Screaming Eagle Race Tuner : V-Twin Forum: Harley Davidson Forums
» Sponsors

» Insurance
Go Back   V-Twin Forum : Harley-Davidson Motorcycle Forums > General Discussion Forums > Harley-Davidson Touring
New User? Register Forgot Password

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-22-2012, 10:49 AM   #1 (permalink)
FNG :)

NotEnough wants to know Dino or Syn?
Screaming Eagle Race Tuner

I have 08 RG and and aquired a Screaming Eagle Race Tuner. If I put this on my bike will it help fix the throttle lag that most 08 toruing bikes have?

I know it will not stop the high RPM's at some starts that you have to re-program the ecm, but am wanting to get better throttle response.

Also thinking of S&S 570 cams with D&D Fatcat....

Thanks for opinions in advance.....
NotEnough is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-22-2012, 12:06 PM   #2 (permalink)
Seasoned Rider

skydude426 wants to know Dino or Syn?
If the race tuner has been on on other bike already then it will only work with that ECM. Once connected to an ECM they are mated for life.

Sent from my Motorcycle iPhone app
skydude426 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 12:24 PM   #3 (permalink)
Seasoned Rider

aviscomi wants to know Dino or Syn?
Quote:
Originally Posted by skydude426 View Post
If the race tuner has been on on other bike already then it will only work with that ECM. Once connected to an ECM they are mated for life.

Sent from my Motorcycle iPhone app
+1...besides, you will still have to use the Smart Tune feature or get the bike dynoed inorder to smooth out the rough spots.
4-SALE 2012 StreetGlide Tequila Sunrise/HD Orange-Procharged SE 120R Crate Motor, SE Plates & VPC, SE Pro Tuner, Dragula 2/1 Exhaust, Legends Air Ride Suspension, Dakota Digital Gauges, UltraCool Oil Cooler, Progressive MonoTube Front Suspension-2", HD Stretched Bags, Coastal Moto 21" Genesis Front Wheel
2010 StreetGlide Scarlet Red-Rinehart Extreme True Duals, ThunderMax, FM SE Stage 1 A/C
2002 Ducati Monster 620 -Micron Exhaust
http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f207/aviscomi/MAG.png[/IMG]
aviscomi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 03:42 PM   #4 (permalink)

It is brand new, never mated. That was the one thing I made sure. Thanks
Old 03-22-2012, 04:38 PM   #5 (permalink)
IronButt

707eric wants to know Dino or Syn?
Quote:
Originally Posted by NotEnough View Post
If I put this on my bike will it help fix the throttle lag that most 08 toruing bikes have?

I know it will not stop the high RPM's at some starts that you have to re-program the ecm, but am wanting to get better throttle response.
The SERT doesn't stay on your bike it reprograms your ECM. It's not something you just plug and it will make something better. You will either need to know what you are doing or pay a professional tuner to tune your bike using your SERT.

A good dyno tuner usually cost in the $400-$500 range (in my area). Spend the money and have it done right and you will be amazed at how different your bike acts.

If you are looking at doing a new cam and exhaust I would hold off in doing the SERT. If you go and get it tuned then turn around add the cam and exhaust you will need to then have the bike tuned again costing you another 400-500.

Last edited by 707eric; 03-22-2012 at 04:41 PM.
707eric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 04:55 PM   #6 (permalink)
IronButt

1Canuck wants to know Dino or Syn?
Quote:
Originally Posted by NotEnough View Post
I have 08 RG and and aquired a Screaming Eagle Race Tuner. If I put this on my bike will it help fix the throttle lag that most 08 toruing bikes have?

Also thinking of S&S 570 cams with D&D Fatcat....

Thanks for opinions in advance.....
short answer = yes
as stated you will need to do data runs, smart tune, until you get to that point.
1Canuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 05:53 PM   #7 (permalink)
IronButt

oldog97 wants to know Dino or Syn?
Ahhhh, remember the days when all we needed to do was change your jets? Can you say CHA-CHING?
oldog97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 10:48 PM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 707eric View Post
The SERT doesn't stay on your bike it reprograms your ECM. It's not something you just plug and it will make something better. You will either need to know what you are doing or pay a professional tuner to tune your bike using your SERT.

A good dyno tuner usually cost in the $400-$500 range (in my area). Spend the money and have it done right and you will be amazed at how different your bike acts.

If you are looking at doing a new cam and exhaust I would hold off in doing the SERT. If you go and get it tuned then turn around add the cam and exhaust you will need to then have the bike tuned again costing you another 400-500.
Thanks for the advice, I am planning on doing cams an exhaust before I put tuner on. I'm just trying to figure out if this tuner will fix the throttle lag, or do I need to go with another tuner... Thankfully here have a friend with dyno and I pay about $200, $100 for each map of cylinder.... Thanks again
Old 03-23-2012, 10:49 PM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldog97 View Post
Ahhhh, remember the days when all we needed to do was change your jets? Can you say CHA-CHING?
Yea, this is first fuel injected bike I've had. I have plenty of jest and carbs laying around.... LOL
Old 03-24-2012, 06:36 AM   #10 (permalink)
Sniper

gunnysgt wants to know Dino or Syn?
Actually the SERT no longer exists as such. The past few years the tuner changed to the SEPST, Screamin Eagle Pro Super Tuner. Harley parted ways with that manufacturer who is the guy that sells the TTS Mastertune now. Some claim the new SEPST is better, others claim it doesn't have all the same capabilities as the SERT.
Old 03-24-2012, 12:20 PM   #11 (permalink)
IronButt

qtrracer wants to know Dino or Syn?
Quote:
Originally Posted by gunnysgt View Post
Actually the SERT no longer exists as such. The past few years the tuner changed to the SEPST, Screamin Eagle Pro Super Tuner. Harley parted ways with that manufacturer who is the guy that sells the TTS Mastertune now. Some claim the new SEPST is better, others claim it doesn't have all the same capabilities as the SERT.
I can tell you some things that I was told about the SEPST vs TTS. I was told that the TTS when adding timing will add what it is told to add, the SEPST will not do that as it has a built in non over rideable safety margin built in, so if a guy wants to add 5 degrees in a certain area SEPST might only add 2 or 3. Plus the SEPST starting maps are not ala carte. You have to start with the maps provided and tweak from there which can add alot of time and some tuners will only just spend x number of hours on your bike so if you have a sepst you won't get as complete a tune as you will with the TTS as they can pick a closer map to start with, change fueling and timing and get what they ask for without having to go back and re do because the sepst didn't give them what they asked for. I have a sepst and I will be buying a TTS when I make my next change to my engine when having it re-tuned. This is all info that I have gleaned from tuning guys not factual hands on info so I apologize if I am incorrect in what I have shared on here. Oh and paying more than 300 for a tune is ridiculous, IMHO.

Last edited by qtrracer; 03-24-2012 at 12:25 PM.
qtrracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 05:30 PM   #12 (permalink)
Sniper

I considered switching my SEPST over to a TTS but an additional $425 for the TTS after the $462 for the SEPST is a hard pill to swallow. Secondly you can either attempt to have your ECM flashed back to stock specs before installing the TTS or maybe you will be lucky enough that the TTS can take what the SEPST did and correct it assuming there is no whacky specs dialed in that dont convert. Frankly I'm considering getting a PCV again and starting with a Fuelmoto map.
Old 03-24-2012, 06:30 PM   #13 (permalink)
IronButt

Kool-Aid wants to know Dino or Syn?
Has anyone looked into the Cobra tuner? I have a 2012 SG with the 103 motor and only upgrades (for now) are: DnD fatcat exhaust, AN big sucker AC, but not sure about tuners yet...Cobra, Powervision, TTS, or ThunderMax? Local dealer leans towards SnS or Andrews cams instead of Woods, says the Woods are too noisy? Had my mind set on the Woods, but there is a "new" Andrews 551, that is supposed to be for baggers?
Kool-Aid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 06:54 PM   #14 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by qtrracer View Post
I can tell you some things that I was told about the SEPST vs TTS. I was told that the TTS when adding timing will add what it is told to add, the SEPST will not do that as it has a built in non over rideable safety margin built in, so if a guy wants to add 5 degrees in a certain area SEPST might only add 2 or 3. Plus the SEPST starting maps are not ala carte. You have to start with the maps provided and tweak from there which can add alot of time and some tuners will only just spend x number of hours on your bike so if you have a sepst you won't get as complete a tune as you will with the TTS as they can pick a closer map to start with, change fueling and timing and get what they ask for without having to go back and re do because the sepst didn't give them what they asked for. I have a sepst and I will be buying a TTS when I make my next change to my engine when having it re-tuned. This is all info that I have gleaned from tuning guys not factual hands on info so I apologize if I am incorrect in what I have shared on here. Oh and paying more than 300 for a tune is ridiculous, IMHO.
Yes i do have the SEPST, but I now guess i will look into the TTS.. I am just trying to get and idea/opinions on this and once again I thank you all for the advice and personal experience... Road bike today for about 200 miles and my brother I ride with has the ThunderMax tunner with 103, andrews 54 cams and a -4 gear on cam chain, also running D&D Borzilla. Has never been tuned and started acting up and my 96 with PC III was out running it.

In process now of tearing my bike down for paint, so that is why I am thinking of doing all this now....
Old 03-25-2012, 07:23 AM   #15 (permalink)
Sniper

Kool Aid your dealer speaks with a forked tongue. (old cowboy movie thing) about Wood cams. I have the Wood 555 cam and I have no more valve train noise than I did stock. There are some noisey cams out there, just avoid those with excessive lift and a flat profile that hammer the valves. I've heard some pretty noisy Zipper 575 cams.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement