1st season w/HD, a quick follow up : V-Twin Forum: Harley Davidson Forums
» Sponsors

» Insurance
Go Back   V-Twin Forum : Harley-Davidson Motorcycle Forums > General Discussion Forums > Harley-Davidson Touring
New User? Register Forgot Password

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-02-2012, 06:33 AM   #1 (permalink)
FNG :)

don03st wants to know Dino or Syn?
1st season w/HD, a quick follow up

Here's my whopping second post here. I wanted to wait until after a season of riding my 1st HD, a 2001 RKC. Overall, I couldn't be happier. Here's a quick breakdown...

Upgrades/mods-socket for heated jacket, GPS thats it
Likes-comfy, virtual biodome of weather protection, smooth at speed, good torque, 70+mph all day
dislikes-range(200 miles hwy), but I like the look of the 5 gal tanks so thats just me.

I bought the bike with 36k on it, so I had the dealer replace the tensioners before I picked it up. I'll check them at 50k I think.
Basically loving my 1st HD. Its my touring bike so it gets all the big mileage trips around the country. Thanks for all the info here.
don03st is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-02-2012, 01:13 PM   #2 (permalink)
Seasoned Rider

Pumba11 wants to know Dino or Syn?
Glad you like your Road King. I won't consider another bike or HD, just love it.

I chuckle when I see people complain on the range of the HD. My bladder is only good for 100 miles so it's never an issue for me.

It only get better. Ride on!
Pumba11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 03:46 PM   #3 (permalink)
Lifetime Premium

SAFXDL is reading this now saying WTF is this?
Good to hear!!! They don't call 'em Road Kings for nothing!!!

Proud Parent of a Son serving his country

'08 FLHPI, 103, SERT, Fatcat 2/1 Black, Reckless Fairing w/tunes.

SAFXDL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 05:47 AM   #4 (permalink)

[QUOTE=Pumba11;2192615]Glad you like your Road King. I won't consider another bike or HD, just love it.

I chuckle when I see people complain on the range of the HD. My bladder is only good for 100 miles so it's never an issue for me.

I think its more because the last touring bike I had was good for almost 250, so I have to reprogram myself. I'll get over it.
Old 11-03-2012, 09:34 AM   #5 (permalink)
Seasoned Rider

SavageChopper wants to know Dino or Syn?
I remember my first trip with a bunch of VTX riders. We stopped when I still had a half tank and I asked what was going on. THEY were almost out of fuel. I laughed and muttered something about fuel injection....That was on my Fat Bob. I can't wait to see what my touring range is on the Street Glide.
SavageChopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 11:58 AM   #6 (permalink)
The Best Me I Can Be

Homesick is still riding a stock bike Homesick is still riding a stock bike Homesick is still riding a stock bike
Try a Mark 2.5 FXR with a 4 gal tank at 75-80. 100 miles is all you get. Well, it's all I get.

joe
A**hole Merit Badge winner
Badge of Honor winner

FXRT- Hubba Hubba
Homesick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 01:16 PM   #7 (permalink)
Banned

Michael Psycle is reading this now saying WTF is this?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pumba11 View Post

Ain't that the truth. And one of my riding buddies has had prostate problems, so we never go more than 100 miles without a stop.

That's about all I'm really good for, too. Occasionally I may go 120 miles between stops, but I like to stop. I did a cross country trip last year on a BMW K1200 LT, their big luxury touring bike. The bike could go more than 200 miles between fillups, but we still stopped at about 100 miles. What's the rush?
Michael Psycle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 05:56 PM   #8 (permalink)
Lifetime Premium

DueceDog wants to know Dino or Syn?
I just finished a 1400 mile trip on an EGUC, fully loaded and 2 up. I normally went about 190 miles. One day the needle was buried on the big E when I stopped for gas. It took 5.5 gallons. Whew!

We were up in the mountains a lot so I'm not upset with it. Just posting for a comparison.

Vietnam Vet
PGR rider
DueceDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 06:57 PM   #9 (permalink)
Seasoned Rider

COOLFXDC wants to know Dino or Syn?
Glad you like your King.
I have a 11 King and I love it. I have drove lots of metrics and a Victory but I came back to Harleys, they have a feel no other bike has, at least for me.
COOLFXDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 07:41 PM   #10 (permalink)

Well, on big trips I'm good for about 12-14 hrs a day. I'm always up against the clock some how, so every drop helps. I wish I could stop whenever I want to, but always seem to need to get somewhere pretty fast. I always feel bike deprived, so when I get to go I want to GO.
Old 11-04-2012, 05:30 PM   #11 (permalink)
Saved by Christ

RickDeVon wants to know Dino or Syn?
The next time you visit your Harley...Bow to the King...Ruler of the Road...Long Live the RoadKing...An American Icon...What a true Motorcycle should be...Don't ask me how I know...

"Road King true American Motorcycle"
RickDeVon is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement