08 Ultra Owners : V-Twin Forum: Harley Davidson Forums
» Sponsors

» Insurance
Go Back   V-Twin Forum : Harley-Davidson Motorcycle Forums > General Discussion Forums > Harley-Davidson Touring
New User? Register Forgot Password

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-18-2012, 03:19 PM   #1 (permalink)
FNG :)

Rick Maxwell wants to know Dino or Syn?
08 Ultra Owners

Here is my 08 Ultra, I'm new here and would like to hear from other 08 owners
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Ultra Classic.jpg
Views:	151
Size:	566.2 KB
ID:	74442  
Rick Maxwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-18-2012, 04:42 PM   #2 (permalink)
IronButt

oldog97 wants to know Dino or Syn?
Gorgeous bike! Congratulations!
oldog97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 05:47 PM   #3 (permalink)
Banned

webco2 wants to know Dino or Syn?
Looks so brite I need shades....

webco2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 06:55 PM   #4 (permalink)
Draggin' Floorboards!

jpilone wants to know Dino or Syn?
Clean!

Sent from my iPhone using MO Free
Brand Spankin' New as of 10/3/12!
jpilone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 05:59 AM   #5 (permalink)
Retired Bubblehead

wesslvm wants to know Dino or Syn?
Looks great, love that color. But I may be somewhat biased...
1976 KZ1000 LTD (sold)
1969 Schwinn Apple Krate (donated)
wesslvm is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 07:13 AM   #6 (permalink)

Thanks to all! I look forward to getting back in the groove and gaining as much knowledge as I can from the fine HD folks here. Been away from riding a while and this is my first bagger. Smooooth ride>> and Wesslvm,yeah nice color
Old 10-19-2012, 08:12 AM   #7 (permalink)
IronButt

coastie56 is reading this now saying WTF is this?
Awsome looking bike. I also picked up an 08 Ultra this summer and my face is sore from smiling all the time. I put some S&S Power Tune Duals on her and can't believe what a great sounding combination with my Kerker mufflers. Totally fixed the heat issue along with the SERT the previous owner installed. I believe I may put in a cam as I'm reading about a 20% power bump with the right sticks. I find the 6 speed is great on the freeway also. Although it is basically the same as my old Road King, the new bike feels much more plush riding and smoother also. Just put on a flip windshield from LRS. Fantastic customer service, and very low price from guys that put on serious miles too. In Michigan the temps drop with the sun so the extra coverage is great. Next spring I will probably put a set of Commander 2s on as they are getting some good reviews. I am also reading sbout guys putting lots of reliable miles on these once heat issues are addressed. Any opinions on oil coolers?
coastie56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 01:37 PM   #8 (permalink)

Well it certainly gets hot here in Ga. during the summer but since i just got it I haven't experienced the heat I'm reading about. I will be looking at the S&S Power Tune Duals as well as oil cooler cause i"m sure the heat thing will probably be an issue here. Love this ride, I will be going out later today with my son who is coming home from college for the weekend.. He bought an 07 883 back in August and I am looking forward to our first ride together. Any and all advise is certainly welcome from all.
Old 10-21-2012, 08:04 PM   #9 (permalink)

lesbowles wants to know Dino or Syn?
My 08 Ultra has a stage 2 103 motor w/ V&H slash slip-ons. Have had it for almost five years and love it. The engine was done before I took delivery and is awesome. Absolutely no issues with the bike at all. I recently added the HD Hammock seat and it's been the best money spent so far on an 'extra.' Have switched out the antennas to J&M shorty's and added the J&M audio wiring harness interface to handle Garmin Zumo GPS audio. I live in N. central TX and ride a lot. It's a solid machine.

Sent from my iPad using MO Free
lesbowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 11:41 PM   #10 (permalink)
IronButt

Location: Motto.. Live for today becuase you never know what tomorrow brings...
1L243 wants to know Dino or Syn?
I have a 2009 but a good friend has a 2008. He use to complain about the heat when he first got it but we added the heat deflectors (HD) and it really helped. He also did a stage one. If I remember right HD had to set something on his bike to get the Heat Management System activated. You should check your bike and see if it is. It will help when running in the heat and stopped in traffic.
Old 10-22-2012, 03:50 PM   #11 (permalink)

I certainly will,,,thanks
Old 10-22-2012, 04:52 PM   #12 (permalink)
IronButt

utrvp is reading this now saying WTF is this?
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1L243 View Post
I have a 2009 but a good friend has a 2008. He use to complain about the heat when he first got it but we added the heat deflectors (HD) and it really helped. He also did a stage one. If I remember right HD had to set something on his bike to get the Heat Management System activated. You should check your bike and see if it is. It will help when running in the heat and stopped in traffic.
My 07 had heat issues. The bike ran fine and never overheated but the inside of my left leg would get fried! I ended up putting a Stage One kit on and all is well. I also added the isolated final drive that came out on the 08 models.
Laws that forbid the carrying of arms… disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes… Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man. -Jefferson’s “Commonplace Book,” 1774_1776, quoting from On Crimes and Punishment, by criminologist Cesare Beccaria, 1764
utrvp is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 05:59 AM   #13 (permalink)
Premium Member

DocDyna wants to know Dino or Syn?
Long Leggs

I found my 08 had a little to tall gearing. It was great for Interstates but not great on the backroads here in Ky. I switched the rear pulley to a Japanese version which has 4 or 5 more teeth. ( I'm sure several posts, try and search for the threads). Then of course all the engine mods made it a screamer. now a 107 ci, 10.8 / 1 comp, R & R stage 4 heads, 615 lift cams, roller rockers with corrected geometry, V & H 2 into 1 Ch Pipe, TTS Mastertune, Zippers Air intake. Dyno'd at 111 hp with 114 ft lbs torque. With these upgrades now the bike will "get on down the road". I'm a motor junkie so I like to tinker. Not that I do it a lot but either a hard "roll-on" the throttle in second gear or a power shift in to third will raise the front wheel off the road. Only done this a couple of times, not my main objective. Pulley change raise rpm's around 300 or so at 70mph, befror that 6th gear was only for use above 65 now can use at 55. Have fun on your bike.

ProStreet Trike; Custom Eagle/Flames paint scheme 98ci; GMR Stg 3 Heads; Woods 6 Cams & Lifters; Smith Bro Rods; SE Comp & Clutch; Samsom HellRaiser Pipes; S&S Dual Intake; PM Heathan 21" Fr Wheel; Weisco's @10/1;
104hp/110 ft.lbs, TTS Mastertune

DocDyna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 07:38 AM   #14 (permalink)

Thanks to all,,Keep the tips coming. It's been a while since I've been riding and all the changes and new technology is a lot different than it was when I was putting around on a 79 low rider
Old 10-30-2012, 09:12 AM   #15 (permalink)
IronButt

Location: Motto.. Live for today becuase you never know what tomorrow brings...
1L243 wants to know Dino or Syn?
Hey Rick the only thing I would ad if your new bike came with ABS understand the difference between a ABS and Non ABS bike when it comes to applying brakes. I actually took mine out when I first got it on a gravel lot and hammered the rear brake. Was not brave enough to hammer the front on gravel but I am sure it would work just as well.

You may also want to look into the rear Turn signal module and Tour Pak Brake Run Module give you a lot more light from the rear.
Youve got a nice looking bike.

Last edited by 1L243; 10-30-2012 at 09:14 AM.
1L243 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement