Another air cleaner/exhaust question : V-Twin Forum: Harley Davidson Forums
» Sponsors

» Insurance
Go Back   V-Twin Forum : Harley-Davidson Motorcycle Forums > General Discussion Forums > Harley-Davidson Touring
New User? Register Forgot Password

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-13-2012, 05:35 PM   #1 (permalink)
IronButt

BikeMe wants to know Dino or Syn?
Another air cleaner/exhaust question

While my SG is up at the dealer getting it's inner-primary oil leak fixed, I thought it might be an opportunity to add some trinkets.

I spoke with the service guy about options for slip-ons, headers, intake, etc. He said if I wanted to just give it a bit more pep and response I could do an air cleaner and he could adjust the ECU to allow it, without adding a PC-V or SERT. That way I could take my time and decide what pipes to add at a later point...once I've had chance to listen to different ones.

He also said, if I'm not going to do a lot of engine work (cams, big bore, etc) the most bang for your buck is in the air cleaner. He even went on to say the stock headers weren't that bad...one of the biggest reasons to swap headers was to get rid of all that extra heat from the cat's.

What say the crowd? I've searched and haven't found anyone just doing an intake.

My goals are: throttle response stock is soft and easy, i'd like it to have a bit more snap, a bit more pep in the engine, stock pipes sound pretty good, wouldn't mind a little more volume, but I don't have to have it.

I'm not trying to catch my Aprilia with this Street Glide...

2007 Aprilia Tuono Factory - Red/Black
BikeMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-13-2012, 06:04 PM   #2 (permalink)
IronButt

streetglidekirk wants to know Dino or Syn?
Did he mention he would charge a nice figure to "adjust" the ECM? I would get a tuning device. Being a TTS, SERT, Power commander V or vision. That way, when you decide to change something else, you will have to capability to make the changes. If you pay for the "adjustment" now with just the air cleaner, then pay again for the "adjustment" for mufflers, you will have almost spent the cost of a tuning device, and still dont have a way of changing it again if you wanted to.(without taking it to the dealer). The best option is to get a tuning device and make ALL changes that you want at one time and get it tuned by a tuner that knows what he is doing..If you are like most, funds run tight and you can only do a little at a time...In that case, I would still get a device that you can make adjustments with and NOT just an ECM download..... But , thats just me.....
Bigboyz street port heads
Doherty Machine Power Pacc Air Breather
Kuryakyn Crusher True Duals
TTS Mastertune
Power Commander V
100 hp 108 tq
L.A. Choppers lowering
Arnott Aldan Air Ride 13" Shocks
Arc Audio KS 125.4 amp
DLS UP6i 6-1/2 speakers
streetglidekirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 06:05 PM   #3 (permalink)
FNG :)

RSnyder wants to know Dino or Syn?
I originally thought of going that way myself. After talking with a local ind. He stated that a fuel management system will allow additional fuel so the bike will not run so lean even adjusting the current ECU would not richen it up enough.. Ended up doing slip-ons header and fuel management system. the issue I was trying to correct was that my 09 Ultra was running to hot.

It is like riding a different no more heat issues.
RSnyder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 11:02 PM   #4 (permalink)
IronButt

Thanks guys. I didn't get a price, we just talked options. I'll have to call again and get a price for the intake, install, ECM calibration. I'd rather do the install myself, but it seems if you don't get a tuner, you need to have them adjust the ECM...probably not good to install air cleaner myself and then ride 40 miles to the dealer on teh stock ECM setting...

Old 03-13-2012, 11:58 PM   #5 (permalink)
Banned

LowRiderCustom wants to know Dino or Syn?
A half an hour ride to get the bike tuned won't hurt it one bit. But adding more airflow coming in won't do any good if you don't change the pipes to allow that extra air to flow out. Plus slip-ons really only make the bike louder, you need to change the whole exhaust system to get the full benefit of a high flow air intake. That is why installing headers on a car make it a lot faster, just adding louder mufflers doesn't do much.
LowRiderCustom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 12:14 AM   #6 (permalink)
IronButt

clayslayer wants to know Dino or Syn?
If you want your Harley to hold a candle to your Aprilla you're gonna have to do quite a bit to it

A stage 1 is a good place to start though. A K&N style air cleaner, drill out the cat (lot cheaper than new header) and a set of decent slip on's will make you a lot of money though.

I did slip ons...then the air cleaner....then bought a header from fuelmoto with a PC-V. Very glad I bought the PC-V. Then cams....It's a slippery slope. BUT I'm at where I wanted to be so in the end I'd say it's worth it.

With all the mods the Harley is fun (a lot of fun actually) but the "other" bike ahhnilates it.

2007 CBR600RR. Ohlins FGK forks and TTX36 shock, Zero Gravity DB windscreen, Woodcraft case covers, Vortex sliders and spools, Michelin PP2CT tires, Spongebob keychain. Does not leak oil. (sold...miss it dearly)

2008 Can-Am Outlander 650 Max XT. Bone stock. More fun than what ought to be legal.
clayslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 12:16 AM   #7 (permalink)
"Jane you ignorant slut!"

ceraaa42 wants to know Dino or Syn?
The "Proper" stage I is;
Pipes (lets say a Fat cat, about $700 I think, check ebay, V&H pro-pipe $475)
Air cleaner (about $150 mail order)
Tuner (about $220 - 250)

Do this right, don't cut corners or you just waste money. I'd get a full exhuast that gets rid of the cats that I like, a SE air cleaner and a "Vance and Hines Fuel pak" if you're not going any further in a engine build.

You can do this yourself, it's really not that hard and people here will help you. I'd be more than happy to get on the phone if you need help and many others will too. I also have a great resource if you use the Fuel pak, Jeffytune runs the thread here, and works for me.

Chris
SE255 cams
SE Air cleaner
SERT
Fatcat Quiet baffle
Bagger brace
Dyno report; http://www.v-twinforum.com/forums/dr...et-baffle.html

"Ya fargin' sneeky bastage!" Roman Troy Moronie

43 member
ceraaa42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 06:57 AM   #8 (permalink)
IronButt

So it looks like the general consensus is that the air cleaner alone doesn't get you much. THe dealer tried to tell me the stock headers "weren't that bad" and even though they had cats, actually flowed pretty well...

My original setup plan was:
-V&H Monster rounds
-fuel moto pc-v
-fuel moto header
-HD heavy breather (darn xpensive, but i love the look)

I think I'll keep saving for my setup and do it the right way...sounds like I'll be better off.

Old 03-14-2012, 07:28 AM   #9 (permalink)
XLIII

MegaGlide wants to know Dino or Syn?
The TTS is a bit more capable beast, IMHO. It reprograms your ECM, no add-ons to fail.

YMMV,

Sherlyn Popelka DUI, Aggravated Assault, Fugitive Arrest Reports HERE:
http://www.sherlynpopelka.net/
MegaGlide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 07:52 AM   #10 (permalink)
IronButt

streetglidekirk wants to know Dino or Syn?
Quote:
Originally Posted by BikeMe View Post
So it looks like the general consensus is that the air cleaner alone doesn't get you much. THe dealer tried to tell me the stock headers "weren't that bad" and even though they had cats, actually flowed pretty well...

-V&H Monster rounds
-fuel moto pc-v
-fuel moto header

I think I'll keep saving for my setup and do it the right way...sounds like I'll be better off.
I think all Harley dealers have a class, that they teach ALL employees.. Instuctor says, "repeat after me", "I wouldn't buy any aftermarket parts for your bike, Harley stuff is better"....I know they want to sell only their stuff, but sometimes you gotta step outside the box...
Sounds like you have a good plan in mind Bikeme...Enjoy the "new" bike you will have....
Bigboyz street port heads
Doherty Machine Power Pacc Air Breather
Kuryakyn Crusher True Duals
TTS Mastertune
Power Commander V
100 hp 108 tq
L.A. Choppers lowering
Arnott Aldan Air Ride 13" Shocks
Arc Audio KS 125.4 amp
DLS UP6i 6-1/2 speakers
streetglidekirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 11:28 AM   #11 (permalink)
"Jane you ignorant slut!"

ceraaa42 wants to know Dino or Syn?
Quote:

-V&H Monster rounds
-fuel moto pc-v
-fuel moto header

I LIKE IT!!!!

Do it right and you'll be happy and save money in the long run. Harley loves to do the $159 download, it's lean. The tuner is the way to go.

Even the Harley tuner is good in the hands of someone that knows how to set it up. But it is expensive. I think my race tuner was about $450 + $435 for a tune at Latus HD. They know how to tune, it runs like it did new and the kit I have is critical on tuning.

If you want to have a better ride power band at a reasonable cost, read my ride/dyno report.
SE255 cams
SE Air cleaner
SERT
Fatcat Quiet baffle
Bagger brace
Dyno report; http://www.v-twinforum.com/forums/dr...et-baffle.html

"Ya fargin' sneeky bastage!" Roman Troy Moronie

43 member

Last edited by ceraaa42; 03-14-2012 at 11:31 AM.
ceraaa42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 11:38 AM   #12 (permalink)
IronButt

Thanks guys - glad to know I'm on the right track. $159 for the HD download? Wow...I didn't bother calling my dealer to see how much they would charge. They have a sale this weekend - I think 17% off (not sure why the odd number) so I might have to buy the heavy breather and get prepared to buy all the other goodies.

Spending lots of $$ on the bike again, ugh. Just dropped a few hundred on the passenger grab rails, grab rail covers (what a rip, but they look great) and some electrical connectors for under the seat.

Old 03-14-2012, 04:09 PM   #13 (permalink)
IronButt

RogerDodger wants to know Dino or Syn?
I highly recommend you contact FuelMoto. THEY are your best Stage-1 bang for the buck, without a doubt. Google them and you'll find their 800 number and get some no-BS answers.
I'll bet they can even put some more zip in your Tuono.
RogerDodger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 04:53 PM   #14 (permalink)
Ironbutt

MilesToGo wants to know Dino or Syn?
Quote:

-V&H Monster rounds
-fuel moto pc-v
-fuel moto header

Dealer is correct on one thing. The stock headers do flow pretty well even with the cats. The main problem is the heat. If you want more "pep" as you say, then you need to do the full stage one. You won't notice any difference just changing the AC.
2003 Heritage Softail Classic
- 95ci, stage III heads, RB LSR exhaust, S&S 510 cams, 100hp 102tq
MilesToGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 06:08 PM   #15 (permalink)
Banned

LowRiderCustom wants to know Dino or Syn?
Quote:
Thanks guys - glad to know I'm on the right track. $159 for the HD download? Wow...I didn't bother calling my dealer to see how much they would charge. They have a sale this weekend - I think 17% off (not sure why the odd number) so I might have to buy the heavy breather and get prepared to buy all the other goodies.

Spending lots of $$ on the bike again, ugh. Just dropped a few hundred on the passenger grab rails, grab rail covers (what a rip, but they look great) and some electrical connectors for under the seat.
I have bought most of my OEM HD parts on ebay for a heavily discounted price. I always check there before I have to pay retail cost at the dealer. Something to keep in mind....
LowRiderCustom is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement