Poor man's Stage 1? - Page 2 : V-Twin Forum: Harley Davidson Forums
» Sponsors

» Insurance
Go Back   V-Twin Forum : Harley-Davidson Motorcycle Forums > General Discussion Forums > Harley-Davidson Touring
New User? Register Forgot Password

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-06-2012, 11:34 AM   #16 (permalink)
IronButt

luvmy09 wants to know Dino or Syn?
The dyno chart says it all, if you are not going to spend much time above 4000 rpm, you might as well spend your money on a chrome do-dad. Now mufflers, that's a whole different story.
Advertisement

Old 12-06-2012, 02:59 PM   #17 (permalink)

2010hdultra wants to know Dino or Syn?
Correct me if im incorrect but given the fact that the new ecm uses a closed loop air mixture, is it safe to assume more air in would mean more fuel in? I mean if its set to a 14.7 to 1 afr then if you give it more air the ecm should feed it more fuel. Now being that it is lean from moco any how its still gonna be lean if you add more air. Best thing to do i a dyno tune to get the fuel mix where its best performance vs best emissions. I just added a stage 1intake, slipons and fl-xieds and my 103 is running just fine. Didnt replace the cats cuz im not wanting a drag mike. Just a lil better then stock.
2010hdultra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 09:25 AM   #18 (permalink)
IronButt

I think the key is in the fact that the 96 is a torque motor. It has a longer stroke and a smaller bore. Therefore, it does not like a lot of rpm like the old evo's. Again, look at the dyno chart above, it makes the most torque at around 3000 rpm. Which for me is perfect because that is where my tach sits 90% of the time I am riding.
Old 12-07-2012, 11:49 AM   #19 (permalink)
IronButt

RogerDodger wants to know Dino or Syn?
OK, since this thread has been resurrected I'll jump back in.
First, the 96" version of the Twin Cam is but one of the latest in a very long line of under square H-D motors.
Second: Throttle response is never represented on a dyno sheet. If you open up the air flow with a less restrictive air filter and/or exhaust you will experience improved throttle response. (Which answers luvmy09's original question: is there any benefit, etc.)
RogerDodger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 10:39 AM   #20 (permalink)
IronButt

That's true but I think a lot of guys look at those tiny dyno charts in the SE wish book and assume that they need to spend $100+ on thier air cleaner when actually most of the gain comes from the muffler change.
Old 12-09-2012, 11:04 AM   #21 (permalink)
IronButt

RogerDodger wants to know Dino or Syn?
Quote:
Originally Posted by luvmy09 View Post
That's true but I think a lot of guys look at those tiny dyno charts in the SE wish book and assume that they need to spend $100+ on thier air cleaner when actually most of the gain comes from the muffler change.

OK man, whatever you say. Never heard that 'most of the gain comes from the muffler change' thing before.
Every time I've ever changed only mufflers my bikes got louder, not faster. Wasn't 'til I also changed the air cleaner and re-tuned that I realized the full potential of stock (and modified) motors.
RogerDodger is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement