edited by plongson; 11-16-2012 at 08:47 AM.
Old 11-16-2012, 12:56 PM   #6 (permalink)
Seasoned Rider

Hammerhead Pat wants to know Dino or Syn?
Quote:
Originally Posted by plongson View Post
I just didn't know what the output of the alternator is. Plus I'd hate to run it near it's limit, that couldn't be good for hours at a time...LOL

Sounds like there is a fair amount of reserve in the system.

BTW, what is the preferred way to connect to the battery on a RoadKing? Use the Gerbing plug setup or wire in a cig lighter type plug??
Iused the Gerbing / battery setup. I just pulled the plug out on the left side of the bike and wire-tied it to the saddlebag guard just below the seat, real accessible. I've also seen it pulled up just in front of the seat..
Hammerhead Pat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 01:07 PM   #7 (permalink)
IronButt

spdrcr137 wants to know Dino or Syn?
That sounds toasty
spdrcr137 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 02:20 PM   #8 (permalink)
IronButt

ultra103 wants to know Dino or Syn?
Off topic a bit, but below 35* I throw on a pair of sweat pants over my jeans. Makes for a warm and comfortable ride!
ultra103 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 02:34 PM   #9 (permalink)
Lifetime Premium

strokerjlk wants to know Dino or Syn?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hammerhead Pat View Post
Iused the Gerbing / battery setup. I just pulled the plug out on the left side of the bike and wire-tied it to the saddlebag guard just below the seat, real accessible. I've also seen it pulled up just in front of the seat..
That is how I do it also
SE 218
DR 218

Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.
strokerjlk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 06:29 PM   #10 (permalink)
Premium Member

laserp wants to know Dino or Syn?
Anybody notice the plug unit in the jacket, inside lower left, getting smoking hot? Mine gets so hot it almost burns my gut.
02 FLSTCI 117, Darkhorsed, Baisley Pro-Street Heads & corrected geo. roller rockers, Axtell kit 20 deg. rev. dome pistons 11.5:1, HPI 55/58mm MaxFlow tb, Tman TR-662-2 & 3 stage pump, Boarzilla, Barnett Scorpion clutch, Jag 10 row oil cooler, tuned w/ Twin Scan II+/WEGO IIID

10 Ultra Limited 103, Andrews 54 cam, SEAC mod breather, Bigboyz ported heads @10.2 comp, Jackpot 2-1-2 header and Dyno tuned muffs, TTS, tuned w/ Twin Scan II+/WEGO IIID
laserp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 07:31 PM   #11 (permalink)
Seasoned Rider

ULimited12 wants to know Dino or Syn?
I use Gerbing jacket and gloves. I bought 3 items: Gloves, jacket, and regulator&wiring. The wiring kit comes with a standard crimped connector that you can screw onto the battery posts. That's what I did and ran the feed under my seat with cable ties to the saddle bag gaurd. That wire from the battery has a single wire fuse and it comes with several fuses to pick from up to 20 or 25--based on the load.

I put in the highest rated fuse and have no problems. I'm still a work in progress with the wiring. Even though the gloves plug into the jacket, which simplifies things, it still is cumbersome figuring out where to stick the regulator so you can adjust it while riding. I'm thinking it might be best to put a lighter-type jack in the fairing and use a spring cord. Dunno yet but it sure does keep you warm. 30 degrees 65mph and I had it set on the lower end and all I had on top was my HD rain jacket to cut the wind.

Good stuff
ULimited12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 01:12 AM   #12 (permalink)
IronButt

Location: Motto.. Live for today becuase you never know what tomorrow brings...
1L243 wants to know Dino or Syn?
I run jacket liner and gloves. I also have pants and socks. I only run pants and socks whenit gets down in the 20's. Needless to say I dont use them much.

And those ratings will be at full power which I doubt you will be running with the Gerbing thermostat. It gets real toasty at full power.

I run alot of lights on the ultra including the Aux passing lamps. I do notice my volt meter dropping down to 12 volts if stopped and idling like at a light. If I get stuck for an extended time I will either turn off the Gerbings or the passing lamps.

Laserp; Sounds like you may have a bad connection. Check for corosion inside the connector. Clean and coat with dome dielectric grease.

I have done alot of business with Gerbings. I live close enough to drive into the store direct. I was not happy when they moved their production overseas but I guess you got to do what you got to do to compete. They have always treated me very well for any replacements or returns.
Old 11-23-2012, 04:57 PM   #13 (permalink)
Premium Member

laserp wants to know Dino or Syn?
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1L243 View Post
Laserp; Sounds like you may have a bad connection. Check for corosion inside the connector. Clean and coat with dome dielectric grease.
Thanks for the feedback 1L243. No corrosion anywhere... , but I agree with the bad connection thing.. I fried one of the double analog controllers and they replaced it. It was smoking hot in the same place, then quit. My guess is I have a defective jacket connector unit. I'll call them again and see what they say...

Laserp
02 FLSTCI 117, Darkhorsed, Baisley Pro-Street Heads & corrected geo. roller rockers, Axtell kit 20 deg. rev. dome pistons 11.5:1, HPI 55/58mm MaxFlow tb, Tman TR-662-2 & 3 stage pump, Boarzilla, Barnett Scorpion clutch, Jag 10 row oil cooler, tuned w/ Twin Scan II+/WEGO IIID

10 Ultra Limited 103, Andrews 54 cam, SEAC mod breather, Bigboyz ported heads @10.2 comp, Jackpot 2-1-2 header and Dyno tuned muffs, TTS, tuned w/ Twin Scan II+/WEGO IIID
laserp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 04:30 PM   #14 (permalink)
IronButt

coastie56 is reading this now saying WTF is this?
Used my vest or liner and sometimes 2 vests on my 03 RK for 10 years with no problems. Guarantee your gonna love em. The jacket liner works so well I haven't needed to get the gloves yet even in Michigan. Still plan to get them though. Ditto on the sweat pants but I used to wear them under the jeans. They're better than long johns. I was a splicer for Ma Bell so you had to keep warm in the winter when you're up poles all day! My beard used to freeze solid! LOL I wish I would have engineered a set to run off the C.O. voltage in the phone lines! Probably not enough amps, but there was 48 volts. Course if the line I hooked onto got an incoming call it could have 'lectracuted my nipples!
coastie56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 04:50 PM   #15 (permalink)
Lifetime Premium

Well, I told Mrs. Claus I wanted headed clothes for Christmas and I got the go-a-head. I just ordered a jacket liner, gloves, controller and a few odds and ends. frigg'n $536 clams...ouch. I was thinking with the cig. adapter I can also use the set on my Honda Rincon 4-wheeler

Should be real nice though...

Thanks for all the advise!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement