Klock Werks windshield question : V-Twin Forum: Harley Davidson Forums
» Sponsors

» Insurance
Go Back   V-Twin Forum : Harley-Davidson Motorcycle Forums > General Discussion Forums > Harley-Davidson Touring
New User? Register Forgot Password

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-03-2012, 02:15 PM   #1 (permalink)
IronButt

John Klad wants to know Dino or Syn?
Question Klock Werks windshield question

I am thinking of getting a KlockWerks recurve windshield for my '09 Ultra. Their website recommends the 8.5" to be able to use windshield triple-pouches. I DON'T want to put it on just because it looks "cool". I want to know if they are functionally superior than the stock HD windshield in re-directing air above and around the rider. I don't want wind blowing directly in my face. For those of you who have one of these, how do they compare to the stock windshield? Also, did you go with the lightly tinted or dark smoke tint? Thanks for your input.
John Klad is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-03-2012, 02:28 PM   #2 (permalink)
Sniper

gunnysgt wants to know Dino or Syn?
Had one, looked cool, thought it blew way too much air in my face, went with a Cee Bailey curve top 10" shield.
Best Freakin Harley I Ever Owned
gunnysgt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 03:03 PM   #3 (permalink)
Seasoned Rider

sjgrzz wants to know Dino or Syn?
Seriously look at the Freedom Shields, look great and work awesome. I run a windvest 4" in the summer and Freedom shields 6" til it snows and in the early spring. Am 5'11" and think the 6" provides excellent wind protection for me, an 8" might be perfect for what you are looking for
sjgrzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 04:42 PM   #4 (permalink)
Seasoned Rider

slimvela wants to know Dino or Syn?
Quote:
Originally Posted by gunnysgt View Post
Had one, looked cool, thought it blew way too much air in my face, went with a Cee Bailey curve top 10" shield.
Hear! Hear!

Went with the 8" Bronze myself, on clearance for $50 at Cee right now
Nothing much to see here...2006 FLHTI, SE Stage 1 Intake/ECM Flash, V&H ProPipe HS, Lapera Bare Bones, Cee Devil, some jewelry, otherwise stock 'cause it's just that good, and because we have 3 children $$$
slimvela is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 05:00 PM   #5 (permalink)
IronButt

RogerDodger wants to know Dino or Syn?
I had (still do) a 6.5" on my SG. No wind in my face issues, but it was very noisy. Replaced it with a 6" HD and the wind noise all but disappeared.
The KW is for sale now, PM me if you're interested.
RogerDodger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 07:18 PM   #6 (permalink)
IronButt

06 flstfise wants to know Dino or Syn?
Quote:
Originally Posted by slimvela View Post
Hear! Hear!

Went with the 8" Bronze myself, on clearance for $50 at Cee right now
If you ride with a passenger how do they like the Cee Bailey?
06 flstfise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 11:30 PM   #7 (permalink)
Ret 1SG now CFP

1SG_CFP wants to know Dino or Syn?
I have both the 6.5 and the 8.5. Most of the time I run the 6.5. But on long trips and during the winter, I hide behind the 8.5.

I've read a few complaints like: it distorts or it's noisy. That's not been my experience. I wouldn't be without mine. And I enjoy the additional stability from the mild downforce it creates especially when passing trucks.

I should add; I'm just shy of 5'9". So a 6.5 fits me like an 8.5 fits someone close to 6' tall. The 8.5 is a bit tall for me. But in weather, I can get completely behind it and it creates an air pocket that my wife enjoys as well.

I also tried a Windsplitter. The flare worked better for me. Most dealers have a selection of windshields so you can find your sweet spot.

I also have the T-Bags. They are shaped for the Fare and I believe give more flexibility because they'll work behind any windshield. And they do work behind the 6.5. None of the other ones I tried worked behind the Flare.

Last edited by 1SG_CFP; 03-04-2012 at 08:45 AM. Reason: Add info
1SG_CFP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 07:25 AM   #8 (permalink)
Sniper

gunnysgt wants to know Dino or Syn?
Guess some of this stuff depends on your height and riding position. I ride long distance like Motorcops ride, straight up with a straight back. At 5"11 that can add to the wind. I've tried all kinds of shields but the Windvest or Cee Bailey with the flip on the end of the shield makes it perform like it's 2 or 3 inches higher than it actually is. I like the streamed lined look of the Klock Werks and the Bailey SST but they don't seem to perform as well for me in my riding position. The short shields are cool lookin but just don't do the job on a long haul.
Best Freakin Harley I Ever Owned
gunnysgt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 08:56 AM   #9 (permalink)
Seasoned Rider

tattookaz wants to know Dino or Syn?
i have the 8.5 on my street glide and i love it . keeps the wind out of my face. even lets me light a smoke while im riding.
tattookaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 10:53 AM   #10 (permalink)
Seasoned Rider

stranger7953 wants to know Dino or Syn?
i had 6.5,wind popped in my ears,8.5 solved problem,i,m 5-11,wind hits top of my head now,T-bags work fine ,but only middle bag can hold no more than glasses.other sides of bag to small for anything other than maybe keys, no buffeting above gas tank,cigar smoke even curls.
stranger7953 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 10:57 AM   #11 (permalink)
IronButt

brownfoxx1 wants to know Dino or Syn?
freedom shield offers a free return if you don't take the plastic cover off. just in case you want a taller one.
brownfoxx1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 11:06 AM   #12 (permalink)
IronButt

John Klad wants to know Dino or Syn?
Thanks for all the input. I am checking them all out.
John Klad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 02:42 PM   #13 (permalink)
Seasoned Rider

slimvela wants to know Dino or Syn?
Quote:
Originally Posted by 06 flstfise View Post
If you ride with a passenger how do they like the Cee Bailey?
both 5'8", buts wind about 2" over my head...ridin solo my friend

she's got her own...
Nothing much to see here...2006 FLHTI, SE Stage 1 Intake/ECM Flash, V&H ProPipe HS, Lapera Bare Bones, Cee Devil, some jewelry, otherwise stock 'cause it's just that good, and because we have 3 children $$$
slimvela is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 08:23 AM   #14 (permalink)
FNG :)

Harleyfullmoon wants to know Dino or Syn?
Klock Werks Tinted 11.5" Flare Windshield

I went with the Klock Werks Tinted 11.5" Flare Windshield,on my 2008 FLHTCI. and it is a great windshield I am 6' 4" and no wind hits me like it did with the stock 11 1/2" windshield did. I got the light smoked.
Harleyfullmoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 08:48 AM   #15 (permalink)
IronButt

Sage Counsel wants to know Dino or Syn?
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Klad View Post
I am thinking of getting a KlockWerks recurve windshield for my '09 Ultra. Their website recommends the 8.5" to be able to use windshield triple-pouches. I DON'T want to put it on just because it looks "cool". I want to know if they are functionally superior than the stock HD windshield in re-directing air above and around the rider. I don't want wind blowing directly in my face. For those of you who have one of these, how do they compare to the stock windshield? Also, did you go with the lightly tinted or dark smoke tint? Thanks for your input.
I had a Klockwerks 6.5" and I loved it. There was air, but no real wind or buffeting. Could hear music. Wind went over my head. I could see over it, which is a what I wanted. Rain went pretty much over my head too...some spatter, but not too bad. Performed way better than OEM non recurve.

Also improved handling on the bat wing, because the curves create a down force on the front end. Reduced lift and made the bike feel much more stable at high speed.

There are a few variables and trade offs.

If you want to see through the shield, you can get a taller one, and this will cut wind best. If you want the absolute maximum wind protection -- little to no wind -- you must get a "see through" not a "see over." Trade off: less wind, but need a clear shield and hard to see through in the rain.

I prefer a "see over."

Your height and riding position is critical. I am 5'10". 30 inch inseam. Had a mustang seat.

The 6.5 was perfect for me. Best combo of low wind and ability to see over. Could have had a very dark tint and could still see at night, though I prefer the smoked. If you are taller, you can and should get an 8.5.

No three bag fit on the 6.5. I used a single windshield bag. Klockwerks says a triple bag will fit with the 8.5, but I haven't tried it. But if it's too tall a shield then you are seeing through it.. so do you want the bags, or to see over. You have to consider your height and if you are not 6' or over, you won't be able to see over the 8.5....

If you get a "see through" height, you need clear or very lightly tinted or you wont' be able to see at night.

I think the Klockwerks is vastly superior to the OEM. Better wind protection, better handling bike at high speed. I prefer the dark smoke tint -- for looks -- but you should get this only if you can see over it.
Advertisement