Engine noise on start up : V-Twin Forum: Harley Davidson Forums
» Sponsors

» Insurance
Go Back   V-Twin Forum : Harley-Davidson Motorcycle Forums > General Discussion Forums > Harley-Davidson Touring
New User? Register Forgot Password

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-23-2012, 04:48 PM   #1 (permalink)
FNG :)

gunrunner68 wants to know Dino or Syn?
Engine noise on start up

I have an engine noise on startup. It happens after it has been sitting for a day or so. Sounds like the top end. Only lasts a second or two. The bike is a 2012 street glide. It has 289 miles on it. Took it back to dealer and they said they have seen a bunch of the 103's that make noise when new! Told me to ride it and it will go away after 200-300 miles. Anybody else hear of this or have this happen?
Thanks
gunrunner68 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-23-2012, 06:48 PM   #2 (permalink)
IronButt

Tequila SG wants to know Dino or Syn?
Mine doesn't but my brother's does, just like you described is only at start up and it last only a second or two. He has never bother to take it back, some days it there some not. I wouldn't worry ride the heck out of it if something goes is under warranty, I had transmission noise change the oil is gone 90%....is a Harley

Tequila SG is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-23-2012, 07:39 PM   #3 (permalink)
Seasoned Rider

1BADHD wants to know Dino or Syn?
We have 2 2011 limited bikes with 103 and yes the top ends are noisy. more so when they where brand new. one of the two was a bit louder and can hnestly say after about 5000miles they both got alot quieter and ran much smoother then they did new.

now our 2 bikes where noisy all the time not just at start up, i wouldnt worry too much about it as you have warranty on it even though i dont thik you will need if for that problem. just give it a chance and she will break in just fine. Ath the end of the day you have a basic pushrod engine dont expect it to be as smooth and quiet as the OHC engine.

your all good brother just ride her.

Dave
1BADHD is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-23-2012, 09:44 PM   #4 (permalink)

Thanks Guys. Thats what I wanted to hear.
Old 02-23-2012, 09:50 PM   #5 (permalink)
IronButt

SGT_MUDFLAP wants to know Dino or Syn?
Is it a tick?
06 Ultra Classic looken like a Street Glide. 95", Andrews 26N, D&D Fatcat, PCIII, Deweys Heads, Southern Oregon HotBike Hydraulic Automatic Primary Chain Tensioner, 18" Street Glide front wheel, Willie G Skull Collection and alot of other stuff....
SGT_MUDFLAP is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-24-2012, 12:10 AM   #6 (permalink)

No tick valve chatter kinda sound...hard to explain only lasts a second or two. im going to run it and see what happens.
Old 02-24-2012, 07:03 AM   #7 (permalink)
Seasoned Rider

kblb wants to know Dino or Syn?
probably just a lifter bleeding down, they pump up in a couple seconds and the noise goes away, thats ok
kblb is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-24-2012, 07:37 AM   #8 (permalink)
Lifetime Premium

strokerjlk is reading this now saying WTF is this?
Quote:
Originally Posted by kblb View Post
probably just a lifter bleeding down, they pump up in a couple seconds and the noise goes away, thats ok
thats what I am seeing on most 2011 bikes. I just though it was just the nature of these c lifters...
SE 218
DR 218

Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.
strokerjlk is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-24-2012, 07:54 AM   #9 (permalink)
IronButt

ultraplusrotax wants to know Dino or Syn?
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1BADHD View Post
Ath the end of the day you have a basic pushrod engine dont expect it to be as smooth and quiet as the OHC engine.
A ohc or dohc is not necessarily quiter than a pushrod. If in doubt listen to the terrible wining noise of Honda Pan or worse still the Triumph triple
ultraplusrotax is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-24-2012, 09:05 AM   #10 (permalink)

Thanks again guys. You have been helpful.
Old 02-24-2012, 10:59 AM   #11 (permalink)
IronButt

ROGER4314 wants to know Dino or Syn?
I have been riding water cooled, overhead cam rice burners for years and when I got my H-D, the noises coming from that air cooled push rod engine really concerned me. I asked a H-D mechanic to listen to it and he said all that racket was normal. After that, I quit worrying about it.

I also drive a 93 Jeep Wrangler straight 6 and they all seem to have an engine clicking noise. I asked a Jeep expert, a foreign guy who spoke with a heavy accent about that noise. His reply? "That's Jeep noise." Lesson learned.

Flash

Last edited by ROGER4314; 02-24-2012 at 11:01 AM.
ROGER4314 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-24-2012, 07:42 PM   #12 (permalink)
Premium Member

HogDreamer wants to know Dino or Syn?
A couple of years ago I had my bike overnight at an Indy so he could adjust my clutch. (Bike has to be cold) When he called me to say it was ready for pick-up he said when he first started the bike it made so much noise he thought the motor was going to fly apart. He did notice the oil pressure rose to where it should be so he tried it again. That time it was much quieter.

I did mention this to the Harley dealer since the bike was still under warranty. They kept it over night and tried the same thing as the Indy. The dealer did notice an identical noise and called the Harley rep.

They were told it was probably caused by carbon build-up in the motor and to run a fuel additive to help clean it out. Seems far fetched to me but I did as they suggested so they couldn't say I caused the problem in case it got worse.

Did the additive work? Don't know if it really helped but it didn't hurt. I actually liked the way the bike ran while running that additive but as luck would have it, Harley quit selling that product.

I've ridden that bike about another 25,000 miles since the noise first became apparent and have had no issues yet. I think it is just the nature of the beast and I have learned to live with it. Some days I don't notice the noise at all but other days it seems like there a bunch of marbles rattling inside the motor.
HogDreamer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-25-2012, 07:33 AM   #13 (permalink)
IronButt

RKC-Charlie wants to know Dino or Syn?
I've owned a dozen Harleys; Shovels, Block Heads, Fat Heads. The 103 makes a lot more clatter then any of the bikes I've owned. I doubt I will ever get used to it, but it's life with the 103. During the first week (1000 miles week) I stopped at the dealer 4 times complaining about the noise. It now has 20,000 and runs great, I wear ear plugs and still hear what I consider excessive noise.
Old 02-25-2012, 11:52 AM   #14 (permalink)
IronButt

07 STREETGLIDE wants to know Dino or Syn?
Try running a thicker engine oil 20/50wt it probably has SYN3 in it now which is pretty thin oil. Can't hurt to try it.
07 SG, Black Cherry Pearl, Stage 1, Thunder 2 into 1 Header, K&N, Sert, H.D. Passing Lights, HID, Run/Stop/Turn With LED Bulbs, Led Ground Effects Brake Light, Amsoil in Big Hole, Redline V-twin shockproof trans, Redline V-twin primary fluid. "O" so smooth [B]"Gone on a Slowride taking in the views"
07 STREETGLIDE is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-25-2012, 06:37 PM   #15 (permalink)
Seasoned Rider

G-money wants to know Dino or Syn?
My 2011 makes the same noise. When I took it back to the dealer they knew right away it was the lifters. They then took me to the showroom and started up some new bikes that were on the showroom floor. And believe it or not they all did it. They then told me something that I really couldnt believe: on page 169 of the 2011 owners manual, under HYDRAULIC LIFTERS it says "when starting an engine which has been turned off even for a few minutes, the valve mechanism may be slightly noisy until the hydraulic units completely refill with oil." Who would've thunk? Look in your manual, I know no-one reads them but its in there.
G-money is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the V-Twin Forum : Harley-Davidson Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. WE WILL SEND A CONFIRMATION EMAIL TO THE ADDRESS YOU PROVIDE. If the email address is NOT VALID, you will not be given access to the system!
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.