103 twincam? : V-Twin Forum: Harley Davidson Forums
» Sponsors

» Insurance
Go Back   V-Twin Forum : Harley-Davidson Motorcycle Forums > General Discussion Forums > Harley-Davidson Touring
New User? Register Forgot Password

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-22-2012, 08:32 PM   #1 (permalink)
Seasoned Rider

1BADHD wants to know Dino or Syn?
103 twincam?

I have a 2011 Ultra Limited which i love, i currently have 15000km on it and want to know anyone that has high mileage on the same bike and if they have had any issues.

The only problem i have had is the limp mode issue, its happened 4 times. does anyone know if there is a updated flash on ecm to correct this?

The bike is stock but powerdual, pipes,intake and fuel pak on the way.
1BADHD is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-22-2012, 08:51 PM   #2 (permalink)
IronButt

MONSOON wants to know Dino or Syn?
Bad, I have the very same ride as you but not but 4k miles. Only thing I had was the brake recall. I have RineHart 4" slipons but other than that I am stock. Probably keep it as such. Not seen the limp mode, hope I don't. Bike does run awesome.
MONSOON is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-22-2012, 09:22 PM   #3 (permalink)
Seasoned Rider

Bike runs awesome, between myself, my brothers and father we bought 3 brand new 2011 in feb of 2011. our black limited has gone into limp about 5 times in 15000km, my fathers has only done it once. i thought o heard there was a flash to correct this but cant confirm. we are all first time HD owners in fact my father was a goldwing rider and swore he would never own an HD but he loves his bike now that he has it.....lol.
Old 02-22-2012, 09:34 PM   #4 (permalink)
IronButt

RKC-Charlie wants to know Dino or Syn?
Limp mode = Engine Idle Temperature Management System. You can turn off that limp mode, should you want to. It only goes to limp when at idle and a engine reaches 287* temperture (165*C). The limp mode should not be a concern. As soon as you throttle, it will shut off and run smooth.
Old 02-22-2012, 09:44 PM   #5 (permalink)
Seasoned Rider

i think your a bit confused, the EITMS just cuts the rear cylinder off for temp purposes, i mean the ecm puts the bike into limp mode when it detects a problem. this has been an issue with the throttle by wire bikes, im just not sure if they have found a fix for this yet as several dealers have been changing various parts that are not correcting the issue at hand. aside from that the bike has been great.
Old 02-22-2012, 09:58 PM   #6 (permalink)
WFO

mtrhead269 wants to know Dino or Syn?
No check engine light? Light comes on when it sets a trouble code.
Old 02-22-2012, 10:00 PM   #7 (permalink)
IronButt

OK, sorry. All the discussions I have seen about limp mode is the EITMS. I've never had the ecm problem you mention (11 RKC). Sorry to jump your post. I'm out.
Old 02-22-2012, 10:11 PM   #8 (permalink)
Enjoying a great Ride.

jeffsglide wants to know Dino or Syn?
So is limp mode when one cylinder shuts down when running hot when you come to a stop, or are we talking about something different. Well I have a 2011 RGU and sense I"m not sure of what your talking about, I dough it happened to me. What are we talking about?
jeffsglide is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-22-2012, 11:50 PM   #9 (permalink)
WFO

mtrhead269 wants to know Dino or Syn?
Limp mode occurs when you have a fault code delivered from one of the sensors to the ecm the ecm puts the bike into bsackup or limp mode so that the bike is driveable but will not cause futher damage to the motorcycle while driving. If it is a serious fault their is a trouble code stored within the ecm .Reading the DTC and folowing the flow chart helps you to diasgnose and repair the problem
Old 02-23-2012, 12:01 AM   #10 (permalink)
Premium Member

RonADA wants to know Dino or Syn?
I think we're talking about EITMS.. Engine Idle Temperature Management System. It kills fuel to the rear cylinder when it's hot. The air going through the engine cools it off faster than you would think.. Anyway you can turn it off or on. You can do it key on engine off or on the fly with the engine idling if you get stuck in traffic and start cooking.. Push the throttle forward (closed) to roll off position and hold it there. Like when you kill the cruise with the throttle. After about 3 or 4 seconds the cruise control indicator will flash either red (disabled) or green (enabled). Repeat the procedure to go between on and off. This is with the cruise switch off. That's the way it works on my 2011 FLHTK..

Last edited by RonADA; 02-23-2012 at 11:02 AM.
RonADA is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-23-2012, 12:21 AM   #11 (permalink)
IronButt

ManicKernel wants to know Dino or Syn?
Check grounds and look for loose engine harness connections. If that doesn't work replace entire wiring harness.

Actually I have no idea. Just some googling shows it seems to be occurring rather too much on '09 up TBW.

Last edited by ManicKernel; 02-23-2012 at 12:25 AM.
ManicKernel is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-23-2012, 01:41 AM   #12 (permalink)
FNG :)

blogs wants to know Dino or Syn?
he loves his bike now that he has it..
blogs is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-23-2012, 07:19 PM   #13 (permalink)
Seasoned Rider

Thanks for all the replies, but it has nothing to do with the EITMS, the check engine light will come on and the power to the bike will be cut right down. i believe you can only do 40km/h when this happens. it is a problem with several newer HD'S that use Throttle By Wire. if you google limp mode on harley you will see the issues guys are having. first HD was repairing the wire harness to the throttle body servo, then they said it was caused by vibration that would damage the connector in the throttle body but that didnt work either as per other discussions i have read on the internet. i was just curious if anyone new if they had a new flash for the ecm that would delay the bike from going into LIMP MODE so early. It was just something i heard on a forum but cant find it again and was hoping someone on here knew about it.

once again thanks all for your input much appreciated.

Dave.
Old 02-23-2012, 07:57 PM   #14 (permalink)
IronButt

Interesting. So when your bike goes into the limp mode, how long does it last? How do you get out of it?
Old 02-23-2012, 08:00 PM   #15 (permalink)
FNG :)

mike2011sg wants to know Dino or Syn?
I have been told to take the wire connectors apart and put dielectric grease in them.
mike2011sg is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the V-Twin Forum : Harley-Davidson Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. WE WILL SEND A CONFIRMATION EMAIL TO THE ADDRESS YOU PROVIDE. If the email address is NOT VALID, you will not be given access to the system!
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.