Winter wind blockage - Ultra Classic : V-Twin Forum: Harley Davidson Forums
» Sponsors

» Insurance
Go Back   V-Twin Forum : Harley-Davidson Motorcycle Forums > General Discussion Forums > Harley-Davidson Touring
New User? Register Forgot Password

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-12-2012, 11:46 AM   #1 (permalink)
FNG :)

Steve_H wants to know Dino or Syn?
Winter wind blockage - Ultra Classic

So I've got a 2012 Ultra Classic, stock large windscreen, fairing vents, lowers with vents.

Starting to get cooler in the mornings and I'd like to know if there are any options for a little additional wind blockage? Was in the 40's today. The fairing and lowers work great, but there seems to be a good blast of air that flows up between the bottom of the fairing and the top of the lowers, are there any deflectors that would help increase the 'bubble' and get that last bit of wind deflected out and around the rider?
Steve_H is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-12-2012, 12:00 PM   #2 (permalink)
IronButt

baggerman11 wants to know Dino or Syn?
yep, harley has the deflectors that will deflect the heat of the engine up towards your body in the winter time and will block the heat in the summer time. also many aftermarket dealers carry them, kurakyn carries them also.
Old 09-12-2012, 12:29 PM   #3 (permalink)

Thanks for the reply. I have a 2012 Ultra so I've already got the mid frame deflectors, and now that you mention it they're still on so maybe taking them off would help. If you're talking about another kind of deflector that actually redirects hot air up at the rider, I can't find them, could you post a link?

I was thinking that fork mounted lowers might also help, anyone know if there are any that will work on an ultra?
Old 09-13-2012, 12:26 PM   #4 (permalink)
IronButt

Geoff wants to know Dino or Syn?
Just leave your motor in stock trim. They run pretty lean and hot from the factory.

Jokes aside...besides heated grips, there's not much you can add to an Ultra. It already has good wind protection. A better investment might be a heated vest or a textile coat with removable fleece liner. I use one with matching pants. Both pieces are waterproof. They eliminate having to carry rain gear and extra clothes on road trips.
Old 09-13-2012, 12:45 PM   #5 (permalink)
I'm Your Huckleberry

Mr Cujo wants to know Dino or Syn?
Also an Ultra rider here...
There is a deflector that mounts right under the front of the tank. It screws to the bottom of the triple tree. Works very well to manage the chin blast.
Also, get a set of the deflectors that mount on the lower side edge of the batwing. They have adjustable ones and fixed ones. Either will work to make the 'envelope' larger.
You can also install a set of chrome side deflectors that mount on the fork tubes and come on so many Road Kings... NOTE -- The manual will tell you that these chrome deflectors will not fit. And it is true. They will not fit without interfering with your lowers UNLESS you are sooooper careful how you mount them, AND/OR you cut as much as 6" off the bottom of the deflector to allow for the forks to swing side to side.

There you go --- 3 things that are affordable and easy bolt on solutions to cold weather riding ..

FWIW, the triple tree deflector will give the most bang for the buck... The side deflectors and fork deflectors also deliver but the center one is the real deal.

Have a good one...

Cujo

The power of accurate observation is often called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

Politically Incorrect, Morally Challenged

Cujo's Blog - CLICKY

-----------------------------
'07 Ultra -> Covington, Ga.
Samuel L. Jackson fixed my bike.
Chuck Norris in the front cylinder, Jack Bauer in the back cylinder, Tommy Lee Jones in the tranny.
You should quit now. Your mods suck.

Last edited by Mr Cujo; 09-13-2012 at 12:47 PM.
Mr Cujo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 02:22 AM   #6 (permalink)

hank-hill wants to know Dino or Syn?
Installed a set of these on my ultra and made a world of difference. No more air coming up from the tank area. It also ended the helmet buffering completely as an added bonus
http://jescustomaccents.com/product....&categoryId=34
hank-hill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 01:34 AM   #7 (permalink)

Thanks guys.

I have the adjustable vents on the batwing, they were standard on the 2012 ultra. They work very well.

The main remaining wind comes up around from between the batwing and the lowers, and comes in pretty good right over the lower and up toward my chest. I think the fork tube mounted deflectors in the post above might be the ticket.

Thanks!
Old 09-18-2012, 04:56 AM   #8 (permalink)
IronButt

Mike02 wants to know Dino or Syn?
Gerbing heated gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve_H View Post
So I've got a 2012 Ultra Classic, stock large windscreen, fairing vents, lowers with vents.

Starting to get cooler in the mornings and I'd like to know if there are any options for a little additional wind blockage? Was in the 40's today. The fairing and lowers work great, but there seems to be a good blast of air that flows up between the bottom of the fairing and the top of the lowers, are there any deflectors that would help increase the 'bubble' and get that last bit of wind deflected out and around the rider?
Go to www.gerbing.com get yourself a heated jacket liner, gloves and adjustable t-stat... you"ll be riding nice n toasty warm!!
Mike02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 08:34 PM   #9 (permalink)
Lifetime Premium

bcomes wants to know Dino or Syn?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Cujo View Post
Also an Ultra rider here...
There is a deflector that mounts right under the front of the tank. It screws to the bottom of the triple tree. Works very well to manage the chin blast.

FWIW, the triple tree deflector will give the most bang for the buck... The side deflectors and fork deflectors also deliver but the center one is the real deal.

Have a good one...
Cujo
My knee always seems to get the blast.

Is the triple tree deflector a HD product or will I find it somewhere else.
bcomes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 11:19 PM   #10 (permalink)
Seasoned Rider

DK Custom wants to know Dino or Syn?
Quote:
Originally Posted by bcomes View Post
My knee always seems to get the blast.

Is the triple tree deflector a HD product or will I find it somewhere else.
It is called a front fork air baffle and it is an HD product. Part # is 58520-79TC

Another couple of products that I have found very useful in the winter -

Tank Lift- this will further reduce the flow of air up over the top of the tank. Click HERE

LRS Flat Top Recurve windshield. It does a great job of keeping the cold wind off of you. Click HERE
DK Custom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 04:37 PM   #11 (permalink)
IronButt

ultra103 wants to know Dino or Syn?
Believe it or not, OPENING the batwing vents 1/4" will take some of that 'up blast' away and direct it around your body. Seems counter-intuitive, but works.

I have the '12 Limited and it works as well as it did on my '08 Classic.
ultra103 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 05:46 PM   #12 (permalink)
IronButt

utrvp is reading this now saying WTF is this?
Quote:
Originally Posted by DK Custom View Post
It is called a front fork air baffle and it is an HD product. Part # is 58520-79TC

Tank Lift- this will further reduce the flow of air up over the top of the tank. Click HERE

LRS Flat Top Recurve windshield. It does a great job of keeping the cold wind off of you. Click HERE
A customer here at the shop has a butt ugly windshield that wraps around but appears to be very functional for keeping the wind off you. I would only put it on in the winter and even then only on very cold days. The trouble is I have no idea what it is called or who makes it. It extends beyond the left and right edges where the stock shield ends, follows closely along the top edge of the fairing and then curves back on the edges. Looks like it would be effective in keeping the wind off but it is butt ugly. If he comes in anytime soon I will find out what the name of it is and where to get one.
Laws that forbid the carrying of arms… disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes… Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man. -Jefferson’s “Commonplace Book,” 1774_1776, quoting from On Crimes and Punishment, by criminologist Cesare Beccaria, 1764
utrvp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 08:15 PM   #13 (permalink)
Seasoned Rider

B1gfun wants to know Dino or Syn?
I am going to try add the side deflectors and see if that helps as well. Thanks for the advise guys.
B1gfun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 07:51 AM   #14 (permalink)
IronButt

PosseRider wants to know Dino or Syn?
Quote:
Originally Posted by DK Custom View Post

That part used to be stock equipment. HD fugured a way to get more$$ from us. It works great. Those fork mounted one dont work as well & make the bike butt ugly. I threw mine away.
PosseRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 12:53 AM   #15 (permalink)
IronButt

Location: Motto.. Live for today becuase you never know what tomorrow brings...
1L243 wants to know Dino or Syn?
I have the fork baffle as well. It may help but your still going to get air between the lowers and fairing. You knees will also get wet when it starts to rain.

I would go for the baffle it can only help. The fork deflectors would be something you may have to take off in the summer.

I ride with chaps and I have Gerbings liner jacket and gauntlet gloves.