V-Twin Forum banner

Wheel bearing failure

46K views 52 replies 41 participants last post by  bartw 
#1 ·
I have a 2010 Ultra and already had to replace the wheel bearings. I noticed a howling noise coming from the front end and found that both bearings were in really bad shape. I did some searching and found several instances where owners of 2009 and 2010 Harleys were experiencing wheel bearing failures. Some bikes only had 5,000 miles. Since I was 6 weeks out of warranty, I thought I would call Harley customer service to see if they were aware of an issue and would they consider covering my bearing replacement. After speaking to them for a few minutes, he did concede that Harley changed the seal used on the bearings. Apparently when they changed over to 25mm bearings in 2008 or 2009, the seal wasn’t adequate and they started experiencing failures. They now have a superseded part number for the bearing which now has a double lip seal. I would advise that you check your bearings to make sure you don’t have any issues. Mine didn’t seize, but that is not something you want to happen as the results could be catastrophic. I mentioned this to my buddy who had just taken his Road King in for a new front tire. He asked them to be sure and check the wheel bearings. As it turned out, they were degraded and needed replacement. His bike had less then 10,000 miles on it.

#2 ·
Have 09 Ultra 50k on it have had one set of frt wheel bearings ( at 19k ) replaced under warranty! Second set went out at 42k. Now on third set of frt wheel bearing..Yes HD has a problem wife's 04 R King with 71k has original frt wheel bearing!!!! Quality control........or lack of IT !!!!!

#3 ·
When changing the front tire on my 2009 FLHT, at 22K, the right bearing seal fell off revealing a reddish (rusty?) residue inside the bearing. Checking it the bearing had a bit of movement so I had the dealer replace both, even though the left was fine. (The left bearing is a different part number because of ABS.) It was kinda of frustrating but it could have been worse. I caught it in my own garage and the failed right bearing was replaced, one with a new part number which has an improved seal. Check them at every tire change!

#6 ·
After reading this post I had the dealer check mine when I had a front tire replaced on my 09 FLHTC. They were bad and since I had just recently purchased it and added the extended warranty it was covered. So I am hearing stories of multiple replacements so the replacement bearings are not lasting either? Has anyone tried an aftermarket bearing that is wprking out better.

By the way I have 18000 miles.

#8 ·
After seeing this come up often I was at the dealership yesterday,and I am planning a big trip out west next summer and figure be a good time for new tires before I go and got thinking about replacing My bearings since its apart and asked him about these failures and He said yep been a problem.He said they've been sometimes using bearing from drag to replace them when oem ain't available and has not seen any of them fail yet.they are about half the price of HD and he suggested them when I do it he said what was different but I can't remember what if the seal was a different color or what from HD might be a different manufacturer????

#11 ·
Dumb guy question on a bike bearing. My 08 RKC w/6500 miles on it went in for it's final check on extended warranty in May I think. I have been hearing a rumble sound that almost seems to sound like it's in the windscreen. The Harley Dealer checked everything out and said it was fine for the road.

I've heard the wheel bearing bad on a car before, but not on a bike. Do you only hear it at speeds and it has an increasing volume the faster you go or can you check it somewhat on the jack?

Thanks

Aster

#22 ·
A week after having the inner primary bearing replaced I noticed a noise which reminded me of a helicopter missing a blade when exiting the freeway on to a ramp. Ended up being the front wheel bearing but I did have slightly over 50,000 on the bike so wasn't too surprised.

Pretty sad to hear all those failures at under 10,000 miles. That should not happen at that low a mileage!

#12 ·
I have an 11 RKC with 42,000 miles, no wheel bearing problems. I recently replaced both tires and made damn sure the dealer checked the original bearing.
Aster and Sheeds, 6,500 miles on your 08 and 06 bikes? Did you buy them to ride them?

#16 · (Edited)
I have 3 Harley's and "share the wealth" with exercise for them. Just got off a major Down & Out spell last fall with health that has 90% resolved. AND, with my 3 small businesses, and this economy, it's hard to squeeze in the riding time after 70-80 hr work weeks.

I'm going on a trip to the Smokie Mnt's later this month and will see how I do with a 2000+ trip. Been a while but looking forward to it. :)

Aster

#13 ·
Got a 09 Electra Classic 1st set went out at 14000, then at 20000 started to notice the same sound again when slowing to a stop. Went to the local bearing supplier and got SKF bearings. They did not have the Timken 205PP that is the replacement for non abs. If the SKF do not hold up for more than 6000 will try the Timkens.

#17 ·
I don't know what you guys are complaining about. The rear wheel bearings in my 12RGU were shot before I got it home. 35 miles and they were eating themselves up! Someone at the MoCo forgot a spacer in the hub during original assembly and it didn't take long to show up!

#18 · (Edited)
Thanks, I'll check my 2010 Ltd soon.

Given that I have gizmos for work, I'll probably spin the wheels and listen via contact ultrasound. I can use that and hear it like your dog does.

now, someone commented that they replaced both bearings on the front wheel while they were doing them. SMART Guy!!!

Always replace both bearings on a shaft in these cases. As a bearing fails, defect frequencies are generated, and these are transmitted down the shaft. Damage to the good bearing will occur.

Just because you can't see it, feel, or hear it, doesn't mean it isn't there. My vibration monitors show very fine defects that are difficult to find on inspection, and often it takes cutting the bearing up to find the flaw, but we always find it. Defects start very small in these cases and they never get better, only worse.

So, spent the money and do the wheel bearings in pairs. It may save you some grief.

#19 ·
I had the rear bearing fail on my '08 Wide Glide on my return trip from Sturgis in 2010. Only had 18k miles on the bike. The bearing disintegrated at 80 m.p.h. which then tore up the axle, the spacer, the bearing race, and the rim. Over $1000 in parts, not counting the 2-days of down-time plus meals, hotel, etc. I was able to get Harley to cover part of it, my extended warranty covered another part of it, and I covered the last few hundred. I'm glad it didn't cause me to crash on the highway, because when I got off the highway and slowed down the bike was almost unable to be ridden.

#21 ·
I have an 08 rocker. I had my first bearing failure at 6k...my second was at 13k at 65mph...almost crashed...was doing 110 an hour earlier...(at the track.of course...LOL). The second one did 1200 bucks damage...brakes, rotor, axle, BELT...Bottom line is that hd started.making these crap.bearings over seas and they are junk! Dont put in new junk!!! Afternthey fixed mine, I went to my idept. mechanic and he put.in TIMKEN bearings!!! All balls makes good one also. THe hd ones have hardly any grease...the tech at the dealer showed me BRAND new ones with rust on them...Get timken or all balls...less than 50 bucks for a whole set!!! check hd forum...tons of failures starting after 07...ride safe.

#24 ·
I realize this is an older thread...BUT... I just had to replace both front and rear wheel bearings. 2011 FLHTK with 9954 miles. Took to get 10000 miles service....All bearings bad !!! I had a 06' FLH Ultra with 60000 miles and no issues at all. I could feel these going when getting tight in corners, yes a little tire issue as well. I had it on the lift and spun the wheels and racheting sounds coming from bearings. So MOCO didn't change anything in 11' !!! Out of warrenty as well !! Of course !! Wish they would put out a recall and reimburse us who had failures below xxxx amount of miles !! I now know 5 others in my local area who have had the same issues...all under 15k !! That should tell MOCO something !!! Yes, PISSED OFF...at $75.00 per hour labor...gets spendy quick !!

#25 ·
This isn't really not new stuff. My brand new 85 EG would throw bearings at almost clock work every 15,000 miles or so. My last rear bearing was replaced for the fourth time at 63,000 and on the way home, wife was following and pulled up beside me and said I was throwing a trail of sparks. I rode back to the dealer. When it cooled down they couldn't even get it out. So bearing failure is not new to them. I sold the bike to them at a loss but I was tired of dealing with it. I'm beginning to think the bearings should be changed on every tire change.

#26 ·
Failing wheel bearings

Guy's,
Thanks for the warning on this issue, especially for the heavy tourers with ABS. I have already covered 40K kms on my 2010 model. At least you have a dealer on nearly every street corner, we have one on the east, central and west coast. I'm located in a remote area where the roads are uneven and dusty.

I bought one set of wheel bearings when in the US on vacation, now I realise should have bought two sets.

Anybody else make the ABS bearing besides the OEM model?

Thanks

#27 ·
Everyone who lost a wheel bearing should file a complaint with the USDOT Safercar.gov online form.

https://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/VehicleComplaint/index.xhtml

If we could get a few hundred complaints filed, they would investigate. Especially since this also can affect braking. Anyone who crashed, almost crashed, or got stuck out on the road, should take the time to explain how the bad bearings are a safety issue.

The MoCo doesn't give a crap about this. They will buy the bad bearings that show up at the door, but don't want to address the issue past two years. DOT can force a recall. Other than that, pulling wheels will become part of a 5K service. And it would appear that it's more than a few bad seals back in 09 and 10, as 2011 owners are beginning to report issues now too.

#31 ·
People will say, this is just a few people whinning on the internet. But it shouldn't he happening regardless.

The question is, is there a good aftermarket wheel bearing?

#32 ·
Replaced front bearings on my 09 at about 20,000 under warranty. Now it has 51000 on it and the replacement bearing is still doing fine. I understand HD upgraded the bearings in the repair (figured out they had a problem with the original ones...), and if you get those you'll hopefully have good luck with them.

#33 ·
I just bought a 2010 Ultra, it had 14,225 miles on it, and the front bearing was bad, a new tire and a set of bearings and all seems fine now. I hope this is an upgraded design.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.