Heel to toe shifter : V-Twin Forum: Harley Davidson Forums
» Sponsors

» Insurance
Go Back   V-Twin Forum : Harley-Davidson Motorcycle Forums > General Discussion Forums > Harley-Davidson Touring
New User? Register Forgot Password

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-12-2012, 10:46 AM   #1 (permalink)
IronButt

Markk9 wants to know Dino or Syn?
Heel to toe shifter

I have had my Ultra for 2 months and still don't like the heal to toe shifter. Would I be crazy to remove the heal part and use the shift like a normal toe shifter?

Retired Eagle Driver.............Long Live the Eagle.

Helmet laws interfere with natural selection.
Markk9 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-12-2012, 11:10 AM   #2 (permalink)
IronButt

bigbadal wants to know Dino or Syn?
Of course not! Some people like them and some don't. Personal preference. Go for it!
bigbadal is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-12-2012, 11:28 AM   #3 (permalink)
FNG :)

zeus0909 wants to know Dino or Syn?
That's one of the first things I did to mine. I didn't like it but have buddies that swear by them. To each their own
zeus0909 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-12-2012, 11:29 AM   #4 (permalink)
FNG :)

RobertHyde wants to know Dino or Syn?
Know what you mean. Took me awhile to get used to it as well. Once I set the proper height, I liked it a lot better. The thing I did notice was that it saves the top of your boots and prevents your heal from hitting your primary chrome. On the right side I put a chrome foot guard on the floorboard to keep my boot heel from melting on the pipes. Wife says I'm over the top about caring for the bike. As usual, she is right.
RobertHyde is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-12-2012, 11:38 AM   #5 (permalink)
merry old soul

Road King Cole is reading this now saying WTF is this? Road King Cole is reading this now saying WTF is this?
You're crazy!

Ok, sorry.

Do you want to remove the heel because it "get's in the way"? You can always put on a longer shift lever arm which pushes the heel shifter back a couple of inches or so.

That way if you are every wearing boots which may be uncomfortable with the "toe-up" shifting, you still have the heel option.

I got one cause of my big feet.

rkc
Old 10-12-2012, 12:06 PM   #6 (permalink)
Seasoned Rider

Dipstick wants to know Dino or Syn?
I don't use the heel shifter to go thru the gears, just to find neutral. It is just easier for me. The guy I got the bike from used it all the time and was a little heavy on it and stripped the lever on the trans. It's just what you feel works best for you.
Hooker slip-on
Fullsac true duel conversion
SE 203 cams
Baisley oil spring
95 inch
Dipstick is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-12-2012, 12:38 PM   #7 (permalink)
IronButt

utrvp is reading this now saying WTF is this?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dipstick View Post
I don't use the heel shifter to go thru the gears, just to find neutral. It is just easier for me. The guy I got the bike from used it all the time and was a little heavy on it and stripped the lever on the trans. It's just what you feel works best for you.
I use mine all the time. I am 6'3", 304 lbs with a size 13EEE boot. I am not easy on my shifter. I stomp on both the front and rear shifter and with about 400 miles shy of 50,000 miles I have had zero problems with my shifter. If you have never had one before it takes some getting used to but I wouldn't have a bike without it.
Laws that forbid the carrying of arms… disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes… Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man. -Jefferson’s “Commonplace Book,” 1774_1776, quoting from On Crimes and Punishment, by criminologist Cesare Beccaria, 1764
utrvp is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-12-2012, 12:52 PM   #8 (permalink)
Lifetime Premium

Danglide wants to know Dino or Syn?
I have big feet as well,and a bad left knee.the Heel shifter on mine was nothing but in the way,and I'd have to crank my knee too far back to use the heel shifter.

Kurakyn makes a heel shift eliminator,nice litle chrome and rubber peice to take the place of the back shifter,so you can move the front one to the end of the shaft.

did that and I've been very happy with it.the moco sells one,but theirs is just a cap,so the toe shifter remains in the closer to the engine position.

I also used the floorboard spacers from harleygoodies,and love em.Plus,they make more clearance for the thunderheader.

this is on my roadie.

2002 Superglide
2012 Road glide Ultra T-header,T-max,Tuned Induction
Danglide is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-12-2012, 04:26 PM   #9 (permalink)
IronButt

Topgeye wants to know Dino or Syn?
I had the heal/toe on my 03 RKC. Never did like it. So when I traded for the 2012 that is one of the first things I changed out. I put the Willie G cap on the end of the spline. The toe shifter works well for me plus I can slide my foot back now. I don't agree or disagree with anyone on this topic, It's just how I like it.
Willie G mods in some places
American Custom Bomber slip ons
Topgeye is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-12-2012, 04:32 PM   #10 (permalink)
Seasoned Rider

mistert wants to know Dino or Syn?
Like some of the other members, it's one of the first things to go...
mistert is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-12-2012, 08:13 PM   #11 (permalink)
DILLIGAF

berserker is still riding a stock bike berserker is still riding a stock bike
I sure like mine, some don't. If you wear work boots, it works better.
Helmets are like rubbers you know you should wear one, but its so much better when you don't.-Me
Sometimes I think its a sin, when I feel like I am winning when I am losing again.-GL
2001 FLHR, 98"
2007 FLHTCU
berserker is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-12-2012, 08:20 PM   #12 (permalink)
IronButt

Markk9 wants to know Dino or Syn?
I always were boots while riding. I'm going to play with the adjustment of the heel lever this weekend and then give it another go. Right now, it the lever is high, I have to pick up foot up to get it.

Retired Eagle Driver.............Long Live the Eagle.

Helmet laws interfere with natural selection.
Markk9 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-12-2012, 08:28 PM   #13 (permalink)
DILLIGAF

Having the read high can be annoying. You should just lift up the heel. Ideally the both would be not that much higher then the floor board.

I met this guy who claimed he developed this shifter and was trying to sell it Harley and Kurykakn. He had a shop with rentals, and I tried it in the parking lot and it felt smooth

The linkage was under the board and popped up at each end. he had a speal that this put the plane at a better angle. Kuraykn does have a shifter that looks like it, few hundred bucks though.

This was around 2005, be claimed his son was the buinsess end, and was neogating. I think he called it the slick shifter. It may be the one Kury is elling, may not. The guy was located in UP of MI. Had a small shop.
Helmets are like rubbers you know you should wear one, but its so much better when you don't.-Me
Sometimes I think its a sin, when I feel like I am winning when I am losing again.-GL
2001 FLHR, 98"
2007 FLHTCU
Old 10-12-2012, 08:43 PM   #14 (permalink)
IronButt

gb1500 wants to know Dino or Syn?
1st for me too to go...no slammin here
gb1500 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-12-2012, 09:27 PM   #15 (permalink)
DILLIGAF

I shifted hard, until I learned how to use it. Now no slamming.
2001 FLHR, 98"
2007 FLHTCU
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the V-Twin Forum : Harley-Davidson Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. WE WILL SEND A CONFIRMATION EMAIL TO THE ADDRESS YOU PROVIDE. If the email address is NOT VALID, you will not be given access to the system!
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.