V-Twin Forum banner

Gerbing gear & FLHRCI

2K views 15 replies 10 participants last post by  coastie56 
#1 ·
Looking at some Gerbing heated gear that totals 8.6 amps. What is the available output on a stock 2005 Roadking Classic alternator?

Will it handle a heated jacket liner and gloves??

#4 ·
and in more detail from the above wise and reputable contributor:

"Just figure 25 Amps to run EFI
2-3 amps is needed to charge the battery.
Gives you 23-25 amps to play with for gear if you have 50 amps.
Just do the math as you add on
Gloves 2.2 amps
Vest 4 amps
Liner jacket 6 amps
Pants 4-6 amps
Socks 1.5 - 2 amps
Or figure it up in watts."

and btw, you are gonna love them!

rkc

#5 · (Edited)
I just didn't know what the output of the alternator is. Plus I'd hate to run it near it's limit, that couldn't be good for hours at a time...LOL

Sounds like there is a fair amount of reserve in the system.

BTW, what is the preferred way to connect to the battery on a RoadKing? Use the Gerbing plug setup or wire in a cig lighter type plug??

#10 ·
Anybody notice the plug unit in the jacket, inside lower left, getting smoking hot? Mine gets so hot it almost burns my gut.

#11 ·
I use Gerbing jacket and gloves. I bought 3 items: Gloves, jacket, and regulator&wiring. The wiring kit comes with a standard crimped connector that you can screw onto the battery posts. That's what I did and ran the feed under my seat with cable ties to the saddle bag gaurd. That wire from the battery has a single wire fuse and it comes with several fuses to pick from up to 20 or 25--based on the load.

I put in the highest rated fuse and have no problems. I'm still a work in progress with the wiring. Even though the gloves plug into the jacket, which simplifies things, it still is cumbersome figuring out where to stick the regulator so you can adjust it while riding. I'm thinking it might be best to put a lighter-type jack in the fairing and use a spring cord. Dunno yet but it sure does keep you warm. 30 degrees 65mph and I had it set on the lower end and all I had on top was my HD rain jacket to cut the wind.

Good stuff

#12 ·
I run jacket liner and gloves. I also have pants and socks. I only run pants and socks whenit gets down in the 20's. Needless to say I dont use them much.

And those ratings will be at full power which I doubt you will be running with the Gerbing thermostat. It gets real toasty at full power.

I run alot of lights on the ultra including the Aux passing lamps. I do notice my volt meter dropping down to 12 volts if stopped and idling like at a light. If I get stuck for an extended time I will either turn off the Gerbings or the passing lamps.

Laserp; Sounds like you may have a bad connection. Check for corosion inside the connector. Clean and coat with dome dielectric grease.

I have done alot of business with Gerbings. I live close enough to drive into the store direct. I was not happy when they moved their production overseas but I guess you got to do what you got to do to compete. They have always treated me very well for any replacements or returns.

#13 ·
Laserp; Sounds like you may have a bad connection. Check for corosion inside the connector. Clean and coat with dome dielectric grease.
Thanks for the feedback 1L243. No corrosion anywhere... , but I agree with the bad connection thing.. I fried one of the double analog controllers and they replaced it. It was smoking hot in the same place, then quit. My guess is I have a defective jacket connector unit. I'll call them again and see what they say...

Laserp

#14 ·
:redrolf:Used my vest or liner and sometimes 2 vests on my 03 RK for 10 years with no problems. Guarantee your gonna love em. The jacket liner works so well I haven't needed to get the gloves yet even in Michigan. Still plan to get them though. Ditto on the sweat pants but I used to wear them under the jeans. They're better than long johns. I was a splicer for Ma Bell so you had to keep warm in the winter when you're up poles all day! My beard used to freeze solid! LOL I wish I would have engineered a set to run off the C.O. voltage in the phone lines! Probably not enough amps, but there was 48 volts. Course if the line I hooked onto got an incoming call it could have 'lectracuted my nipples!:redrolf:

#15 ·
Well, I told Mrs. Claus I wanted headed clothes for Christmas and I got the go-a-head. I just ordered a jacket liner, gloves, controller and a few odds and ends. frigg'n $536 clams...ouch. I was thinking with the cig. adapter I can also use the set on my Honda Rincon 4-wheeler

Should be real nice though...

Thanks for all the advise!

#16 ·
Believe me the first time you ride in the 40s you'll forget all about how much the heated gear costs. It's an amazing thing to suddenly realize your warm as toast and you just got down to the stop sign at the corner. I also bought a full face helmet from HJC. It felt tight at first and then i found out they sell different size interior pads. Voila, your face isn't cold anymore either. With my liner and insulated pants from Tourmaster I'm warm without a lot of bulky layers.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.