Rotating oil cooler base? : V-Twin Forum: Harley Davidson Forums
» Sponsors

» Insurance
Go Back   V-Twin Forum : Harley-Davidson Motorcycle Forums > General Discussion Forums > Harley-Davidson Touring
New User? Register Forgot Password

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-12-2012, 08:25 PM   #1 (permalink)
Premium Member

rickr01 wants to know Dino or Syn?
Rotating oil cooler base?

How many folks with Harley oil coolers are having problems with the filter base plate rotating when putting a new filter on or taking one off during a change? I see that Jagg has an anti rotational device to stop this from happening. I've been hearing more and more stories about leaks caused by the base rotating. Trying to get a feel as to if there is merit to this or if its just a few odd cases of bitching about what a few perceive as inferior Harley products?
rickr01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-29-2012, 09:44 AM   #2 (permalink)
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickr01 View Post
How many folks with Harley oil coolers are having problems with the filter base plate rotating when putting a new filter on or taking one off during a change? I see that Jagg has an anti rotational device to stop this from happening. I've been hearing more and more stories about leaks caused by the base rotating. Trying to get a feel as to if there is merit to this or if its just a few odd cases of bitching about what a few perceive as inferior Harley products?

REVIVED! Anybody?
Old 12-29-2012, 11:18 AM   #3 (permalink)
IronButt

AlanS wants to know Dino or Syn?
I recall that the 'earlier' (not sure of the year, maybe prior to 04/05?) adapters, associated with the oil-coolers Harley sold, would tend to spin when removing the filter. HD addressed this by adding a flange to the adapter. The flange fits snug into a recess in the case, thereby preventing the adapter from turning in either direction once it's attached. (When I say 'adapter', just to be clear it's what you call the 'filter base plate').

If you have one of the earlier oil-cooler kits, chances are good this is the issue.

You can do a Google search for 'Harley oil cooler' and likely come up with part nos. I don't know if you can purchase the filter base plate as a separate piece, or if you need to buy the works. You could certainly just go with the plate alone, and not change the cooler or hoses though, I'd think...

Alan

Last edited by AlanS; 12-29-2012 at 11:23 AM.
AlanS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 11:22 AM   #4 (permalink)
not sober all the time

Uncle Salty is reading this now saying WTF is this?
I have a Jagg setup without the anti rotational device. The base will rotate at times but it hasn't created a problem.
Uncle Salty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 11:58 AM   #5 (permalink)
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlanS View Post
I recall that the 'earlier' (not sure of the year, maybe prior to 04/05?) adapters, associated with the oil-coolers Harley sold, would tend to spin when removing the filter. HD addressed this by adding a flange to the adapter. The flange fits snug into a recess in the case, thereby preventing the adapter from turning in either direction once it's attached. (When I say 'adapter', just to be clear it's what you call the 'filter base plate').

If you have one of the earlier oil-cooler kits, chances are good this is the issue.

You can do a Google search for 'Harley oil cooler' and likely come up with part nos. I don't know if you can purchase the filter base plate as a separate piece, or if you need to buy the works. You could certainly just go with the plate alone, and not change the cooler or hoses though, I'd think...

Alan

Thanks Alan... thats very good information to know. I wasn't aware that Harley addressed the issue! Thanks Again and Happy New Year!
Old 12-29-2012, 02:18 PM   #6 (permalink)
IronButt

werdna65 wants to know Dino or Syn?
On my 2011 RKC 103 the oil cooler base started to leak. The center bolt was not torqued right from the factory and the gasket would leak, replaced the gasket and properly torque the bolt it's been fine ever since
werdna65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 10:26 PM   #7 (permalink)
Seasoned Rider

bigdog1949 wants to know Dino or Syn?
i have an ultra cool unit and it moves also,as of yet no problems !!!
bigdog1949 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 07:17 AM   #8 (permalink)
Banned

webco2 wants to know Dino or Syn?
use http://gasgacinch.com and torque the bolt down correctly.
They have never moved on me .

webco2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 12:05 PM   #9 (permalink)
IronButt

RogerDodger wants to know Dino or Syn?
I fixed that issue on a bud's bike - his oil cooler now sits on his shelf. No more leaks (or frustration) caused by an unnecessary oil cooler.
RogerDodger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 05:21 PM   #10 (permalink)
Banned

webco2 wants to know Dino or Syn?
Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerDodger View Post
I fixed that issue on a bud's bike - his oil cooler now sits on his shelf. No more leaks (or frustration) caused by an unnecessary oil cooler.
Down here in God's country we need oil coolers tho. Temps get way out of control without them.

webco2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 12:46 PM   #11 (permalink)
IronButt

RogerDodger wants to know Dino or Syn?
Quote:
Originally Posted by webco2 View Post
Down here in God's country we need oil coolers tho. Temps get way out of control without them.

I know what you mean....up here next to the Devil's Domain it gets pretty dang warm too, we often see 100+ degrees.
That being said, if you keep air flowing past your motor it will stay cool enough, as will the oil.
RogerDodger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 03:54 PM   #12 (permalink)
IronButt

petew wants to know Dino or Syn?
Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerDodger View Post
I know what you mean....up here next to the Devil's Domain it gets pretty dang warm too, we often see 100+ degrees.
That being said, if you keep air flowing past your motor it will stay cool enough, as will the oil.
That's good to know, still send me an im and I will take that cooler off your hands for a fair price.
2011 FLTRX 103" Stage IV, HoleShot Choppers LED Lighting, SE 259E Cams, SE Super Tuner, SE Heavy Breather AC, SE CNC heads, SE 58MM Throttlebody, Vance&Hines Power Duals, and V&H Hi-Output Slip-ons, Renegade Racine Contrast Cut 21x3.5 17x6.25/ Avon 120/70x21" Avon 200/55x17" Dyno Tuned by HDHD 117HP 111TQ
petew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2014, 06:46 PM   #13 (permalink)
IronButt

hardheaded wants to know Dino or Syn?
just went though this on my 12 streetglide. the thing wasno where near tight enough. tighten it down to 28 ft. lbs. and then put a ratchet on it until it was good and snug. no leaks so far.
hardheaded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2014, 04:37 AM   #14 (permalink)
Seasoned Rider

GAZRNR wants to know Dino or Syn?
I have a Jagg 10 row oil cooler & adaptor on my bike. After 5 oil changes without the anti rotation bracket I got an oil leak on the 6th the oil change. This was from the adaptor rotating when loosening the filter and then being moved back into position. For those familiar with the Jagg setup it was the 1 inch nut that was loosening up. Took it a part, cleaned everything, new gaskets & anti rotation bracket installed. Should have done this when I installed the oil cooler.
Old 09-10-2014, 07:18 PM   #15 (permalink)
IronButt

hardheaded wants to know Dino or Syn?
just a side note here, the late 13 and later harley adapter is much better. it has an o-ring instead of a gasket.
hardheaded is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement