Another air cleaner/exhaust question - Page 3 : V-Twin Forum: Harley Davidson Forums
» Sponsors

» Insurance
Go Back   V-Twin Forum : Harley-Davidson Motorcycle Forums > General Discussion Forums > Harley-Davidson Touring
New User? Register Forgot Password

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-12-2012, 11:11 AM   #31 (permalink)
IronButt

0ldhippie wants to know Dino or Syn?
While the CAT does make heat and break up sound waves it doesn't restrict exhaust flow on a stock/near stock bike. I have not heard of a dyno test showing any gain removing the cat. If you open the intake with a A/C and/or the exhaust with slip-ons/header you need to get a tune/tuner.
Advertisement

Old 11-12-2012, 11:40 AM   #32 (permalink)
Seasoned Rider

mistert wants to know Dino or Syn?
Thanks Slick, I was afraid of the stock ECM not having the range capabilities...I'll go with a PC V or something on that order..did you remove the guts from the cat or change it out?
Thanks to you Old hippie, a couple of my buds are H-D techs and they said pretty much the same thing...change the slip-ons and be just fine, change the A/C and a tuner is needed. Just wondered if anybody tried to "short-cut" the tuner part...Oh well, what's another couple hundred...

Last edited by mistert; 11-12-2012 at 11:52 AM. Reason: add more info
mistert is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-12-2012, 11:49 AM   #33 (permalink)
IronButt

baggerman11 wants to know Dino or Syn?
get rid of the cats, it'll run cooler, give you more flow. get a tuner(power commander if you can afford it), set of slip ons, new air filter and you'll be fine. you'll have better performance and
bike will run like it's suppose too. they should be tuned that way from the factory instead of being delivered all leaned out and sounding like sewing machines. just my 2 cents worth
Old 11-12-2012, 02:08 PM   #34 (permalink)
Just a kid at heart

wydeglyde wants to know Dino or Syn?
The stock ECM will adjust for an air cleaner change, although it will maintain the target air mixture which everyone knows is quite lean. You can subsequently add slip ons and again the ECM will adjust.

If you want to richen it up a bit and you have plans for further mods down the road you should consider a tuner, but don't forget to look at the auto tuning systems which will require no dyno time.

Stay away from the H-D Download. Most people think it adds fuel, but this is incorrect; Harley cannot go beyond the mandated EPA levels. Instead the download removes timing to prevent pinging. Your bike feels much better because you probably added the download at the same time as the AC and slip-ons. If you did the download on a stock bike you would lose performance.

I have chased power on my last few bikes to the point where many other changes became necessary and the bike was actually less fun to ride (day to day). My 05 RG had easily over 50 dyno runs (more than one shop) and still didn't run the way it should have.

On my 2012 I am going to try and stick to the stock exhaust with an air cleaner and auto tuning fuel system.

12 Road Glide Custom
wydeglyde is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-12-2012, 02:35 PM   #35 (permalink)
IronButt

Slick03 H-D wants to know Dino or Syn?
Quote:
Originally Posted by mistert View Post
Thanks Slick, I was afraid of the stock ECM not having the range capabilities...I'll go with a PC V or something on that order..did you remove the guts from the cat or change it out?
Thanks to you Old hippie, a couple of my buds are H-D techs and they said pretty much the same thing...change the slip-ons and be just fine, change the A/C and a tuner is needed. Just wondered if anybody tried to "short-cut" the tuner part...Oh well, what's another couple hundred...

Yeah, the pipes you can get away with, once you change the air cleaner you've moved beyond the peramiters that the stock ecm can compensate for..
H-D Ventilator air cleaner Dyno by Doc/98hp & 107tq
CVO adjustable rear shocks
Leather C&C seat
Freedom 8" dark smoked windshield
Painted inner fairing
Streamliner boards/pegs
Nostalgic bag rails
10" Yaffe mini apes
Plus a lot more to come much to my wife's dismay

Slick03 H-D is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-12-2012, 02:37 PM   #36 (permalink)
merry old soul

Road King Cole is reading this now saying WTF is this? Road King Cole is reading this now saying WTF is this?
Really, the cat does not cause any exhaust restriction?

I just find that hard to believe...

rkc
Old 11-12-2012, 09:40 PM   #37 (permalink)
IronButt

Slick03 H-D wants to know Dino or Syn?
I'm with you on that one RKC..cant see it.
H-D Ventilator air cleaner Dyno by Doc/98hp & 107tq
CVO adjustable rear shocks
Leather C&C seat
Freedom 8" dark smoked windshield
Painted inner fairing
Streamliner boards/pegs
Nostalgic bag rails
10" Yaffe mini apes
Plus a lot more to come much to my wife's dismay

Slick03 H-D is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-12-2012, 10:19 PM   #38 (permalink)
IronButt

dortiz64 wants to know Dino or Syn?
air cleaner and slip on

my suggestion would be the following: skip the download, tuner etc...and go with a XIED for about $100 this little gadget lowers your AFR to 13.8 from stock 14.6 in lower speeds cruising (city traffic) when you need a little more fuel.....instead of getting a stage 1 air cleaner kit, buy you the stock fit K&N air filter for the stock air filter housing....and now get you a set of slip-ons. This is for the man on a budget..and will keep you from the lean situation...(which is probably a hyped up situation created by the dealers to scare you into buying tuners and over priced dyno....(don't ask me how i know). I am not suggesting defeating EPA smog devices but is not a secret that a simple cement coring bit about 12 inches long has been used to core thru the honeycombed construction of the catalytic converter....and to those who think it does not obstruct exhaust or increase temperatures I would suggest you remove your rear muffler and take a good look at them...the harley stock header is a good piece and if you do change this you will need a tuner and dyno to properly adjust the bike. Keep things simple and cheap....XIED, K&N stock fit replacement air filter, and slip-on.

2009 XR1200 - D&D exhaust, XIEDS, black diamond collection pegs, and grips. Luggage, sissy bar, Harley black LED headlight assembly, mini sport windshield
dortiz64 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-13-2012, 12:28 AM   #39 (permalink)
IronButt

tekman wants to know Dino or Syn?
if you're just doing stage 1 is it worth getting the auto tune with pc5?

Sent from my SCH-I535
tekman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-14-2012, 08:44 PM   #40 (permalink)
IronButt

dortiz64 wants to know Dino or Syn?
no

Quote:
Originally Posted by tekman View Post
if you're just doing stage 1 is it worth getting the auto tune with pc5?

Sent from my SCH-I535
I would not sink my hard earned money on that...if you have a late model EFI model. if you want to have peace of mind get the $159 download from your dealer, or the XIED. I have an XR1200 and I have the High flow air filter, and slip on exhaust and XIED, 10,000 miles and not a bit of a problem....i sank so much money on my SERT, DYNO and miscellaneous stuff on my Streetglide that i promised myself not to do that on any subsequent bike...but this is just my opinion. Read about the XIED...its low price and adds fuel to AFR when you need it in city traffic, cruising speeds etc....

2009 XR1200 - D&D exhaust, XIEDS, black diamond collection pegs, and grips. Luggage, sissy bar, Harley black LED headlight assembly, mini sport windshield
dortiz64 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-14-2012, 09:01 PM   #41 (permalink)
IronButt

tekman wants to know Dino or Syn?
I'm already getting the pcV so was wondering if I saw an auto-tune used for sale is it worth picking up.

Sent from my SCH-I535
tekman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-19-2012, 04:51 PM   #42 (permalink)
Banned

zackt wants to know Dino or Syn?
good options

I recently installed a TTS master tune, Bassani megaphones and a Arlen Ness big sucker. It made a big difference in throttle response and it sounds amazing. So that is an option I would recommend to any one interested in a stage 1. I got all my parts through a new site that is very helpful, great prices and and I got free shipping.http://www.uscycleonline.com
zackt is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the V-Twin Forum : Harley-Davidson Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. WE WILL SEND A CONFIRMATION EMAIL TO THE ADDRESS YOU PROVIDE. If the email address is NOT VALID, you will not be given access to the system!
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.