Bought it 22 days ago, possible issue : V-Twin Forum: Harley Davidson Forums
» Sponsors

» Insurance
Go Back   V-Twin Forum : Harley-Davidson Motorcycle Forums > General Discussion Forums > Harley-Davidson Touring
New User? Register Forgot Password

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-22-2012, 01:54 AM   #1 (permalink)
IronButt

Rendell wants to know Dino or Syn?
Bought it 22 days ago, possible issue

I purchased it the 31st if July, 2006 FLHTCU Ultra Classic, 20k miles. When I purchased the bike it had been setting for a bit, I'm not sure how long. I have not ridden it for more than 300 miles yet. I had notice right away (like the second day, within 20 miles of ridding it.) that it was bluing all the way back on the right side, to about 6 to 8 inches of the slip on. It was not blued when I took delivery. I am unsure of the slip on type but they are not stock. The headers look stock. It also has a stage one kit. It didn't come with a tuner, but the dealer will only assure me that it was went through and was running great. I've been riding it to work and to the gym. I spent one day putting maybe 60 miles on it, and that is it. I filled it up, and put 70 miles on it driving to and from work. The extended warranty is not even kicked in yet. The last 3 days it back fires and dies, then cranks slow when when restarting, then starts and runs fine. This happens once on the way to work, and once on the way home. I ride about 2.5 miles to work. The amp gauge is showing 14, and is at 12 with the engine not running. When cranking it shows it moves between 10 and 12. that should be fine. However, the backfire and dieing is not right, I would think. The dealer represented the bike as basically stock at the sale. They even told me that it is standard practise for Harley owners to take off their aftermarket intake, and pipes when they trade it in. They put the stocks back on. it ran kind of shitty at first like it just had fuel in it that had been there a while, like I said it had been there a while. So I put 93 octane, no ethanol gas in it, before and after taking that 60 -70 mile ride that day. I've also ran about a shot of Lucas injector cleaner through in the post ride fill up.
To be honest the Dealers post sale support has been just short of none. I had told the guy that I wanted my Harley as bone stock as possible, because 80% of my friends that have Harleys and put in a SE Cam, and other internal engine parts have had very costly repairs related to those "Upgrades". The back fire what normally causes that? Possibly a cam "Upgrade"? It is my intention to email this issue to the dealer just incase they decide to help, or that I end up escalating the issue later.
Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.
Rendell is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-22-2012, 02:43 AM   #2 (permalink)
HATER OF THE GRAVEL!!!!!!

Jeffytune is reading this now saying WTF is this?
It's not the norm here, most of the parts on a 2006 will not work on and bike newer then 2008.

I would drop it off at there service center and tell them to fix it.

2010 FLHTCUI
96 CID w/ the quiet 6 speed
K&N RK-3930 air filter
Harley quiet high flow 110 mufflers
Vance and Hines Fuelpak

I have learned, Just say NO to Dyno's!
Member DooF Clenas , and proud of it.

Professional Rockat Surgen
Disclaimer.
I do not work for Vance and Hines, I just like their stuff. Any suggestions I make are to be used at your own risk.
Jeffytune is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-22-2012, 07:29 AM   #3 (permalink)
IronButt

Thanks, Jeff. That's what I was thinking. I sent the email, we will see what the response is.
Old 08-22-2012, 08:25 AM   #4 (permalink)
IronButt

Ed Y wants to know Dino or Syn?
I think it would also be in your best interests to get the name and phone # of the previous owner and contact him/her to see what's been done to the bike and possible problems, if any.
Ed Y is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-22-2012, 09:50 AM   #5 (permalink)
Lifetime Premium

angelflights wants to know Dino or Syn?
Have them test the battery and charging system for free. CHocking out and dieing is that sort of symtom. 2006 have tensioncam shoes look in the oil for orange flakes of shoe. You can open your filter for that too.

Blueing is a sign og overheating, hve you tested it with a temp guage. If its over 260 degrees I think thats too high and symtom of a bad tune up. Have you checked the spark plugs for detonation?

Shouldnt be blueing down to the muffler, maybe to the right floorboard at your foot is normal. Thats the cause of running too lean due to the stage 1 and AC, removing the aftermarket exhaust and putting the stock back on wont work right with out a retune and in itself has altered the tune peramitiers like volume efficencies and timing, not to mention a half dozen others.

Buy a tuner TTS, replace the stock fullers( they choke after 10k) with a free flowing set like SE, and get re-tuned and dynoed. That something HD wont do. Al they will do is drop in a map thats too lean. That all they ever do, God Bless them.

One other suggestion is get a new performance cam, with the SS cam timeing gear, lifters and rods, cost is 1300-1700 and includes dyno and retune. Priceless.

I didnt get a A in grahmer.

Last edited by angelflights; 08-22-2012 at 10:33 AM.
angelflights is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-22-2012, 10:30 AM   #6 (permalink)
IronButt

59panhead wants to know Dino or Syn?
put a GOOD 2-1 exhaust 1st then Add a Fulepac to it from V&H the motor like all H-D motors are lean....when you program the V&H you will get better performance response and the motor will get more fuel & power you dont need to spend a lot of wasted money with maps and programers and dynos! About 4-6 hrs work and you can do it yourself.....change all your fluids to Good Stuff like redline , spectro or amsoil 20/50 full synthetic and the the trans to a 70/140 severe gear trans lube like Amsoil or Spectro gear oil Dont run Harley stuff! it doesnt even rank in the top 5 in everything an oil is supposed to do for a V-Twin Motor! @2 dont let a Harley dealer touch it!

Last edited by 59panhead; 08-22-2012 at 10:35 AM.
59panhead is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-22-2012, 12:18 PM   #7 (permalink)
IronButt

Topgeye wants to know Dino or Syn?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed Y View Post
I think it would also be in your best interests to get the name and phone # of the previous owner and contact him/her to see what's been done to the bike and possible problems, if any.
This was my very first thought also, but if it was a dealer trade (another dealer) that may be a goose chase. As in they may not want to rock the boat because they weren't honest about any issues when they traded it. You mentioned a warranty. Just out of curiosity, how did you come by this on an 06 bike? If it does have one, use it to it's fullest extent. But we are in the real world and warranties are warranties. They cover everything but the problem you're having at the time. Hope you get it resolved.
Topgeye is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-22-2012, 12:59 PM   #8 (permalink)
IronButt

Thanks Folks. The dealer said that the bike is running lean. I thought to myself really. they also said, "then you might have to install a Super Tuner and have it Dyno tuned." I replied that they represented the bike as running great, and having been "checked out" when they took it in. I also, pointed out that I purchased on july 31st, and sent my first inquiry about this within 20 miles, and on the 6th of august, showing that is has never ran right since purchase. I then informed him that if it was not running right, I would have never purchased it know that I would have to put a bunch of money in to it to make it ride ready. I stated that this was the dealership's chance to make it right and ask how the dealership intended to make the bike run properly. I also pointed out that the lean issue should have been disclosed at the time of purchase. I'm waiting on a response. I'll keep the thread updated. I greatly appreciate everyone's responses.
Old 08-22-2012, 05:50 PM   #9 (permalink)
Ironbutt

MilesToGo wants to know Dino or Syn?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rendell View Post
Thanks Folks. The dealer said that the bike is running lean. I thought to myself really. they also said, "then you might have to install a Super Tuner and have it Dyno tuned." I replied that they represented the bike as running great, and having been "checked out" when they took it in. I also, pointed out that I purchased on july 31st, and sent my first inquiry about this within 20 miles, and on the 6th of august, showing that is has never ran right since purchase. I then informed him that if it was not running right, I would have never purchased it know that I would have to put a bunch of money in to it to make it ride ready. I stated that this was the dealership's chance to make it right and ask how the dealership intended to make the bike run properly. I also pointed out that the lean issue should have been disclosed at the time of purchase. I'm waiting on a response. I'll keep the thread updated. I greatly appreciate everyone's responses.
Sounds like it's definitely running lean. Bottom line...they misreprested the bike. Hopefully, they will step up and make it right. Otherwise, you are going to have to shell out a few $$$ to get it tuned properly.
2003 Heritage Softail Classic
- 95ci, stage III heads, RB LSR exhaust, S&S 510 cams, 100hp 102tq
MilesToGo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-22-2012, 07:28 PM   #10 (permalink)
IronButt

The guy replied again he stated that running lean is not a warranty issue. He promised to talk to his GM tomorrow. I will see what he says. and post the information.
Old 08-22-2012, 09:41 PM   #11 (permalink)
Lifetime Premium

angelflights wants to know Dino or Syn?
Get to the bottom of the the die-out issue? It could be that its due to them changing out the pipes. when they did that they changed the tune up and they are responsible for it running improperly tuned. Lots going on there with the tune like when the bike reaches certain temps, the ecm compensates by changing the air and fuel mixtures as well as the timing to keep it running smooth and trouble free.

Did the dealer do a re-tune after removeing the aftermarket exhaust, he should have cause he changed the conditions that the ecm map that came with the bike were configured upon. He should drop in a new map that more closely resembles the build of your bike now (without aftermarket pipes) and at no charge to you of a ($150)......

Thats because the bikes combustion variables were changed when they replaced the headers and or the mufflers, a very important part of the complete tuning system, it should get new ecm map dropped in from them.

2006 was a very good year for 88" motors. If it is a stock motor or not GM should be able to tell you what the guy who gave them the bike said it had in it.

If your gonna keep it stock nothing wrong with that. You actualy dont even need a fuel management toy like Race tuner, Power Commander, TTS or Power Pack to tune it. HD can dorp in a new tune up map for the ecm that resembles the AC and Exhaust, or stage 1 upgrade. They run lean to keep EPA happy. Lots of happy stock and leaner running bikes on the road with no complaints.

Ill say it one last time, It came in with a stage one upgrade built on differnt exhaust system and they chanegd that by going with stock headers, or changed mufflers. Stage 1 was changed so should have been the tune on it. errgh on HD fir that.

If the owner changed the pipes they would have gotten blue by him driving it. I dont belive it for one minute. HD most likely changed out the pipes for one reason or another and never ran it thats why they got blue when you drove it.

Have you got the battery checked?

Last edited by angelflights; 08-22-2012 at 10:28 PM.
angelflights is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-22-2012, 10:22 PM   #12 (permalink)
IronButt

The issue is that I'm sure it has a stage one intake "upgrade", because the plastic aournd the back of the intake is gone. The header pipes appear to be stock, the mufflers are aftermarket that are obviously cheap, since they are un-marked. Also the dealer admitted that they were cheap slip ons, non stock. I personally would love to have it stock. Because the 06 came with a 96 inch Fuel injected that has plenty of power for me. Heck I'd be happy if they just tune it and make it run proper. I'm not asking the dealer for anything extra. I'm only asking for the bike to be as represented at the time of purchase. Nothing more, nothing less. Also, I'm not saying that you are saying that I am. I just wanted to make sure everyone here to understand this. I love the way the bike handles. I bought a Harley for the whole Harley value retention, as I may want to trade it in to upgrade to a brand new harley in the next three for four years. I used to be a Honda guy since the reliability is bulletproof. But the resale value is not compared to the Harley. I have been won over by this bike even with this issue. Lastly, I appreciate all of the input from everyone.
Old 08-23-2012, 02:55 AM   #13 (permalink)
Lifetime Premium

ViennaHog wants to know Dino or Syn?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rendell View Post
The issue is that I'm sure it has a stage one intake "upgrade", because the plastic aournd the back of the intake is gone. The header pipes appear to be stock, the mufflers are aftermarket that are obviously cheap, since they are un-marked. Also the dealer admitted that they were cheap slip ons, non stock. I personally would love to have it stock. Because the 06 came with a 96 inch Fuel injected that has plenty of power for me. Heck I'd be happy if they just tune it and make it run proper. I'm not asking the dealer for anything extra. I'm only asking for the bike to be as represented at the time of purchase. Nothing more, nothing less. Also, I'm not saying that you are saying that I am. I just wanted to make sure everyone here to understand this. I love the way the bike handles. I bought a Harley for the whole Harley value retention, as I may want to trade it in to upgrade to a brand new harley in the next three for four years. I used to be a Honda guy since the reliability is bulletproof. But the resale value is not compared to the Harley. I have been won over by this bike even with this issue. Lastly, I appreciate all of the input from everyone.
The 2006 were 88 c.i. in stock version, only SE came with bigger engines at the time. 96 ers came 2007. Take EdY advice and find the previous owner. If the bike had been sitting for a long time a plugged up fuel filter could cause lean and idle problems. Just a thought
ViennaHog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-23-2012, 08:04 AM   #14 (permalink)
IronButt

Quote:
Originally Posted by ViennaHog View Post
The 2006 were 88 c.i. in stock version, only SE came with bigger engines at the time. 96 ers came 2007. Take EdY advice and find the previous owner. If the bike had been sitting for a long time a plugged up fuel filter could cause lean and idle problems. Just a thought
Thanks.. that is information that I had wrong then. I'll look into this more.

added, yep you are correct. I did check out the owners manual online and it does say that FLHTCU came with an 88 inch. This is just one more thing that the dealer may have misrepresented since they did say it was a 96 inch motor, and not a Screaming Eagle/SE. I sent the Salesman an email, "This motorcycle is a 96 inch correct?". I'll post the response.
Replied with that it is a 88 inch. I will check the paperwork to see what it says.

Last edited by Rendell; 08-23-2012 at 10:20 AM. Reason: quick update.
Old 08-23-2012, 02:11 PM   #15 (permalink)
IronButt

Update,

Said that the GM might be late this afternoon... So still waiting..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the V-Twin Forum : Harley-Davidson Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. WE WILL SEND A CONFIRMATION EMAIL TO THE ADDRESS YOU PROVIDE. If the email address is NOT VALID, you will not be given access to the system!
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.