Intercom and headsets : V-Twin Forum: Harley Davidson Forums
» Sponsors

» Insurance
Go Back   V-Twin Forum : Harley-Davidson Motorcycle Forums > General Discussion Forums > Harley-Davidson Touring
New User? Register Forgot Password

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-15-2012, 07:01 AM   #1 (permalink)
Seasoned Rider

ULimited12 wants to know Dino or Syn?
Intercom and headsets

I bought a 2012 limited that came with one wired headset. I haven't done anything to mount it yet because I need to buy one for my wife's helmet too. (no comments required) Is it worth the investment to go with bluetooth? It seems pretty pricey but it seems like a better way to go. The cost it what stops me though. I can buy a second headset from J&M (for me) and the cost is around $200. If I go with a bluetooth set it's $400-$600. I plan to do this once so I do not want to experiment with off brand stuff.

Any experience, suggestions ?
ULimited12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-15-2012, 08:01 AM   #2 (permalink)
Lifetime Premium

plongson wants to know Dino or Syn?
This last year we went from CARDO to SENA and while the cardo is good, the SENA is amazing. To be sure it's definatly worth the price. Highly recommended...

As for the MoCo...Come on guys, make BT communication AVAILABLE on these big touring bikes! Wired units are history.

Last edited by plongson; 11-15-2012 at 05:49 PM.
plongson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 12:10 PM   #3 (permalink)
IronButt

MikeYork5 wants to know Dino or Syn?
If you just want to communicate with your wife and other CB equipped bikes, the cheapest way to go is to buy another headset - you can get them for around $80. I bought one, a major brand (not J & M) whose names escapes me right now, but it works fine. If you want to use your phone, other media devices and communicate with other non CB equipped but BT equipped bike go with a BT setup - IMHO.

"When ifs and buts are candy and nuts, oh what a world it will be"

The MAIN THING is too keep the Main Thing the Main Thing
MikeYork5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 03:47 PM   #4 (permalink)
IronButt

Mike02 wants to know Dino or Syn?
Just don't get get

Why would anyone wnt to talk to someone while riding? Something I don't get. I ride to get away and enjoy riding.. sounds, smells, views... and nobody talking..
Mike02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 05:16 PM   #5 (permalink)
IronButt

1rusty1 wants to know Dino or Syn?
My wife and I like to be able to talk when we ride so I picked up some wired headsets on ebay for around 75.00. They work great. I think bt would have been nicer but no point in paying the price unless you plan on talking to other bikers in your group. They do make a bt adaptor that will plug into the bikes wired system that I may end up getting down the road

http://www.spoiledbiker.com/product3326.html
1rusty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 06:37 PM   #6 (permalink)
Lifetime Premium

bcomes wants to know Dino or Syn?
I have the wired J&M headsets that plug into the bike. I don't mind the cord and I certainly don't mind not having to charge or replace batteries.

One other consideration might be getting the gear wet. I've soaked the J&M microphones and headsets (one is a half-helmet unit with the leather pockets for the speakers) and they still work. Not sure how the BT units might hold up going down the road for a few hours in a downpour.
bcomes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 07:11 PM   #7 (permalink)
Seasoned Rider

ULimited12 wants to know Dino or Syn?
thanks
for the ideas

Last edited by ULimited12; 11-15-2012 at 07:17 PM.
ULimited12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 01:23 AM   #8 (permalink)
IronButt

Location: Motto.. Live for today becuase you never know what tomorrow brings...
1L243 wants to know Dino or Syn?
I have always ran J&M headsets with two piece cords. The HD headsets that came with my Ultras (3 of them) were one piece cords and did not mate well with the full face helmets I used.

You can buy your helmets from J&M with headsets installed spendy but nice. J&M has treated me well for any returns and repairs for no charge.

Not only will you like the headsets for the intercom but I like to listen to music and they work great for that as well.

I researched BT and did not like the recharging and the cost.
Old 11-18-2012, 07:20 PM   #9 (permalink)
Ibc
IronButt

Ibc wants to know Dino or Syn?
Lot to consider here. If you want to go with a wired headset/mic, check Whitehorse Gear. I have bought two IMC sets for about $35 each. These worked ok, the primary cable plugs right into the Harley socket without any adapters. I don;'t like the intercom units which require a comm box clipped some where on you or your bike.
If you want to go "wireless", the brands mentioned would work fine. Keep in mind there are different models. One model is just for intercom, blue tooth to your phone, Ipad etc. The other model does all that, plus allows wireless comm to other riders who have the same comm gear up to 1/4 mile away.
If you get a set that requires earphones in your helmet, the best thing would be to pull your cheek pads and cut some material out to mount the head phone/speaker properly. Hope this helps.
Old 11-20-2012, 10:23 AM   #10 (permalink)
FNG :)

Linerider wants to know Dino or Syn?
Been riding with the J&M corded headset for years and have been very happy with the sound from the helmet speakers and the CB communication. (I don't ride 2-up, so can't respond about the intercom). I notice that the J&M is much clearer than the guys that I ride with that use the Harley setup. That being said, my next upgrade will be to go bluetooth and wireless. The Sena has had great reviews, and a rider friend of mine has it and has said good things. However, it will not integrate into the HD Ultra set up without a dongle (weird word). If you are running a Garmin 550 or above, you can link it to that. Or, link it to your iPhone for the music and to be able to use your cell phone. If you are into keeping it simple, go with the J&M wired speakers and mic. Just my 2c.
Linerider is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement