Noise when pushing bike backwards in neutral : V-Twin Forum: Harley Davidson Forums
» Sponsors

» Insurance
Go Back   V-Twin Forum : Harley-Davidson Motorcycle Forums > General Discussion Forums > Harley-Davidson Touring
New User? Register Forgot Password

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-22-2012, 01:15 PM   #1 (permalink)
FNG :)

da-puhi wants to know Dino or Syn?
Noise when pushing bike backwards in neutral

I have a 2008 Road King with 13k miles and I started to get a noise whenever I roll the bike backwards in neutral. It sounds like it coming from the transmission cover area, but could be from somewhere else. It sounds like a a loose chain on a sprocket and only happen in reverse when the bike is cold or hot. Just got the bike back from the dealer who had it on a dyno to install a Super Tuner for another problem all together. Thanks for any help on this issue.
da-puhi is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-22-2012, 01:21 PM   #2 (permalink)
IronButt

RKC-Charlie wants to know Dino or Syn?
Is that when the engine is running, shut down or both?
Old 07-22-2012, 01:33 PM   #3 (permalink)

RKC-Charlie, I notice it when the bike isn't running, I really can't detect it when the bike is running because of the engine and exhaust noise. Thanks

Last edited by da-puhi; 07-22-2012 at 01:39 PM.
Old 07-22-2012, 04:03 PM   #4 (permalink)
IronButt

No Cents wants to know Dino or Syn?
Have you checked your rear brake pads...if they are bad they will make a sound like you are describing when you roll it backwards.
With 13K on the clock...it might be a good place to look.

Just my 2 cents...from No Cents

117" Darkhorse build...all smiles !!!

No Cents is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-22-2012, 04:07 PM   #5 (permalink)
Incredible

Fatb0y wants to know Dino or Syn?
Could be some grit in you primary area or pads going bad. Wouldn't hurt to check. If you don't find anything there just ride it and take all that apart this winter for a full maintenance routine.

Sent from my Motorcycle iPhone app
Fatb0y is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-22-2012, 05:23 PM   #6 (permalink)
IronButt

btsom wants to know Dino or Syn?
In neutral I don't think anything in the primary will be moving other than the front pulley and its bearing. So, there is that, rear brakes, belt squeak, and rear wheel bearings. If you have a lift or a friend has one, get it off the ground and rotate the rear wheel until you find the noise. If there is no noise there, check the front wheel.
btsom is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-22-2012, 06:43 PM   #7 (permalink)
IronButt

ron baumer wants to know Dino or Syn?
possibly the drive belt hitting the belt guard,my does it and yes it is adjusted correctly.

Ron
ron baumer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-22-2012, 08:16 PM   #8 (permalink)
Harley Ridin' Bow Hunter

Eddie Haskell wants to know Dino or Syn?
The inner primary bearing will spin in neutral as well, some last a long time and some not so much.
Old 07-22-2012, 08:30 PM   #9 (permalink)
IronButt

HDSG wants to know Dino or Syn?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fatb0y View Post
Could be some grit in you primary area or pads going bad. Wouldn't hurt to check. If you don't find anything there just ride it and take all that apart this winter for a full maintenance routine.

Sent from my Motorcycle iPhone app
"GRIT IN THE PRIMARY AREA" I need some more information on that............
HDSG is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-22-2012, 08:36 PM   #10 (permalink)
Lifetime Premium

DueceDog wants to know Dino or Syn?
My bike has done that for a few years. I could never find the source until just recently. I had the bike up on a jack working on something else and rolled the rear wheel backwards...and ah hah! there was that noise. It turned out to be the rear brake pad(s). They were low mileage at the time so I knew they were in good shape. I took a spray bottle and gave the rotor a little shot of water and rolled the wheel backwards. No noise When the water evaporated, the noise was back, only rolling backwards. So, I now just accept it as "normal, they all do that" lol

Vietnam Vet
PGR rider
DueceDog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-22-2012, 08:51 PM   #11 (permalink)
IronButt

Dan89FLSTC wants to know Dino or Syn?
The inner primary bearing will not be spinning when the engine is shut off and the bike is in neutral (when turning the rear wheel).

With the engine shut down and the clutch lever released (clutch engaged) the mainshaft cannot turn because it is mechanically linked to the engine (via the clutch), which is not turning.

The countershaft will turn, but not the mainshaft.

The inner primary bearing will spin when the engine is running and the bike is in neutral, it will stop spinning when you drop the bike into gear, and it will start spinning as the clutch is engaged and the bike starts moving.

The inner primary bearing will also spin when you push the bike while it is in gear.

Grit in primary...the primary drive is sealed, no grit getting in there, but grit in the secondary drive around the pulley could be, since that is just about the dirtiest area on the bike.

Best suggestion has already been made, get the rear wheel off the ground and listen while you rotate the rear wheel.

Last edited by Dan89FLSTC; 07-22-2012 at 08:53 PM.
Dan89FLSTC is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-22-2012, 10:26 PM   #12 (permalink)
IronButt

Dools103 wants to know Dino or Syn?
I wonder if we worry as much about noises coming from our spouses as we do our bikes, Just sayin
Dools103 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-22-2012, 10:53 PM   #13 (permalink)
HotRod

mmcdermott wants to know Dino or Syn?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dools103 View Post
I wonder if we worry as much about noises coming from our spouses as we do our bikes, Just sayin
When there are noises from my bike, there is a logical explanation as to why. As far as my OL, logic doesn't always apply.
mmcdermott is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-22-2012, 10:56 PM   #14 (permalink)
Harley Ridin' Bow Hunter

Eddie Haskell wants to know Dino or Syn?
disregard my advice

Last edited by Eddie Haskell; 07-23-2012 at 07:26 AM.
Eddie Haskell is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-23-2012, 01:04 AM   #15 (permalink)

Thanks everyone for the advise, I'll lift the bike tomorrow and will confirm if it's the belt or brake pads.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the V-Twin Forum : Harley-Davidson Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. WE WILL SEND A CONFIRMATION EMAIL TO THE ADDRESS YOU PROVIDE. If the email address is NOT VALID, you will not be given access to the system!
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.