Internal vs External : V-Twin Forum: Harley Davidson Forums
» Sponsors

» Insurance
Go Back   V-Twin Forum : Harley-Davidson Motorcycle Forums > General Discussion Forums > Harley-Davidson Touring
New User? Register Forgot Password

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-25-2012, 03:35 AM   #1 (permalink)
Seasoned Rider

HDSB07 wants to know Dino or Syn?
Internal vs External

I am putting some new bars on my Road King during the off season. What does everybody think? Run the wiring internal or external? Is it worth the extra cash to run the wires inside the bars or should I just hide them in front of the bars so they are hidden behind the fairing?
HDSB07 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-25-2012, 03:39 AM   #2 (permalink)
IronButt

yogin wants to know Dino or Syn?
In my opinion if you have a fairing I wouldn't bother with internal wiring. It looks nice and clean, especially with a tall set of apes on a naked bike but on a touring bike with fairing its an extra hassle and if you ever want to switch out your bars it will be just as big a hassle. With external wiring a change of handlebars is easy as long as the the height is somewhat close.
yogin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-25-2012, 07:44 AM   #3 (permalink)
IronButt

smitty901 wants to know Dino or Syn?
Unless your planning to try and make money with as a show bike External.
The extra cost the time are not worth it. Another issue is How many have had problems down the road with Internal wire ones.
As always your ride your cash
Old 09-25-2012, 08:21 AM   #4 (permalink)
not sober all the time

Uncle Salty is reading this now saying WTF is this?
Over the years I have made several changes to my '04 Road King Custom, most were functional. Recently my bars were bent slightly as a result of some asshole trying to break the fork lock in an attempted theft. When I decide what bars I want to replace the bent bars with, I will not wire them internally. External wiring hasn't given me heartburn in the past 40 years of cycling. I doubt it will in my few remaining years.
Uncle Salty is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-25-2012, 03:56 PM   #5 (permalink)
Premium Member

dfrooney wants to know Dino or Syn?
I'm assuming you're paying to have this done and the extra cost is labor? I don't recall needing any extra parts when I changed bars and ran the wires internal.

I didn't see any reason not to put them internal when I did mine. If there ever is an issue with the wiring, I'm going to have to take a lot of stuff apart to run a new wire anyway, the extra work of internal vs external at that point didn't seem worth worrying about.

I have a road king so my bars are on full display and the internal wiring I think is a big improvement in the look.
Old 09-25-2012, 04:39 PM   #6 (permalink)
Ghetto Blaster

1bdBagr wants to know Dino or Syn?
I think it depends on which style of bars u use as far as how easy or costly iit is. Year of bike too...especially if it's TBW. I used beach bars and running the wires was relatively easy, just can be time consuming as you want to do it right. I've had ZERO problems and on a Road King, the others are right, the wiring is right there for all to see, in all of it's black vinyl wrapped glory. If you care about looks and detail, then this is another detail that adds up. If you do it yourself, whats a few hours of toying on your scoot anyway?
Tim

2000 Road King on Mulholland approaching the Rock Store. BEFORE and After at 7000' elevation in Central Ca USFS Scenic Byway
1bdBagr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-25-2012, 05:17 PM   #7 (permalink)
Ironbutt

MilesToGo wants to know Dino or Syn?
For me, internal is the only way to go. If i'm changing bars then it's worth the extra effort/expense. You have to decide what it's worth to you.
2003 Heritage Softail Classic
- 95ci, stage III heads, RB LSR exhaust, S&S 510 cams, 100hp 102tq
MilesToGo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-25-2012, 06:33 PM   #8 (permalink)
IronButt

Nitram_b4 is reading this now saying WTF is this?
I did mine internally, much cleaner, that was almost 40,000 miles ago
Nitram_b4 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-25-2012, 07:11 PM   #9 (permalink)
Lifetime Premium

bcomes wants to know Dino or Syn?
The one thing I find nice about internal wiring is when I wrap my tie-down straps around the bars to trailer the bike. I have an Ultra so there's really no other place to grab onto it to strap it down. It's not impossible to tuck the straps under the wiring but if it's internal, all you have to stay clear of is the brake cable and the clutch cable.
bcomes is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-25-2012, 07:50 PM   #10 (permalink)
FNG :)

Cole'sHD wants to know Dino or Syn?
I went with internal...PITA but worth it. Good Luck.
Cole
Cole'sHD is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-26-2012, 03:05 PM   #11 (permalink)
Premium Member

dfrooney wants to know Dino or Syn?
If paying a wrench to do it when they are already changing bars and they charge you more than an hour labor to do the wires internal...I would call BS.
Old 09-26-2012, 05:49 PM   #12 (permalink)
Ironbutt

MilesToGo wants to know Dino or Syn?
Quote:
Originally Posted by bcomes View Post
The one thing I find nice about internal wiring is when I wrap my tie-down straps around the bars to trailer the bike. I have an Ultra so there's really no other place to grab onto it to strap it down. It's not impossible to tuck the straps under the wiring but if it's internal, all you have to stay clear of is the brake cable and the clutch cable.
Using tie-downs on the bars is not a good idea. There is enough room to slip a strap over the triple tree on each side.
2003 Heritage Softail Classic
- 95ci, stage III heads, RB LSR exhaust, S&S 510 cams, 100hp 102tq
MilesToGo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-26-2012, 06:42 PM   #13 (permalink)
Lifetime Premium

bcomes wants to know Dino or Syn?
Straps around handlebars

Quote:
Originally Posted by MilesToGo View Post
Using tie-downs on the bars is not a good idea. There is enough room to slip a strap over the triple tree on each side.
I suspected this conversation would surface. I can't see where straps can be wrapped around the triple tree on an ultra without tearing up some parts. Do you really do this - on an ultra? I don't like it either but I've strapped onto the bars for many thousands of miles - without incident.
bcomes is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-27-2012, 11:07 AM   #14 (permalink)
IronButt

1Canuck wants to know Dino or Syn?
unless you change bars annually, then internal if the bars are designed to accept internal.
1Canuck is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-28-2012, 11:11 AM   #15 (permalink)
Seasoned Rider

Neuropac wants to know Dino or Syn?
Internal is the way to go really cleans the bars up not that hard to do your self, plenty of info on the web ( you tube ect ) on doing it.
Neuropac is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the V-Twin Forum : Harley-Davidson Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. WE WILL SEND A CONFIRMATION EMAIL TO THE ADDRESS YOU PROVIDE. If the email address is NOT VALID, you will not be given access to the system!
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.