Internal vs External - Page 2 : V-Twin Forum: Harley Davidson Forums
» Sponsors

» Insurance
Go Back   V-Twin Forum : Harley-Davidson Motorcycle Forums > General Discussion Forums > Harley-Davidson Touring
New User? Register Forgot Password

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-28-2012, 11:41 PM   #16 (permalink)
IronButt

Brew61 wants to know Dino or Syn?
This summer I install some 12.5 Chubbys on my RG. I went with internal wiring. I did everything myself so the cost was next to nothing. Internal wiring just cleans up the bars nicely. As for problems with it, I guess it all depends how good of a job you do.

I got a bunch of 16 gage wire from work and only had to go out and buy some heat shrink tubing. When I cut my wires to extend them, I staggered the cuts to each wire by about 2 inches. This way all the joints were not in one big bunch. I soldered each joint and doubled heat shrink each soldering joint. I then divided the wires into two strands and heat shrink the whole stand from one end to the other. Then pulled them through the bars, very easy and simple and hardly at any cost.

Bruce

2004 Road king FLHRCI
107 10.5-1 Flat top Pistons
S&S 4 3/8 Flywheels
Timken Conversion
Heads, Serdi Street port by Vee Twin Racing
S&S 585 gear drive Easy Start cams
S&S Quickee pushrod kit
Throttle body ported to 48mm by Dan Vance Racing
SE Air Cleaner kit with Zippers Filter
S&S Power Tune duals
Vance & Hines Basic Slash Slip-ons
Burly Lite Clutch Kit
HD Reduced Clutch inner/outer ramps
AIM Corp 480Lb. Clutch Spring
Baisley LMR-004 Oil Pump Spring
ThunderMax Auto Tuner
Brew61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-29-2012, 05:30 PM   #17 (permalink)
Life is grand!

YoDA wants to know Dino or Syn?
I have PY 1" Monkey Bars on my 2003 Ultra and I ran internal wires. The PY bars have a sharp angle at the top which was a PITA to run the wires through but I did it eventually. Love the clean look--even with the fairing. Over 85,000 miles with internal wiring and not one problem. Go internal.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC01363.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	33.6 KB
ID:	74596  

2011 ElectraGlide Limited
Wild One Chubby Apes with internal wiring
Arlen Ness heavy breather
Quick release tour pak
PowerCommander V
MGS True Duals
YoDA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 07:29 PM   #18 (permalink)
FNG :)

smithbrl wants to know Dino or Syn?
I have an 09 Ultra and when I changed my bars I ran the wiring internally. It was fairly time consuming but well worth it. Bars look 100% better without those wires exposed IMO.
Old 11-12-2012, 07:36 PM   #19 (permalink)
IronButt

tmd11111 wants to know Dino or Syn?
Quote:
Originally Posted by dfrooney View Post
If paying a wrench to do it when they are already changing bars and they charge you more than an hour labor to do the wires internal...I would call BS.
You’ve obviously never internally wired some bars before.
tmd11111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 02:46 PM   #20 (permalink)
Premium Member

dfrooney wants to know Dino or Syn?
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmd11111 View Post
You’ve obviously never internally wired some bars before.
I did my own, I didn't find it that difficult.
Old 11-26-2012, 03:20 PM   #21 (permalink)
Sniper

gunnysgt wants to know Dino or Syn?
Wiring the bars internally can be a PITA, I just finished my third set this weekend. The TBW bikes have more wires to run on the right side than throttle cable bikes. Most of the hassle is takin those infernal Molex connectors apart to pull the pins but once you get the hang of it, it aint bad. I would suggest that you use 1 1/4 inch bars to wire internally, I use the Wild One Chubbys with excellent results and no wicked weird bends to fight. Mark the position of the wires carefully and make sure all the three parts of the Molex are lined up properly before snapping the connector back together.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Apes 2.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	91.2 KB
ID:	75007  

Last edited by gunnysgt; 11-26-2012 at 03:23 PM.
gunnysgt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 04:58 PM   #22 (permalink)
IronButt

tmd11111 wants to know Dino or Syn?
Quote:
Originally Posted by dfrooney View Post
I did my own, I didn't find it that difficult.
I never claimed it was difficult. Was just reponding to a member saying that it shouldnt be more then an hours labor to do it. A bike like my '11 RGU has 32 wires off of the handle bar controls. If you have heated grips you can add 4 more to that. I don't care how many times your wired them internally its not happening in an hour.
tmd11111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 04:51 PM   #23 (permalink)
Premium Member

dfrooney wants to know Dino or Syn?
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmd11111 View Post
I never claimed it was difficult. Was just reponding to a member saying that it shouldnt be more then an hours labor to do it. A bike like my '11 RGU has 32 wires off of the handle bar controls. If you have heated grips you can add 4 more to that. I don't care how many times your wired them internally its not happening in an hour.
understood...my '04 RK only had 6 wires so it went pretty quick.
Old 11-29-2012, 05:35 PM   #24 (permalink)
IronButt

FLHTDan wants to know Dino or Syn?
I'm not going to give any advice on this weather to go external or internal. Here's something to think about ...
This post reminds me of a guy I saw a few years back in Sturgis that bought a new pair of short apes. He decides to switch them out at the campground. He got the wiring in halfway and they got stuck. Could not pull them out or shove them in. Got caught on a burr inside. He spent all afternoon on this thing. His girlfriend standing there watching instead of riding. Several people stopped by to help. He eventually tore them out and the cable and wires were shredded.
I felt bad for they guy.
FLHTDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 06:09 PM   #25 (permalink)
Seasoned Rider

SunCruise wants to know Dino or Syn?
Quote:
Originally Posted by gunnysgt View Post
Wiring the bars internally can be a PITA, I just finished my third set this weekend. The TBW bikes have more wires to run on the right side than throttle cable bikes. Most of the hassle is takin those infernal Molex connectors apart to pull the pins but once you get the hang of it, it aint bad. I would suggest that you use 1 1/4 inch bars to wire internally, I use the Wild One Chubbys with excellent results and no wicked weird bends to fight. Mark the position of the wires carefully and make sure all the three parts of the Molex are lined up properly before snapping the connector back together.

This past summer I did my first set. Took my time (many hrs) made a diagram of each connector and where each color wire went into it. Used lots of hand cream and and pulled wire (plastic sheath and all) through. No drastic bends on 1 1/4 dresser bars. My hard part was connecting the plugs back together inside the nacelle. Extensions were "not needed" but I sure could'a used em. Love the clean look when the windshield is off !!
SC

'09 FLHRC 103/se204
SunCruise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 08:12 PM   #26 (permalink)
Seasoned Rider

B1gfun wants to know Dino or Syn?
I'm about to change my bars out. I am going with internal. Love the clean look. Lots of help from the folks here. I'm nervous about it, but have done some research and feel confident I will be able to get it done. Good luck.
B1gfun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 11:55 PM   #27 (permalink)
Banned

RichardDragon wants to know Dino or Syn?
Do you take pride in your ride? Do you keep it clean, polished and fully detailed? If you do then you are probably the type of person who will take pride in the clean look of the internal wiring. If you are the kind of guy who just gets on his scooter and enjoys riding the snot out of it regardless of how dirty it is then you probably wouldn't care one way or the other. Personally I prefer the wires in the bars, it looks better, especially on the throttle by wire bikes. Its your time, your money and your bike, do what makes you happy.
RichardDragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement