Twist grip sensor symptoms : V-Twin Forum: Harley Davidson Forums
» Sponsors

» Insurance
Go Back   V-Twin Forum : Harley-Davidson Motorcycle Forums > General Discussion Forums > Harley-Davidson Touring
New User? Register Forgot Password

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-12-2012, 09:03 PM   #1 (permalink)
IronButt

guydoc77 wants to know Dino or Syn?
Twist grip sensor symptoms

I don't know if this has ever been discussed or not but I am going to describe the symptoms that I had with what turned out to be a bad twist grip sensor. My bike is an '08 Road Glide so has Throttle by Wire.

BvBob, several others and I just did a trip out west. At Cody, Wyoming a group of us went further west. As I was going through Yellowstone, painfully slow I might add, to get to the other side and onto US 287 North in West Yellowstone, my bike started acting up. The speeds through the park were everything from 0 to 45 or so. A lot of very light throttle. At the transition point between throttle open and throttle closed, the engine would act like it was getting fuel alternating with not getting fuel. This made riding it difficult to say the least. Beyond this transition point, the bike ran great. If I had to guess at throttle position, I'd guess between 1% and 3% or so. Most aggravating was that it was an intermittent problem over the next few days. At first I surmised that it must be related to heat as it was 100 above outside and every time I shut the bike off for a while the problem would be gone, at least for a while.

Long story short, I ran in a lot of rain on US 212 between Crow Agency and Broadus, Mont. The engine was cool at that point due to the rain. The throttle problem was the worst at this point. Going through Ashland, I literally had to roll on then coast, then roll on again as the missing at very light throttle was intolerable.

I got to Lead and met BvBob and Nate, another master HD mechanic. The three of us surmised that it was either the twist grip sensor or the TPS which is integrated into the sealed throttle body. Bob took the grip off and lightly pulled on the twist grip sensor and it literally fell out in his hand. I have some 12" "apes" on the bike. The extension connector was still in the bars and the connector on the twist grip sensor was broken. Another guy ran over to Rapid City and picked up a CVO twist grip sensor which has no extension but has longer wires. Nate and Bob installed it and the throttle problem I had is gone.

The dealer from whom I purchased the bike in 2008 had installed the extension cable and the bars. We figure everything was way too tight and that the extension wasn't quite long enough. I should add that the bike has had a "loping" problem when coasting in gear at low RPM up to a stop sign for a long time. This is also gone now.

Maybe some of you are familiar with these symptoms as they pertain to a bad twist grip sensor. I figured I'd post this though just for everyone's information.
Clearview windshield
CP flat tops
R&R Stage 3 heads, .030 gasket, 82cc chambers
Trued, welded, and balanced crank by Hyperformance
TMan 590 cams
SE AC
HPI 54mm TB
Supermeg with open cap and 15 discs
TTS tune by BVBob

2003 Indian Scout Deluxe
Aspen White (got it for my wife)
S&S "SuperStock" 88"
12" apes
Scary fast!

Last edited by guydoc77; 08-12-2012 at 09:07 PM.
guydoc77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-12-2012, 11:47 PM   #2 (permalink)
IronButt

Topgeye wants to know Dino or Syn?
I just had 12" Wild Ones Chubbys put on my 2012 RKC. Since I wanted ss braided brake and clutch cables they let me order the bars and all from the parts department instead of the service department ordering all HD parts. The one thing they told me was to NOT order the wire extensions for the throttle sensor. They said they had nothing but problems with them and because I was putting on the chubbys and all the wire would be in the bar, there was enough OEM wire to hook it up without using any extensions. So for so good.
Topgeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 08:54 PM   #3 (permalink)
Sniper

gunnysgt wants to know Dino or Syn?
I've used the NAMZ wire extensions on my 2010 fLHX and 2012 FLHX with 12.5 inch chubbys. No problems what so ever. Like any wiring job I suspect it was the install. If the wire extensions are installed properly and connections secure I can see no reason why not to use them. The non CVO TPS wires have a small green connector that is somewhat fragile. If care is taken on the install, it can be used with no issues. I put a piece of shrink tube over the connector before stringin it thru the bars.
Best Freakin Harley I Ever Owned

Last edited by gunnysgt; 08-13-2012 at 08:57 PM.
gunnysgt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 10:07 PM   #4 (permalink)
IronButt

gb1500 wants to know Dino or Syn?
sounds complicated....il keep my cables and my cv....forever!!
gb1500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 08:37 AM   #5 (permalink)
IronButt

gunny, I think you're right. We all concluded that, for one thing, the extension wasn't long enough which wound up with it under a lot of tension while it was installed. I'm just glad it didn't quit altogether in the middle of nowhere.
Clearview windshield
CP flat tops
TMan 590 cams
SE AC
HPI 54mm TB
TTS tune by BVBob

2003 Indian Scout Deluxe
S&S "SuperStock" 88"
12" apes
Scary fast!
Old 08-14-2012, 07:01 PM   #6 (permalink)
Sniper

gunnysgt wants to know Dino or Syn?
Yea I've heard some horror stories about stringin those wires, particularly about that little green monster. I thought about switching to the CVO wire unit on the '12 but just took my time doing all the wires, pulled them thru carefully and used plenty of silicon slippy juice. I think my extension wires were 12" and plenty long.
Best Freakin Harley I Ever Owned
gunnysgt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 07:29 AM   #7 (permalink)
IronButt

Yup. The extension that had been originally installed had the flimsy green connector on the end. And it was broken when it fell out into Bob's hand.
Clearview windshield
CP flat tops
TMan 590 cams
SE AC
HPI 54mm TB
TTS tune by BVBob

2003 Indian Scout Deluxe
S&S "SuperStock" 88"
12" apes
Scary fast!
Old 08-15-2012, 08:52 AM   #8 (permalink)
Axe Man

BVBOB wants to know Dino or Syn?
Dont forget, you still need to send a coat hanger to the laundry mat next door to replace the one you stole to fish the new wires through, lol
553 bd cams
Power duals with re-core cvo
Welded crank

1982 FXRS
new paint
new tires
new brakes
new clutch
Soon to be back on the road

Being honest may not make you a lot of friends but it will always make you the right ones.
BVBOB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 03:58 PM   #9 (permalink)
IronButt

Already did that didn't you Bob?

Thanks for jumping in and taking it apart. i really didn't expect that, just wanted an idea from you and Nate as to what you thought the problem was.

Also, thanks for a memorable trip. I really had fun. And you even got me to sing karaoke. Now that is an accomplishment. Never ever sang karaoke before. Did Jason tell you? We're already scheming for next year.
Clearview windshield
CP flat tops
TMan 590 cams
SE AC
HPI 54mm TB
TTS tune by BVBob

2003 Indian Scout Deluxe
S&S "SuperStock" 88"
12" apes
Scary fast!
Old 08-22-2012, 04:29 PM   #10 (permalink)
Ironbutt

MilesToGo wants to know Dino or Syn?
I've been dealing with a similar problem with my 09 Street Glide. It's a very annoying problem to deal with. It seemed to get worse after my 107 build. Before that i thought maybe it was just a tuning issue, but i've had it dyon'd twice since the build and went through several tweaks in the tuning and it still does it. The bike runs great excect for the light throttle scenario you described. Last week, after reading your thread, i replaced the entire throttle grip as you did. It didn't help. After re-reading your post, you said it could also be the throttle position sensor (TPS). I don't know anything about the TPS. I would like some advice from anyone subscribed to this thread. Should i replace the TPS? What's involved with replacing it?
2003 Heritage Softail Classic
- 95ci, stage III heads, RB LSR exhaust, S&S 510 cams, 100hp 102tq
MilesToGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 06:44 PM   #11 (permalink)
Axe Man

BVBOB wants to know Dino or Syn?
Quote:
Originally Posted by MilesToGo View Post
I've been dealing with a similar problem with my 09 Street Glide. It's a very annoying problem to deal with. It seemed to get worse after my 107 build. Before that i thought maybe it was just a tuning issue, but i've had it dyon'd twice since the build and went through several tweaks in the tuning and it still does it. The bike runs great excect for the light throttle scenario you described. Last week, after reading your thread, i replaced the entire throttle grip as you did. It didn't help. After re-reading your post, you said it could also be the throttle position sensor (TPS). I don't know anything about the TPS. I would like some advice from anyone subscribed to this thread. Should i replace the TPS? What's involved with replacing it?
The tps is in the throttle body and is not serviced separately by the moco, not sure who's heads you have but some of the symptoms you describe can be caused by a very aggressively scavenging pipe along with large, slow moving ports. The pipe being the main culprit. The 54 cam is generally a very well mannered cam down low.
And Doc, I know you and Jason probably want to sing "I got you babe" as a duet but please let me know ahead of time so I can take a bathroom break.
553 bd cams
Power duals with re-core cvo
Welded crank

1982 FXRS
new paint
new tires
new brakes
new clutch
Soon to be back on the road

Being honest may not make you a lot of friends but it will always make you the right ones.
BVBOB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 11:48 PM   #12 (permalink)
IronButt

MilesToGo: I have had tolerable light throttle stuttering since I went 107" as well. The grip sensor did fix a lot of it but not all of it I see as I have ridden the bike more since changing the grip sensor. I attribute this to what Bob said, 2:1 pipe, associated reversion and longer overlap cams. It's very liveable I should add and not the same problem that was fixed with the grip sensor. That problem made the bike intermittently unrideable at the barely open throttle position. The current symptoms have been present since we built this motor, were worse before the grip sensor change, but do persist since the change. I will add that these symptoms are very tolerable.
Clearview windshield
CP flat tops
TMan 590 cams
SE AC
HPI 54mm TB
TTS tune by BVBob

2003 Indian Scout Deluxe
S&S "SuperStock" 88"
12" apes
Scary fast!
Old 08-23-2012, 02:29 AM   #13 (permalink)
IronButt

Bob: now you know Jason and I both hate that song. We would like to sing that Exile song "I Want to Touch You All Over" though. But we want to sing it to you, not to each other. So, no bathroom break. Sorry, that's just how it is.
Clearview windshield
CP flat tops
TMan 590 cams
SE AC
HPI 54mm TB
TTS tune by BVBob

2003 Indian Scout Deluxe
S&S "SuperStock" 88"
12" apes
Scary fast!
Old 08-23-2012, 03:51 PM   #14 (permalink)
Ironbutt

Quote:
Originally Posted by BVBOB View Post
The tps is in the throttle body and is not serviced separately by the moco, not sure who's heads you have but some of the symptoms you describe can be caused by a very aggressively scavenging pipe along with large, slow moving ports. The pipe being the main culprit. The 54 cam is generally a very well mannered cam down low.
And Doc, I know you and Jason probably want to sing "I got you babe" as a duet but please let me know ahead of time so I can take a bathroom break.
Found it's actually called the Throttle Control Acuator (TCA) on this bike. Also found out there is way i can test it's function using my TTS. Going to try that shortly. The heads were done by R&R. I really don't think it's anything to do with the heads since i had this problem before the build. The 107 build just made the problem more pronounced. I will report back with any findings.
Old 08-23-2012, 05:04 PM   #15 (permalink)
Ironbutt

I think i may have found the problem. I unplugged the electrical connector for the TCA and lubed it with some electric grease. Went for a short test run and could not duplicate the problem. Bike ran smooth even at light throttle. I'm thinking it may have just been a bad connection all along. I'll know for sure when i have time to take a long ride. To think i've been dealing with this for more than a year and all it took was 5 minutes and a little grease to fix it. Oh well, i'll be happy if it really is cured. Thanks to all for inputs.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement