Adding a amp : V-Twin Forum: Harley Davidson Forums
» Sponsors

» Insurance
Go Back   V-Twin Forum : Harley-Davidson Motorcycle Forums > General Discussion Forums > Harley-Davidson Touring
New User? Register Forgot Password

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-30-2012, 07:12 AM   #1 (permalink)
Seasoned Rider

maimisteve wants to know Dino or Syn?
Adding a amp

I've read a lot of posts about people adding a small amp to their radio under the fairing.What I haven't seen is how to do it I have a 2012 ultra limited that I have added J&M speakers to and would like to add a amp.Most people it seems have added a 2ch amp but never say if it is just powering the front speakers and the radio is powering the rears.The thing is no one goes in to detail about how everything is hooked up.It would be nice to know before I invest in a 2ch amp if I need a 4ch amp.Even info such as where is the amp wired into,what size power wire,is wired direct to the battery or can all connections be made under the fairing.Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated .Thanks
maimisteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-30-2012, 07:39 AM   #2 (permalink)
IronButt

streetglidekirk wants to know Dino or Syn?
The installation directions should come with the amp. However, I will tell you how I installed mine. I only have the fairing speakers so I only needed a 2 channel amp. But, I installed a 4 channel amp and bridged it from 4 to 2 channels for more power to the speakers. Keep in mind that if you do this, you need speakers that will handle the power. Now......You will need to run a fused main power wire from the amp directly to the to the battery. A size 8awg should be sufficient. Run the same size or bigger for a ground wire. I connected mine to a bolt on the neck of the frame. You will need a "remote" wire which basically turns the amp on when the ignition switch on the bike is on. I found a female wire end close to my head light harness that I was able to use for this. I have read where some companies have wiring harness plugs for simple "plug and play" installation. Meaning if you get one of these, you wont have to hassle with wires. Iron Cross Audio has a good selection of audio stuff for HD. If you want the same power to the rear speakers as you want in the front speakers, you will need a 4 ch amp. I used velcro and wire to mount my amp on top of my stereo head unit........ Good luck.
Bigboyz street port heads
Doherty Machine Power Pacc Air Breather
Kuryakyn Crusher True Duals
TTS Mastertune
Power Commander V
100 hp 108 tq
L.A. Choppers lowering
Arnott Aldan Air Ride 13" Shocks
Arc Audio KS 125.4 amp
DLS UP6i 6-1/2 speakers
streetglidekirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2012, 08:44 AM   #3 (permalink)
IronButt

ABFJV wants to know Dino or Syn?
I just installed a Hawg Wired 2 channel amp and component speakers on my SG because I only have 2 speakers. My amp and speakers rock. I was impressed with their products and their service. It isn't cheap but with a 12 Ultra Limited I don't think you'd be looking to go cheap. Call Hawg Wired and ask for Justin; I bought mine used on eBay and he was very willing to talk to me about installing and any tweaks I may need to make. Just my opinion, I also looked at ARC which I think is a very good product but the Hawg Wired system happened to become available. They can hear me now.
ABFJV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 12:59 AM   #4 (permalink)
IronButt

0ldhippie wants to know Dino or Syn?
I would recommend a 4 channel amp like the rockford fosgate pbr300x4. It is cheap. Small and easily will fit under the fairing. Works well with the speaker outs from the radio (just run your speaker wires through the amp). Doesn't need a "remote" wire, so it just needs a 8 gauge power and ground. Lots of guys just vecro them to the top of the radio. I made mounts that mount to the radio mounting screws for my jl xd400/4 that fits but would be harder to mate with the stock hk head unit.
Old 07-02-2012, 06:31 AM   #5 (permalink)
IronButt

Inspector 12 wants to know Dino or Syn?
Quote:
Originally Posted by maimisteve View Post
I've read a lot of posts about people adding a small amp to their radio under the fairing.What I haven't seen is how to do it I have a 2012 ultra limited that I have added J&M speakers to and would like to add a amp.Most people it seems have added a 2ch amp but never say if it is just powering the front speakers and the radio is powering the rears.The thing is no one goes in to detail about how everything is hooked up.It would be nice to know before I invest in a 2ch amp if I need a 4ch amp.Even info such as where is the amp wired into,what size power wire,is wired direct to the battery or can all connections be made under the fairing.Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated .Thanks
When I did mine I bought the amp from J&M. It was pre wired so it was just plug and play. The bracket that came with the amp bolted in on the stock radio bolts. Two years later really like the product.

06 Street Bob, SE 120R, VH Propipe HO, SERT, 139.92 hp, 133.70 tq.
Inspector 12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 06:08 PM   #6 (permalink)
FNG :)

pophh wants to know Dino or Syn?
amp

I have a 07 ultra just installed a bazooka 4 ch. amp totally plug and play hardest part was taking off fairing. added kicker 2 ohm speakers front and back.sound rocks got speakers from ebay BK rider for half the price of anyone.
pophh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 08:03 PM   #7 (permalink)
IronButt

I would also suggest that you get a good set of 6-1/2" speakers and ditch the stock 5-1/4".
I tried several sets of 5-1/4" in different brands. So much better sound from the 6-1/2" speakers.
TTS Mastertune
Power Commander V
100 hp 108 tq
L.A. Choppers lowering
Arc Audio KS 125.4 amp
DLS UP6i 6-1/2 speakers
Old 07-02-2012, 09:27 PM   #8 (permalink)
Seasoned Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by 0ldhippie View Post
I would recommend a 4 channel amp like the rockford fosgate pbr300x4. It is cheap. Small and easily will fit under the fairing. Works well with the speaker outs from the radio (just run your speaker wires through the amp). Doesn't need a "remote" wire, so it just needs a 8 gauge power and ground. Lots of guys just vecro them to the top of the radio. I made mounts that mount to the radio mounting screws for my jl xd400/4 that fits but would be harder to mate with the stock hk head unit.
That is a really great amp good price too how ever it's only 4ohm stable so the new seven & a quarter inch and five & a quarter J&M 2ohm speakers I just bought would become useless, I need a amp like that, but that can handle 2ohm loads
Old 07-02-2012, 09:29 PM   #9 (permalink)
Seasoned Rider

Already have, J&M 7 & a quarter front and 5 & a quarter J&M rears
Old 07-02-2012, 09:34 PM   #10 (permalink)
Seasoned Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by pophh View Post
I have a 07 ultra just installed a bazooka 4 ch. amp totally plug and play hardest part was taking off fairing. added kicker 2 ohm speakers front and back.sound rocks got speakers from ebay BK rider for half the price of anyone.
When you installed the amp did you have to relocate the CB and if you did how did you do that. I'm not looking to replace the head unit or CB at all
Old 07-03-2012, 04:40 PM   #11 (permalink)
IronButt

You can use the 2 ohm speakers with the 4 ohm amp.
TTS Mastertune
Power Commander V
100 hp 108 tq
L.A. Choppers lowering
Arc Audio KS 125.4 amp
DLS UP6i 6-1/2 speakers
Old 07-03-2012, 07:54 PM   #12 (permalink)
IronButt

Radio Guy wants to know Dino or Syn?
Quote:
Originally Posted by streetglidekirk View Post
You can use the 2 ohm speakers with the 4 ohm amp.
Not necessarily.

Unless the Amp manufacture states that you can use 2 ohm speakers with a 4 ohm amp I would recommend against it. It may work... And it may work very well provided it is a very robust amp with lots of headroom however, if not, you could end up replacing the amp. The amp will expect to "see" a 4 ohm impedance load. If you "show" it a 2 ohm load it (the amp) will have to work harder.

Think of it this way...

You have a closed water system. The pump (amp) is designed to keep the pressure in the system at 50psi. Using 1/2 inch pipe (4 ohm speaker) the pump (amp) works quite comfortably at 75% of its total capability to maintain 50 psi. Now, change the 1/2 inch pipe (4 ohm speaker) to a 1 inch pipe (2 ohm speaker - bigger pipe, less resistance, less pressure) now the pump (amp) has to work harder to maintain 50psi in the system and will probably exceed its pumping ability and will burn out faster.

I realize that it is not an exact analogy but I hope you get the idea. If I've totally confused you, just ask and I will try to explain another way.

Cheers

Sent from my Motorcycle iPad app
Radio Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 07:57 AM   #13 (permalink)
IronButt

2000FiveOh wants to know where he is and how he got here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Radio Guy View Post
Not necessarily.

Unless the Amp manufacture states that you can use 2 ohm speakers with a 4 ohm amp I would recommend against it. It may work... And it may work very well provided it is a very robust amp with lots of headroom however, if not, you could end up replacing the amp. The amp will expect to "see" a 4 ohm impedance load. If you "show" it a 2 ohm load it (the amp) will have to work harder.

Think of it this way...

You have a closed water system. The pump (amp) is designed to keep the pressure in the system at 50psi. Using 1/2 inch pipe (4 ohm speaker) the pump (amp) works quite comfortably at 75% of its total capability to maintain 50 psi. Now, change the 1/2 inch pipe (4 ohm speaker) to a 1 inch pipe (2 ohm speaker - bigger pipe, less resistance, less pressure) now the pump (amp) has to work harder to maintain 50psi in the system and will probably exceed its pumping ability and will burn out faster.

I realize that it is not an exact analogy but I hope you get the idea. If I've totally confused you, just ask and I will try to explain another way.

Cheers

Sent from my Motorcycle iPad app
The RF amp is 2 ohm stable. Great little amp.
2000 Road King, 96", K&N AC, Andrews 26G cams, Pre-EPA SE Slip Ons, 3:37 Primary gearing, EFI to carb, 105,000 and still rolling
2000FiveOh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 08:07 PM   #14 (permalink)
Seasoned Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2000FiveOh View Post
The RF amp is 2 ohm stable. Great little amp.
Who makes the RF amp and is it 2 or 4 channel
Old 07-09-2012, 08:10 PM   #15 (permalink)
Seasoned Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by streetglidekirk View Post
I would also suggest that you get a good set of 6-1/2" speakers and ditch the stock 5-1/4".
I tried several sets of 5-1/4" in different brands. So much better sound from the 6-1/2" speakers.
Which 6-1/2 speakers did you use ,I have the J&M 7-1/4 in the fairing and J&M 5-1/4 in the rear and they both suck so unless the 6-1/2 your talking about are any better I'm going with the hogtunes 5-1/4's all the way around.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement