Oil Cooler question : V-Twin Forum: Harley Davidson Forums
» Sponsors

» Insurance
Go Back   V-Twin Forum : Harley-Davidson Motorcycle Forums > General Discussion Forums > Harley-Davidson Touring
New User? Register Forgot Password

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-09-2012, 06:25 PM   #1 (permalink)
IronButt

Markk9 wants to know Dino or Syn?
Oil Cooler question

Is it the Jagg 10 row worth replacing the stock oil with? Will it a make a big difference?

I live in NC and use my bike 365 as a daily rider. I have a 35 mile one way trip to work, 28 miles are all highway. There are two spots that traffic backs up and I have to sit for around 5 minutes.

The Ultra is my first air cooled street bike, so this is all new to me.

Retired Eagle Driver.............Long Live the Eagle.

Helmet laws interfere with natural selection.
Markk9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-09-2012, 08:06 PM   #2 (permalink)
IronButt

tmd11111 wants to know Dino or Syn?
The stock cooler works just fine.
tmd11111 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 07:27 AM   #3 (permalink)
Seasoned Rider

aviscomi wants to know Dino or Syn?
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmd11111 View Post
The stock cooler works just fine.
I agree...I've ran the HD cooler, Jagg 10 Row F/A and I'm currently running The Reefer on my 120R. I've found them all to be comparable to one another.
4-SALE 2012 StreetGlide Tequila Sunrise/HD Orange-Procharged SE 120R Crate Motor, SE Plates & VPC, SE Pro Tuner, Dragula 2/1 Exhaust, Legends Air Ride Suspension, Dakota Digital Gauges, UltraCool Oil Cooler, Progressive MonoTube Front Suspension-2", HD Stretched Bags, Coastal Moto 21" Genesis Front Wheel
2010 StreetGlide Scarlet Red-Rinehart Extreme True Duals, ThunderMax, FM SE Stage 1 A/C
2002 Ducati Monster 620 -Micron Exhaust
http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f207/aviscomi/MAG.png[/IMG]
aviscomi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 08:20 AM   #4 (permalink)
FNG :)

tj316 wants to know Dino or Syn?
my opinion is yes , on my 103 it came with the stock oil cooler , I added cams , a/c , pipes and a TTS master Tuner , on my first trip from Florida to North Carolina my oil temp (I have a oil gauge) stayed about 255* on interstate if I ran above 75mph , around Raleigh they ran about 235* , I called Marv Bealls the owner of Jagg and spoke to him , he was just finishing his 10 row low mount fan assisted oil cooler , I bought the first one he sold and it was waiting for me in Florida when I got back , I installed it and made the trip again a few weeks later under same conditions , on interstate my oil temperatures ran around 225* , around town they were around 212* , that's a 23*-30* oil temp reduction over the HD unit, Marv said it was becausee of 2 factors mainly , the Jagg 10 has a 30% more cooling area over the Harley unit and 2 the HD unit has a 15* angle where the Jagg is more upright catching more air
2011 FLTRX 103 , Baisley Heads , T Man 600 cams , TTS Master Tuner , Drago 2-1 pipe , Hawg Wired amp/speakers , Dakota Digital Gauges , JRi Shocks/Progressive monotubes , Lyndall Rotors , BR Handlebars ,Jagg fan assited oil cooler and so much more
tj316 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 09:27 AM   #5 (permalink)
Motorhead

Thermodyne is reading this now saying WTF is this? Thermodyne is reading this now saying WTF is this?
The stock cooler on my 103 is a joke. On a 50 degree day it took less than 10 min to overheat in traffic. Once I got moving it took 20 miles for the oil temps to come back down.
Old 11-10-2012, 09:49 AM   #6 (permalink)
IronButt

smitty901 wants to know Dino or Syn?
Oil coolers have limits Only one HD has oil cooled heads and it is not the one you have.
So 8 row 10 row no big difference.
When an HD is moving heat as far as the engine goes is not big deal and they can take it sitting in traffic regardless of the internet hype.
But if you want to drop oil temps moving or sitting still and no go broke doing it take a look at this, quick and easy to install and it works.
http://bigskyfan.tripod.com/id10.html
Old 11-10-2012, 02:03 PM   #7 (permalink)
FNG :)

tj316 wants to know Dino or Syn?
Quote:
Originally Posted by smitty901 View Post
Oil coolers have limits Only one HD has oil cooled heads and it is not the one you have.
So 8 row 10 row no big difference.
When an HD is moving heat as far as the engine goes is not big deal and they can take it sitting in traffic regardless of the internet hype.
But if you want to drop oil temps moving or sitting still and no go broke doing it take a look at this, quick and easy to install and it works.
http://bigskyfan.tripod.com/id10.html
I respectfully disagree , I saw 23-30 degree oil temp drop between the HD unit and the Jagg , plus I had the bigsky fans on my last bike behind a Jagg 10 row low mount , see the attached pictures , they do not work as well as Jagg's fan on their fan unit , see pictures of the Jagg fans in the thread Jagg's new fan horizontal oil cooler
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	jagg 001.jpg
Views:	118
Size:	44.7 KB
ID:	74729   Click image for larger version

Name:	jagg 002.jpg
Views:	117
Size:	65.6 KB
ID:	74730  
2011 FLTRX 103 , Baisley Heads , T Man 600 cams , TTS Master Tuner , Drago 2-1 pipe , Hawg Wired amp/speakers , Dakota Digital Gauges , JRi Shocks/Progressive monotubes , Lyndall Rotors , BR Handlebars ,Jagg fan assited oil cooler and so much more
tj316 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 05:44 PM   #8 (permalink)
semi-retired

FatBobRob wants to know Dino or Syn?
try this..........................

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thermodyne View Post
The stock cooler on my 103 is a joke. On a 50 degree day it took less than 10 min to overheat in traffic. Once I got moving it took 20 miles for the oil temps to come back down.
www.wardspartswerks.com/thermostats.html
Old 11-13-2012, 03:23 PM   #9 (permalink)
IronButt

iclick wants to know Dino or Syn?
If you were shopping for your first cooler I would consider Jagg, HD, etc.--but I wouldn't move from one to the other, as I believe all work well. I've had the HD for six years and in summer weather (>90) my OT stays at ≤205 as long as I'm moving, but in the past it rarely moved as high as 300, and that high only in extremely bad gridlock traffic.

When stuck in traffic a cooler will work to some degree when stationary by convection, but the lower the airflow the less efficient it is. To help with low-speed cooling I also installed the Ward FCS, like FatBobRob, which is a fan kit that blows air onto the head. In its first summer in S. LA the FCS kept my FCHT (monitored with Power Vision) at 225-240 most of time and never exceeded 250. EITMS (heat management) kicks in on my bike at 290 (FCHT), so it appears that EITMS is a thing of the past. FCS also helps keep OT more stable, although it did climb to 225 twice this summer, but once you get rolling again it decreases more rapidly than without FCS.

Last edited by iclick; 11-13-2012 at 03:26 PM.
iclick is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement