Stiff Clutch : V-Twin Forum: Harley Davidson Forums
» Sponsors

» Insurance
Go Back   V-Twin Forum : Harley-Davidson Motorcycle Forums > General Discussion Forums > Harley-Davidson Touring
New User? Register Forgot Password

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-05-2012, 09:51 AM   #1 (permalink)
IronButt
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: So. Cal.
Posts: 946
HDSG wants to know Dino or Syn?
Stiff Clutch

I own a 2006 SG. I was helping a new Harley Rider this weekend and rode his 1998 EG. He complained and I noticed how much more effort is needed to pull the clutch in on his bike compared to mine. I inspected the cable assy. and lubed it, but did little to reduce the effort it takes to pull the clutch in. I remember a "reduced effort " cam assy. that was supposed to help with this issue. Does anyone know of this or can anyone suggest a solution to the hard pull?
Thanks for the help in advance.
HDSG is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 11-05-2012, 10:19 AM   #2 (permalink)
Banned
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Texas
Posts: 5,840
webco2 wants to know Dino or Syn?
Quote:
Originally Posted by HDSG View Post
I own a 2006 SG. I was helping a new Harley Rider this weekend and rode his 1998 EG. He complained and I noticed how much more effort is needed to pull the clutch in on his bike compared to mine. I inspected the cable assy. and lubed it, but did little to reduce the effort it takes to pull the clutch in. I remember a "reduced effort " cam assy. that was supposed to help with this issue. Does anyone know of this or can anyone suggest a solution to the hard pull?
Thanks for the help in advance.
The "reduced effort" kit is just a cam extension piece and it will work wonders for you.


webco2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 01:12 PM   #3 (permalink)
IronButt
 
jammer45u's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: michigan
Posts: 1,696
jammer45u wants to know Dino or Syn?
Your talking about an EZ Pull. They use more leverage on the ramp to get the easier lever pull. Downside, you get less adjustment available to use at the end of your clutch life. I realize for most that's a pretty small issue, but I use my clutches up on slow speed skills practice. I want every bit I can wring out of it.

That clutch in the EVO is totally different than the one in your TC. It pulls harder from the start.

If that cable is original equipment it may have other issues than lubrication. A new cable would probably help even if you can't see any visible damage and it's lubricated.

Clutch pull will be harder toward the end of the clutch life because of decreased ramp leverage.

Individually those all result in minor differences, but added together could cause noticeable effect.
jammer45u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 09:27 PM   #4 (permalink)
IronButt
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: So. Cal.
Posts: 946
HDSG wants to know Dino or Syn?
Quote:
Originally Posted by jammer45u View Post
Your talking about an EZ Pull. They use more leverage on the ramp to get the easier lever pull. Downside, you get less adjustment available to use at the end of your clutch life. I realize for most that's a pretty small issue, but I use my clutches up on slow speed skills practice. I want every bit I can wring out of it.

That clutch in the EVO is totally different than the one in your TC. It pulls harder from the start.

If that cable is original equipment it may have other issues than lubrication. A new cable would probably help even if you can't see any visible damage and it's lubricated.

Clutch pull will be harder toward the end of the clutch life because of decreased ramp leverage.

Individually those all result in minor differences, but added together could cause noticeable effect.
Thank you both for your input. I will look into the EZ Pull. I will also take a closer at the cable. Thank You.

Last edited by HDSG; 11-05-2012 at 09:29 PM.
HDSG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 10:00 PM   #5 (permalink)
IronButt
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Motto.. Live for today becuase you never know what tomorrow brings...
Posts: 885
1L243 wants to know Dino or Syn?
I was just wondering on a bike that old if it has a stock clutch?
__________________
1L243 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 12:51 PM   #6 (permalink)
IronButt
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Danksville, near Budsburg, USA
Posts: 2,345
Krayven Sumhead wants to know Dino or Syn?
Kinda weird,

The pull on my '03 Ultra is pretty easy, whereas the pull on my pal's '04 ultra is stiffer than Johnny Holmes (RIP)

He had an EZ pull installed and it made it lots easier. Lots and lots.
Krayven Sumhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 06:05 PM   #7 (permalink)
FNG :)
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Flint Mi
Posts: 9
Dale88 wants to know Dino or Syn?
Harley Davidson in 2006 put Reduced Effort Clutch Kit in all there bikes.
You can buy the kit from harley for $50 part #36808-05
Dale88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 07:42 PM   #8 (permalink)
IronButt
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: So. Cal.
Posts: 946
HDSG wants to know Dino or Syn?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale88 View Post
Harley Davidson in 2006 put Reduced Effort Clutch Kit in all there bikes.
You can buy the kit from harley for $50 part #36808-05
Thank you for the info. Is it something I can install or is it a dealer or indy thing?
HDSG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 08:51 AM   #9 (permalink)
IronButt
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: mid-michigan
Posts: 647
dzlfitr wants to know Dino or Syn?
Careful.....that part number is for '99-'05 twin cams.


Don't think it will work on a '98.

As far as install, I put this kit in the wifes '00 Fatboy. Just changed the ramps, not the spring.
It pulls easier than my '07 ultra.

Install is pretty straight forward, take your time, and you should not have issues.
It's just nuts and bolts.
dzlfitr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 12:22 PM   #10 (permalink)
merry old soul
 
Road King Cole's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Middleboro MA
Posts: 3,707
Road King Cole is reading this now saying WTF is this? Road King Cole is reading this now saying WTF is this?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Krayven Sumhead View Post
Kinda weird,

The pull on my '03 Ultra is pretty easy, whereas the pull on my pal's '04 ultra is stiffer than Johnny Holmes (RIP)

He had an EZ pull installed and it made it lots easier. Lots and lots.
hmm, I always thought he was so large he never really got "stiff"...

Anyway, make sure the cable is has no tight turns which would increase drag.

Always wanted to know how those EZ pull kits worked. I didn't think it would be possible to do this without using a softer spring (not good) or losing the amount of movement. OK, so it loses some movement, probably needs to be adjusted very closely and more often...

Thanks,

rkc
__________________
"enjoy every sandwich" - W Zevon
2001 FLHR (carb) w 95" 26g cam and a head job.
Road King Cole is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are On


Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.2

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:19 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0
(C)2001-2012 V-twinForum.com All Rights Reserved (C)2001- V-twinForum.com All Rights Reserved
Motorcycle News, Videos and Reviews
Honda Grom Forum Harley Davidson Forum Honda 600RR Kawasaki Forum Yamaha R6 Forum Yamaha FZ-09 Forum
1199 Panigale Forum Roadglide Forum Honda CBR1000 Forum Vulcan Forum Yamaha R1 Forum Yamaha R3 Forum
Ducati Monster Forum Harley Forums Honda CBR250R Forum ZX10R Forum Star Raider Forum Yamaha Viking Forum
Suzuki GSXR Forum V-Rod Forums Honda Shadow Forum Kawasaki Motorcycle Forum Star Warrior Forum KTM Duke 390 Forum
SV650 Forum BMW S1000RR Forum Honda Fury Forum Kawasaki Versys Forum Drag Racing Forum Ducati 899 Panigale Forum
Suzuki V-Strom BMW K1600 Triumph Forum Victory Forums Sportbikes BMW NineT Forum
Volusia Forum BMW F800 Forum Triumph 675 Forum MV Agusta Forum HD Street Forum Suzuki GW250 Forum
Yamaha Motorcycles Victory Gunner Forum Honda Vultus Forum HD LiveWire Forum Ninja H2 Forum