V-Twin Forum banner

Roadking fairing

36K views 39 replies 29 participants last post by  skypilot_one 
#1 ·
I am looking for input on adding a fairing to my 01 Roadking. I currently have a Memphis Shades Fairing on the bike. I would like to add a radio as well. I have seen a few Roadkings with the full
e-glide fairing installed. Anyone ever done a conversion and is it worth the work/$$$, or should a guy just but an aftermarket faring with a spot for a radio and speakers?

#2 ·
You can install a RG or a bat wing faring on your RK it is done all of the time the RK is the same bike as any other touring bike just stripped down. It it worth ? not really you would be money ahead to trade for what you really want.
This is not my bike but a random RK with a RG faring it was done well but costly.

#4 ·
I would be real interested in a fairing for my 05 FLHRCI as well. I don't need a radio though, but do need a fairing with clearance for my bar mounted HD tach. I emailed Memphis Shades and never got a reply...business must be real good. :whistle:

It seems a fully detachable mount compatible with the stock FLHR windshield would be a big seller. I think most fairing manufactures modify the mount to accommodate their fairing but it looks like the stock windshield cannot be re installed on the new brackets.

Honestly, Memphis probably saved me a $1000 by not responding. I was all gung-ho after Sturgis to get more wind and rain protection, but that has faded in memory now. I'll use that money for gas and rooms for the next trip...

#9 ·
That's what makes the world go around. Me? I just traded my Batwing FLHT for an RK because it's just too hot riding behind it on local rides during the South Florida summer and I love the clear view of the road. Being able to add a Batwing to an RK just for touring in cooler weather is ideal for me. Congrats on the RG - I love their looks.

Paul

#7 ·
There used to be a company in canada who made stainless brackets to mount a OEM H-D shell (McKays?) to the detachable mounts. Downside it had no inner shell or ability to mount a radio. Most of the aftermarket fairings are so expensive and not that light so they usually bolt on thru the triple tree bosses. Meaning i don't think you'd want some thief having the ability to remove your $1000 + fairing and stereo equipment in 30 seconds. Most people don't remove them once they are on anyway. Once you ride with a batwing style fairing you will never want to mount that stock brick in the wind RK windshield. IMO anyway. I'm using a Bob Dron/Ness fairing that's pretty sleek and small and it hides my HD Boom Audio iPod based stereo system. We'll see how it does on the road soon. Not nearly the protection a batwing offers but is OK, some like the looks some don't.
On smitty901's pic that looks great and all but i don't get the using the stock Road King tank with the Road Glide/Batwing fairing. Just finish the job and make all the gauges and radio work in the OEM fairing and lose the RK gauges and dash assy.
Tim

#14 ·
I have an 05 FLHRCI where I run the stock windshield in the warmer months and then a 1972 Electra Glide fairing using the McKay brackets in the colder months. McKay stopped making the brackets several years ago. I believe they sold it to another company but do not know who they are. They did have brackets for Softails and Road Kings. The Softail bracket mounts the fairing higher (about 1") than it should be if put on a Road King.

#18 ·
I have an '06 RKC and I installed a Hoppe Industries Quadzilla batwing = it's the best thing I ever did to my bike!!! It wasn't cheap, but it ROCKS even at highway speeds! I had installed a Kuryakn(?) self-powered stereo and it was fine around town, but as soon as I got out on the highway, most songs (depending on their recording levels) were unlistenable. The Quadzilla (again, not cheap) keeps me rocking out while I'm riding!

#19 ·
Sinister

John Shoppes Sinister Industries has a really nice set up for converting a RK. Their fairings come set up to run 6x9 speakers and are very well made. AMERICAN made products. They actually make their parts in house.

#21 ·
05 Road King

I put a reckless on my 05 RK and bought my own marine radio and 6x9 marine speakers. Custom painted the bike and fairing and loved it. Pearl white with silver trim. Sorry no pics. At work now. fit great and sounded great. mounted remote on gas tank and worked fine. Not like my Ultra classic but I can live with it.

#22 ·
I am thinking about doing this too. So many choices, I can't decide what to do. :huh::huh:

#23 ·
Take a close look at the Dragonfly Fairing...

#24 · (Edited)
Looks like most of these run about $1600.00, plus paint. Reckless is about half the money of the other ones. I am assuming they're not built as well. ??

#25 ·
Looks like most of these run about $1600.00, plus paint. Reckless is about half the money of the other ones. I am assuming their not built as well. ??
My reckless was very well put together. My body shop guy had no trouble with fitment and or painting it. Got many compliments on it after painting and install at Myrtle Beach Bike this spring. Just my $.02. Good luck in your decision.

#26 ·
Looks like most of these run about $1600.00, plus paint. Reckless is about half the money of the other ones. I am assuming their not built as well. ??

Hey Rob. I have a Wide Open on my RKC. Four 5.25 Polks in the fairing and two 6X9's mounted in the lids of the leather bags. Let me know if you want to come and take a look.

Dave

#29 ·
Hey Rob. I have a Wide Open on my RKC. Four 5.25 Polks in the fairing and two 6X9's mounted in the lids of the leather bags. Let me know if you want to come and take a look.
Dave
Thanks Dave, I will look into that and let you know.

#27 ·
I had a Tsukayu batwing on my Road King Classic around $1200.00 for gloss black painted inner and outer, good quality, good price and that was with full stereo and 6x9 speakers.
Took it off after 2 months and sold it. Missed the classic look of the Road King. I would say buy the bike you want, don't try and turn a RK into something it's not.

#28 ·
I would say buy the bike you want, don't try and turn a RK into something it's not.
That's Funny! Have you seen what I have done to the bike so far?:hystria:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.