Gauge condensation fix? : V-Twin Forum: Harley Davidson Forums
» Sponsors

» Insurance
Go Back   V-Twin Forum : Harley-Davidson Motorcycle Forums > General Discussion Forums > Harley-Davidson Touring
New User? Register Forgot Password

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-24-2012, 02:36 PM   #1 (permalink)
IronButt

justbill301 wants to know Dino or Syn?
Gauge condensation fix?

My '06 SG gets moisture on the inside of the glass face of my gas gauge. It comes and goes, and only the gas gauge. I'm certain the fairing doesn't leak water. I've seen this on a couple of other bikes too.

Any tips ? TIA........ Bill
Advertisement

Old 02-24-2012, 03:02 PM   #2 (permalink)
IronButt

anubisss wants to know Dino or Syn?
That would be what is considered normal with the fuel gauge. All my Harley's have had the same issue. My speedometer does it too when i wash it or get stuck in the rain.

Drew
Old 02-24-2012, 04:59 PM   #3 (permalink)
IronButt

93Horse wants to know Dino or Syn?
Quote:
Originally Posted by justbill301 View Post
My '06 SG gets moisture on the inside of the glass face of my gas gauge. It comes and goes, and only the gas gauge. I'm certain the fairing doesn't leak water. I've seen this on a couple of other bikes too.

Any tips ? TIA........ Bill
My understanding is that these are not sealed units and moist air can enter the instrument.
Old 02-24-2012, 05:04 PM   #4 (permalink)
FNG :)

soft 02 wants to know Dino or Syn?
Just stuff a small bag of silica pellets in the small hole behind the speedo.
Old 02-25-2012, 04:08 PM   #5 (permalink)
Seasoned Rider

Quicksilver1 wants to know Dino or Syn?
I have some really tiny drill bits, way smaller than in a typical drill index. I drilled a hole on the back side of the offending gauges as high up as possible. It didn't make the problem go away completely, but it doesn't happen near as often and they dry up way quicker than they used to. good luck.
Quicksilver1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 11:42 AM   #6 (permalink)
FNG :)

Island_Rider wants to know Dino or Syn?
Mine do the same. I like the tip on silica pellets. May have to look into that, I have a few of those packs kicking around.
Island_Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 01:48 PM   #7 (permalink)
IronButt

justbill301 wants to know Dino or Syn?
Thanx for the posts. I'm gonna fix it eventually, and when I do, I'll post it. Just because some say it's 'normal', does not make it acceptable, or that it can't be improved.

The next time I have the fairing apart, I'll try a couple things.

Clearly, there would be two paths, seal it, or vent it. Another thought offered was more heat via a light bulb. Also, look at a new plastic hd spotlight, it has a hole near the top, and it's covered with what appears to be a 'goretex' type tape ? Engine heat is probably the offending cause, so maybe it's just a matter of reducing the warm air entering the bottom of the fairing.... still tossing it around.

Snow on the ground but the sun is out...... goin for a putt....
Old 02-27-2012, 08:31 PM   #8 (permalink)
AKA-Smitty

05 Ultra wants to know Dino or Syn?
I installed LED bulbs and that cuts it down alot except in a long driving rain or very cold morning runs. The heat from the incandesent bulb causes the fog up before it heats up enough to clear it up. No heat from LEDs. But I was thinking about installing a small PC fan to help vent the fairing and blow across the gauges to speed things up.
95 kit w/street ported heads-PCIII-510G gear drive cams-92 HP-102 Tq
HID aftermarket kit in HDs dual bulb head light-Stebel air horn-LeNale Cooling Fan-Better Lever.. it is!
All LEDs bulbs including gauges,signals and passing lights
Lyndal Z-Plus, Speed bleeders.
(ok I'm getting old...But not that old!)
05 Ultra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 07:17 AM   #9 (permalink)
IronButt

sporty952 wants to know Dino or Syn?
Oscar -> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bell_jar

I always wanted to try a vacuum bake-out
on the speedometer from the '07 Sportster
I had, it had an ugly fog problem. "Oscar"
is the bell jar we use at work to de-gas
glue and conformal coating before being
used on PCB's. (WW-II surplus equipment
deserves a name, eh?)

:-)
-W
sporty952 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 12:11 PM   #10 (permalink)
Premium Member

rickr01 wants to know Dino or Syn?
I had the condensation problem on my Evo Dyna and ultimately fixed it after giving up on the OEM gauges and replacing with Dakota Digital. Never had a problem after that. Just drying out the gauge each time it happens may solve the immediate issue but ultimately the gauge glass and face will become stained and discolored as two of mine did. I don't understand why Harley cannot seal a gauge but Dakota can? I haven't had any trouble with my 2010 Street Glide yet but I'm told by others that they still have trouble with theirs in this model year and later. I guess when it does happen I'll do the same as with my Dyna and go Dakota's.
rickr01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 09:03 AM   #11 (permalink)
IronButt

Geoff wants to know Dino or Syn?
Moisture on the inside of gauges is a standard feature on touring bikes. It's been this way for many years. The Motor Company looks the other way. Some say Harley's Purchasing manager is related to the gauge supplier. Nepotism trumps quality, ya know.

The only fix is to replace the gauges with better ones. Another option is to hermetically seal your bike in Harley's climate controlled, filtered air bubble. See page 24,012 in the P&A catalog. Lastly, never wash your bike or ride in rain.
Old 03-01-2012, 01:08 PM   #12 (permalink)
IronButt

ultraplusrotax wants to know Dino or Syn?
There is a fix, quite simple: just ride.
ultraplusrotax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 06:37 PM   #13 (permalink)
Seasoned Rider

Quicksilver1 wants to know Dino or Syn?
I never ever saw a Metric or British bike with fogging gauges. The fact that the brits have made weatherproof gauges for years should really stand as a challenge to HD. It is really sad that the MOCO just has a "that'll be good enough" attitude.
Quicksilver1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 09:04 PM   #14 (permalink)
IronButt

Geoff wants to know Dino or Syn?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quicksilver1 View Post
I never ever saw a Metric or British bike with fogging gauges. The fact that the brits have made weatherproof gauges for years should really stand as a challenge to HD. It is really sad that the MOCO just has a "that'll be good enough" attitude.
Good point.

Last summer I rode my BMW from St Louis to Chicago in rain. When I got home I washed the bike with a hose. The guages never fogged.
Old 03-01-2012, 10:39 PM   #15 (permalink)
IronButt

clayslayer wants to know Dino or Syn?
The gauges on my '10 Limited fog up. I don't care. I just ride. Replacing the gauges would fix the issue but why replace an expensive functional gauge with another REALLY expensive gauge. I've pissed enough money away on this bike to worry about something like this.

Why MoCo didn't source good AutoMeter or VDO gauges is beyond me. Oh yeah, duh: The thrice cursed parts catalog. If they put the "good" stuff in as an OEM they wouldn't make near as much from accessory sales.

2007 CBR600RR. Ohlins FGK forks and TTX36 shock, Zero Gravity DB windscreen, Woodcraft case covers, Vortex sliders and spools, Michelin PP2CT tires, Spongebob keychain. Does not leak oil. (sold...miss it dearly)

2008 Can-Am Outlander 650 Max XT. Bone stock. More fun than what ought to be legal.
clayslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement