Heated liners : V-Twin Forum: Harley Davidson Forums
» Sponsors

» Insurance
Go Back   V-Twin Forum : Harley-Davidson Motorcycle Forums > General Discussion Forums > Harley-Davidson Touring
New User? Register Forgot Password

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-02-2012, 08:19 PM   #1 (permalink)
FNG :)

scott61610 wants to know Dino or Syn?
Heated liners

I am planning on getting my girlfriend a heated jacket liner and am wanting to know what brand is best and do they work well. Thanks!
scott61610 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-02-2012, 08:24 PM   #2 (permalink)
Lifetime Premium

xxzeus34xx wants to know Dino or Syn?
Both my wife and I have Gerbing heated gear. We both are very satisfied with the product and definitely keeps you warm and will extend the riding season for you.
xxzeus34xx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 08:38 PM   #3 (permalink)
Premium Member

Eleft36 wants to know Dino or Syn?
Legs get cold too.

I have "First Gear", I'm satisfied with their product.

Al
Stock 110" mufflers Stock Heads Andrews 26 Cams SE103" BB Kit Zippers Cam Chain Tensioners SE Compensator Mustang Wide Touring Seat Stock Bars H.D. Oil Cooler 1990's LeatherWorks inc Saddle Bags with HD Deluxe modified guards H-D Windshield Thunder Max A/T 2005 S E Tour Pack Progressive Shocks & fork Mono Tube kit
Eleft36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 09:43 PM   #4 (permalink)
IronButt

Mike02 wants to know Dino or Syn?
Gerbing is # 1... get the jacket liner, gloves and socks... that's all that's needed. i ride down to 15 degrees with mine and it's the best!!
Mike02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 10:19 PM   #5 (permalink)
Lifetime Premium

strokerjlk wants to know Dino or Syn?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike02 View Post
Gerbing is # 1... get the jacket liner, gloves and socks... that's all that's needed. i ride down to 15 degrees with mine and it's the best!!

the best is one you make yourself.
I got Gerbing jackets and gloves as well. good stuff.
(FWIW harleys line is Gerbing)
but I have pants and socks I made myself as well.
SE 218
DR 218

Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.
strokerjlk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 09:54 AM   #6 (permalink)
Seasoned Rider

Counter Steer wants to know Dino or Syn?
I have had Gerbings for 6+ years now. Make sure you get the variable controller. Even into the low 20s, if you just have the off on switch, she will get too warm. With the Variable controller, you can tune it so it is just right and adjust it as the day warms up.

I purchased the jacket liner instead of the vest. The jacket liner already has the wires for the gloves in the material. If you are thinking of ever adding gloves, having the wires in place instead of running them down her arms separately is a nice feature.

I think all the brands are probably fine. Gerbings are the original, have a no questions asked warranty and used to (maybe still do) make Harley's heated gear. I do not have any experience with other brands, but about 4 years ago their seemed to be a explosion in heated gear options. About 6-7 years ago the micro wire heated gear was developed and I think that all the brands now use the micro wire. The choice may be more about fit, controllers and plugs as I suspect all the gear is well made.

I also have gloves and heated boot soles. I have not felt the need (yet) for heated pant liners. Keeping you core warm, then your fingers and toes has been sufficient for me to remain comfortable into the low 20's.
Old 10-04-2012, 10:12 AM   #7 (permalink)
merry old soul

Road King Cole is reading this now saying WTF is this? Road King Cole is reading this now saying WTF is this?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Counter Steer View Post
I have had Gerbings for 6+ years now. Make sure you get the variable controller. Even into the low 20s, if you just have the off on switch, she will get too warm. With the Variable controller, you can tune it so it is just right and adjust it as the day warms up.

I purchased the jacket liner instead of the vest. The jacket liner already has the wires for the gloves in the material. If you are thinking of ever adding gloves, having the wires in place instead of running them down her arms separately is a nice feature.

I think all the brands are probably fine. Gerbings are the original, have a no questions asked warranty and used to (maybe still do) make Harley's heated gear. I do not have any experience with other brands, but about 4 years ago their seemed to be a explosion in heated gear options. About 6-7 years ago the micro wire heated gear was developed and I think that all the brands now use the micro wire. The choice may be more about fit, controllers and plugs as I suspect all the gear is well made.

I also have gloves and heated boot soles. I have not felt the need (yet) for heated pant liners. Keeping you core warm, then your fingers and toes has been sufficient for me to remain comfortable into the low 20's.

Good stuff there. I have the Gerbings liner and gloves for just one season. My wife also has a liner, we both love it. I did have a problem with my gloves last season, had to send them back for repair, well over a month.

rkc
Old 10-04-2012, 02:03 PM   #8 (permalink)
IronButt

dhornick wants to know Dino or Syn?
Quote:
Originally Posted by scott61610 View Post
I am planning on getting my girlfriend a heated jacket liner and am wanting to know what brand is best and do they work well. Thanks!
First Gear here and I swear by them. I mean they are great. I have actually described them before as the best add-on I've ever made to my bikes. Meaning, that while they are not actually an add on to the bike they do allow me to ride year around. I'll often ride in sub zero weather as long as its dry. The temperatures do not bother me but it does have to be dry.

"Roll, roll me away,
Im gonna roll me away tonight
Gotta keep rollin, gotta keep ridin,
Keep searchin till I find whats right"

13 FLHTK Ultra Classic Limited - Current
07 FLHX Street Glide Vivid Black - Sold
08 FLHRC Road King Classic Pearl White / Black - Sold
07 XL1200L Sportster - Sold
04 FXDWG Wide Glide - Sold

IBA Certified #42315
SS1000
BB1500
dhornick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 06:26 PM   #9 (permalink)

photorider wants to know Dino or Syn?
Tis the season huh?

I have the HD version and the Gerbings version. I lost weight so I had to buy a smaller size and went with the Gerbings label - same cost

The Gerbings are one rev ahead of the Gerbings made HD version. The HD liner have cables hanging out to plug into the controller, while the Gerbings version has the plugs attached to a panel on the inside - much cleaner. The motorcycle LEO's in my area all run Gerbings and they get them at the local BMW dealership.

Get the jacket with sleeves like others have stated. Actually the gloves are the first thing I would get, followed by the jacket. I have the socks and pants, but have not needed them yet.

Get the dual controller if you are running gloves and a jacket. The jacket needs much less heat that the gloves since the gloves take the wind directly.

I bought the FirstGear wireless controller - much nicer than fumbling around with the wired controller attached to your belt etc. This one has a remote fob that you can put on the tank etc. Another controller choice is the hard mounted Gerbings controller which mounts to the bike and you drill/mount the two sockets for the liner/glove wires... I have two bikes so I didn't want a hard mounted controller.
photorider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 10:36 PM   #10 (permalink)

yuell wants to know Dino or Syn?
i to have gerbing,u can also order thru revzilla,excellent service and great videos on how to do everything,
yuell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 09:53 AM   #11 (permalink)
Seasoned Rider

SJ-Jim wants to know Dino or Syn?
My wife and I both have the Gerbing liners and gloves. Well worth the investment. Had an issue with my liner in the first few weeks, but exchanged for another and no problem since.
SJ-Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 10:12 PM   #12 (permalink)

scott61610 wants to know Dino or Syn?
Thanks all !!! We went with the HD / gerbing liner jacket , I think it will work fine thanks for the help.
scott61610 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 10:08 PM   #13 (permalink)
IronButt

tweaked1973 wants to know Dino or Syn?
Heard good things about Gerbing, but I have had the Warm & Safe liner for about 5 years and love it, I even bought the old lady and some friends the same one. Just my $.02 though.
tweaked1973 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 07:34 AM   #14 (permalink)
IronButt

Chart wants to know Dino or Syn?
Don't think any of them are bad. But, I'd suggest others reading this thread for the same info the OP looked for consider the wattage of the jacket. Many jackets are only 60 watts, and some are 90 watts. While you usually don't have the jacket turned up on on high like you do the gloves, sometimes you want to crank the jacket to warm up at first.

DO spend the money for adjustable controller, for both jacket and gloves.

And, you want the jacket to fit as tight as possible. I bought a fleece jacket one size too small at a thrift store to wear over the heated jacket, under my riding coat. The small fleece jacket hugs the liner to me, and gives a little so it doesn't bind too much.

Important: keep the wind off your skin. Get a neck gator, and wind-proof pants. Rain pants might work. And invest in the soft lowers / elephant ears that go on your front crash bar. That will keep the wind and rain and cold off your boots and lower legs.

After riding a couple of days in French Canada and Maine in Oct freezing temps with this set up, on a Road King, the only thing cold were my feet. I bought cheap snow mobile boots rated for -50, and that fixed that. Never needed the heated pants, but I wore good insulation on my legs.

Finally, avoid cotton at all costs if you are riding all day in the cold. It will absorb moisture from your body, and will chill you. In winter survival school they said "Cotton kills" because of that. They were thinking of sweating and hypothermia, but the principal holds. With the volume of man-made wicking materials today, there is no reason you need cotton underwear, long johns, jeans, tee shirts, or sweat pants.

Stay dry, keep the wind off, add a little heat, and you'll laugh at winter.
Chart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 09:09 PM   #15 (permalink)
Seasoned Rider

mattmudlow wants to know Dino or Syn?
Have the Gerbing gloves, jacket, & socks (just bought the socks & haven't used 'em yet). Last summer was really mild up here in Connecticut, but I bought the gloves the year before and they were GREAT! Every time I pulled over, my riding buddy (a real "he-man") would grab my gloves & put them on to warm up his fingers whenever we stopped (he didn't want to admit he was cold (?) but sure was thankful for the warmth!). The gloves & jacket kept me out riding every month last winter & I'm looking forward to having warm toes this winter!
mattmudlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement