2013 Ultra Limted : V-Twin Forum: Harley Davidson Forums
» Sponsors

» Insurance
Go Back   V-Twin Forum : Harley-Davidson Motorcycle Forums > General Discussion Forums > Harley-Davidson Touring
New User? Register Forgot Password

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-29-2012, 03:30 PM   #1 (permalink)
FNG :)

chrusb wants to know Dino or Syn?
2013 Ultra Limted

I have about 700 mi on the bike now and have notice the motor making tapping noise(valves) possible? Is this normal for the 103? Oil level is good. oil presure is 32-38psi when riding. I really notice the tapping sound when riding around 2000-2500rpm with 1/4throttle.Had dealer check at 500 mi said it was normal, but it sounds like it is getting louder.
chrusb is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-29-2012, 03:40 PM   #2 (permalink)
Lifetime Premium

strokerjlk is reading this now saying WTF is this?
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrusb View Post
I have about 700 mi on the bike now and have notice the motor making tapping noise(valves) possible? Is this normal for the 103? Oil level is good. oil presure is 32-38psi when riding. I really notice the tapping sound when riding around 2000-2500rpm with 1/4throttle.Had dealer check at 500 mi said it was normal, but it sounds like it is getting louder.
Lifters . The new c series lifters just don't cut it .
14,000 on these c lifters.
SE 218
DR 218

Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.
strokerjlk is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-02-2012, 12:20 AM   #3 (permalink)

tuner54 wants to know Dino or Syn?
Interesting. 14,000 isn't very high mileage. I'll have to watch these threads. I also have a 2013 Ultra Classic 103 with about 700 on it. The shock I got was on the first day riding when I was stopped and one cylinder sounded like it went out. The dealer never informed me about the engine idle temp management.
tuner54 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-02-2012, 07:21 AM   #4 (permalink)

softtail wants to know Dino or Syn?
Your idle temp management can be disabled if need be.
softtail is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-02-2012, 08:42 AM   #5 (permalink)
Seasoned Rider

bartw wants to know Dino or Syn?
I have a 2012 Ultra 103 and it has the same loud ticking, I thought there might be something wrong with it too. I had a 2010 with a 96 and it didnt seem to tick as much. My kid has a 2010 Fatboy and it definately runs quieter so maybe its a 103 thing
bartw is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-02-2012, 09:25 PM   #6 (permalink)

The dealer explained to me that the tapping noise could be the lifters and that the sound is normal, ever since they went from a 96 to a 103 engine it is more prevelant. I just can't get use to the sound, it sounds like it is more then just that. Maybe that is why they wanted to sell me an aftermarket exhaust system to hide the noise haha.
Old 11-03-2012, 01:10 AM   #7 (permalink)

tuner54 wants to know Dino or Syn?
Quote:
Originally Posted by softtail View Post
Your idle temp management can be disabled if need be.
I was thinking about that but I'm also not used to so much heat coming off the RH side. My 06 Road King never put out as much heat even before I put V&H true duals. I hoping the Idle mgt. will help cut down on the hot pipe during city driving/traffic stops. It's hot enough out here.
tuner54 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-03-2012, 06:52 AM   #8 (permalink)
Lifetime Premium

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuner54 View Post
Interesting. 14,000 isn't very high mileage. I'll have to watch these threads. I also have a 2013 Ultra Classic 103 with about 700 on it. The shock I got was on the first day riding when I was stopped and one cylinder sounded like it went out. The dealer never informed me about the engine idle temp management.
If your EITMS is kicking in, you got a mech problem,(sumping) or a tuning problem. This isn't something you want to see happening .
It means you either need to get moving,to get some air across the motor, or shut it off and let it cool down.
SE 218
DR 218

Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.
Old 11-03-2012, 08:32 AM   #9 (permalink)
IronButt

cata5803 wants to know Dino or Syn?
I had a 2010 FLHTK, with same noises, had over 50,000 miles, went through "2" compansating sprokets. That ticking sound is probably your noise.. They need to fix this problem..

Last edited by cata5803; 11-05-2012 at 04:29 PM.
cata5803 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-03-2012, 08:03 PM   #10 (permalink)

What are the compansating sprockets? How many miles did you have on it the first time you had them replaced? Is covered under the warranty?
Old 11-03-2012, 09:17 PM   #11 (permalink)
Don't monkey with me

Location: Ca - top of a mountain looking at the great Mojave Desert.
wfojon wants to know Dino or Syn?
I've got the 103 in my 12 Fatboy and it is noisy too and when you focus on the noise naturally it sounds worse. I've got a bit over 1000 miles on it and changed the slip-on mufflers to some V&H's and now it sounds like a HD and the motor noise is gone.
So, I'd say don't worry about it, ride it, it's under warranty anyway if something does go wrong.
Jon
wfojon is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-04-2012, 09:06 AM   #12 (permalink)
IronButt

RG50 wants to know Dino or Syn?
Quote:
What are the compansating sprockets? How many miles did you have on it the first time you had them replaced? Is covered under the warranty?
The compensator is a sprocket with a spring loaded clutch that buffers the torque from the cranshaft.The primary chain runs off this sprocket to the tranny/clutch.
There has been issues with the compensator on some earlier models.
Old 11-04-2012, 06:19 PM   #13 (permalink)
IronButt

RickDeVon wants to know Dino or Syn?
Well I must have a different 103 than most...just turned 1500 miles and it is as quiet as my 88 was...at the 1k service my indy went with HD dino 20/50 and will untill the 10k mark then Amsoil 20/50...he did go with the 75/140 Amsoil in the tranny with good results...and HD Formula+ in the primary...no tapping and no more valve train noise than my 88 had...best motor yet with plenty of power...I really want 254e cams and decat it with a Fullsac headpipe...
Old 11-04-2012, 07:49 PM   #14 (permalink)
Lifetime Premium

Quote:

2012 with 14,000 miles
comp is in front on the output shaft of the motor.

SE 218
DR 218

Old 11-05-2012, 09:42 AM   #15 (permalink)
Seasoned Rider

07 Fatboy wants to know Dino or Syn?
My 2012 Electra glide makes the same noise, Ticking up front sounds like the compansater to me it gets quiet when under a load, Very loud when light load or coasting around town.
Keep us in the loop i would like to find out what the correct repair is.
07 Fatboy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the V-Twin Forum : Harley-Davidson Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. WE WILL SEND A CONFIRMATION EMAIL TO THE ADDRESS YOU PROVIDE. If the email address is NOT VALID, you will not be given access to the system!
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.