Right Side Flag Mount? : V-Twin Forum: Harley Davidson Forums
» Sponsors

» Insurance
Go Back   V-Twin Forum : Harley-Davidson Motorcycle Forums > General Discussion Forums > Harley-Davidson Touring
New User? Register Forgot Password

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-17-2012, 03:24 AM   #1 (permalink)
IronButt

SSTuner wants to know Dino or Syn?
Right Side Flag Mount?

I want to mount an Pole/American flag on the right side of my 2012 SG thru the present capped hole for the upcoming Rolling Thunder Ride. Is there a kit or a mount available to do this?
SOLD - 2003 Harley Davidson 100th Anniversary Two-Tone V-Rod
SSTuner is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-17-2012, 09:30 AM   #2 (permalink)
I'm Your Huckleberry

Mr Cujo wants to know Dino or Syn?
Cool idea...
I'm sure someone has a one-off custom for their bike, but I've never seen one in a catalog or anything.
Time to get the drawing paper out....

The power of accurate observation is often called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

Politically Incorrect, Morally Challenged

Cujo's Blog- CLICKY

-----------------------------
'07 Ultra -> Covington, Ga.
Samuel L. Jackson fixed my bike.
Chuck Norris in the front cylinder, Jack Bauer in the back cylinder, Tommy Lee Jones in the tranny.
You should quit now. Your mods suck.
Mr Cujo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-17-2012, 11:09 AM   #3 (permalink)
IronButt

On the left side where the current antenna mounts there is a tab welded on the support for the bags, but on the right side none is present. If there was a tab on the right support it would make it much simpler.
Old 05-22-2012, 06:51 AM   #4 (permalink)
FNG :)

Lyfer wants to know Dino or Syn?
I'm not the flag police, but I believe the proper way to display an American flag (w/o another flag) on your scooter is to have it in the center. If your flying another flag (pow, ETC.) the American flag should be on the right. Just sayin'
Lyfer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-22-2012, 07:50 AM   #5 (permalink)
IronButt

Sarge7 wants to know Dino or Syn?
American Legion web site has a store where you can find what your looking for - and it also has tips on the proper ways to display flags on a bike.
Sarge7 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-22-2012, 08:05 AM   #6 (permalink)
IronButt

Lyfer and Sarge7, thank you for pointing out the proper way to display our American Flag.

I did find this: http://www.newlondonmotorcycleclub.c...Guidelines.pdf

Thanks again.
Old 05-22-2012, 07:38 PM   #7 (permalink)
Ibc
IronButt

Ibc wants to know Dino or Syn?
Check this http://emblem.legion.org/BIKE-FLAG-M...tinfo/800.333/
It's on the American Legion Riders Flag and Emblem site.
Old 06-19-2012, 06:57 PM   #8 (permalink)
IronButt

89Road_Rumbler wants to know Dino or Syn?
So I ride an FXR, i said self, Why dont you have a flag on your bike? After some....OK.....quick contemplating I said why not. After what I saw this past Memorial Day, locally, and reading this thread I said "I'm getting one!"

It started this past Memorial Day, NOT weekend, but Monday. Me and the wife took a quick ride to a local watering hole in central jersey. Figured some rides would be there and a few others. Well we were right, a few rides HEADING HOME FROM DA' SHORE, planning every turn of their trip back, were there, along with a full bar and restaurant of people. Now being Memorial Day I threw the P.O.W wrap on the head, show some support! You know, only ONE other guy was wearing anything, a T-shirt. Not saying everyone has to be painted in red, white, and blue, but really, on memorial day itself? Nothing?

No I haven't served. And I don't support the Govs every decision, but I'd like to show support for those from the past and present who have served, and thank you to those people.

Now I proudly display the American Flag on my scoot!

I do have problems. I have to mount it to the right, not center, due to the type of mount. Etiqutte says center for single flag. It also doesn't "wave " like it should. Its not mounted on the back of a touring rack, it's on my sissy bar. Turbulance from my own body makes sort of a weird "vortex" behind me which the flag is caught up in. It flaps all over! Now I see why most flags are mounted on baggers. Is it more disrespectful to actually have it there than not?

Sorry for the long winded post, but thought the story behind the action was worth it. So what do you guys think? Leave it and let it fly on the FXR or retire it?
89Road_Rumbler is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-21-2012, 08:20 AM   #9 (permalink)
Seasoned Rider

scarpenter wants to know Dino or Syn?
89Road Rumbler - I am a Vietnam Vet and have a son serving with the 3rd Armored Cav who has deployed to both Iraq and Afghanistan; he is in the infantry. I fly the American flag and either a Support the Troops or an Army flag on my bike, but it is a 2005 FLHT. I understand your quandry; BUT, I think the important thing is that you are flying the Flag. Yeah, it should be in the center, but you do what you can. I have seen the flag displayed incorrectly in buildings and even during parades. Just fly the thing; honor the country; honor the troops. You don't need to agree with the politicians; as very few people do!
scarpenter is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-21-2012, 07:19 PM   #10 (permalink)
IronButt

89Road_Rumbler wants to know Dino or Syn?
Quote:
Originally Posted by scarpenter View Post
89Road Rumbler - I am a Vietnam Vet and have a son serving with the 3rd Armored Cav who has deployed to both Iraq and Afghanistan; he is in the infantry. I fly the American flag and either a Support the Troops or an Army flag on my bike, but it is a 2005 FLHT. I understand your quandry; BUT, I think the important thing is that you are flying the Flag. Yeah, it should be in the center, but you do what you can. I have seen the flag displayed incorrectly in buildings and even during parades. Just fly the thing; honor the country; honor the troops. You don't need to agree with the politicians; as very few people do!
Thank you.

As for the flag, it stayed. It's going to stay, F' it. It means more to be there then not.
89Road_Rumbler is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-21-2012, 07:29 PM   #11 (permalink)
IronButt

rscalzo wants to know Dino or Syn?
Automobile and Motorcycle Flag Display Guidelines for Non-Military Vehicles

No other flag should be flown higher than the Flag of the United States of America.

No other flag should be noticeably larger than the Flag of the United States of America. The U.S. Flag is mounted on its own right as the vehicle is moving forward, EXCEPT when it is mounted as follows …

A single U.S. Flag mounted on the roof of an automobile or a truck, or on the rear fender or “bumper” of a motorcycle, CAN be mounted in the center of the vehicle OR it can be mounted on the right side (passenger side) of the vehicle.
rscalzo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-24-2012, 07:26 PM   #12 (permalink)
Seasoned Rider

Bigfoot Ultra wants to know Dino or Syn?
Does anyone know off a make of flag that will withstand sustained highway speeds? Most I've looked at say not to exceed 40 mph.
Old 11-04-2012, 03:31 PM   #13 (permalink)
FNG :)

CVMA-TOP wants to know Dino or Syn?
Street Glide Flag MOunt

I got this flag mount from a friend of mine who used to make them. He might be interested in making more if there is a demand.

I have a '12 SG and the flag mount screws into stock holes on the backrest pad using the stock screws.

It is as solid as it can get but I have not run it at highway speeds. I think it would hold.

I use a standard aluminum flag pole but run a 1/2 in PCV up inside the pole for stability. Prevents the flag pole from breaking.

Let me know if you are interested.

Please spread the word, I am sure there are lots of guys who would like to mount a flag on a SG and this is the simplest, cleanest, easiet you will find.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	FM-2.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	39.7 KB
ID:	74668   Click image for larger version

Name:	FM-1.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	42.6 KB
ID:	74669   Click image for larger version

Name:	FM-3.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	40.7 KB
ID:	74670   Click image for larger version

Name:	FM-4.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	42.6 KB
ID:	74671   Click image for larger version

Name:	FM-5.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	42.8 KB
ID:	74672  

CVMA-TOP is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the V-Twin Forum : Harley-Davidson Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. WE WILL SEND A CONFIRMATION EMAIL TO THE ADDRESS YOU PROVIDE. If the email address is NOT VALID, you will not be given access to the system!
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.