Going 21" on the Front..have questions : V-Twin Forum: Harley Davidson Forums
» Sponsors

» Insurance
Go Back   V-Twin Forum : Harley-Davidson Motorcycle Forums > General Discussion Forums > Harley-Davidson Touring
New User? Register Forgot Password

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-11-2012, 12:45 AM   #1 (permalink)
FNG :)

Henry89 wants to know Dino or Syn?
Question Going 21" on the Front..have questions

So I want to put a 21" wheel on the front. The previous owner lowered the bike (2009 FLHX Street Glide) 2" in the front and the back since he was a 5' 4" guy. So now I have the bike and doing some changes. If I go 21" in the front will I need to change the ride height in the back to keep the ride geometry right? The rear wheel is the stock 16" wheel. Now this is someone coming from a XL1200C so I'm not sure what will be difference will change with the 21" front wheel. Thanks everyone!
Henry89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-11-2012, 02:09 AM   #2 (permalink)
Banned

sublime is reading this now saying WTF is this?
Don't sweat the front, I am running mine lowered 2" up front with the Progressive Monotube kit... I am 1" lower in the rear on progressive 940's.. It rides great.

What method of lowering did he use? How's it ride now? It will ride pretty much the same with the 21...
sublime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2012, 06:37 AM   #3 (permalink)
Seasoned Rider

aviscomi wants to know Dino or Syn?
Quote:
Originally Posted by sublime View Post
Don't sweat the front, I am running mine lowered 2" up front with the Progressive Monotube kit... I am 1" lower in the rear on progressive 940's.. It rides great.

What method of lowering did he use? How's it ride now? It will ride pretty much the same with the 21...
+1 I'm runing the same set up as sublime (except I using Legends Air on the rear) with my 21" front.
4-SALE 2012 StreetGlide Tequila Sunrise/HD Orange-Procharged SE 120R Crate Motor, SE Plates & VPC, SE Pro Tuner, Dragula 2/1 Exhaust, Legends Air Ride Suspension, Dakota Digital Gauges, UltraCool Oil Cooler, Progressive MonoTube Front Suspension-2", HD Stretched Bags, Coastal Moto 21" Genesis Front Wheel
2010 StreetGlide Scarlet Red-Rinehart Extreme True Duals, ThunderMax, FM SE Stage 1 A/C
2002 Ducati Monster 620 -Micron Exhaust
http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f207/aviscomi/MAG.png[/IMG]
aviscomi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2012, 10:15 AM   #4 (permalink)
Ironbutt

MilesToGo wants to know Dino or Syn?
Running 21 inch front wheel on my 09 Street Glide. The rear is stock height with stock 16 in wheel. The front has been lowered one inch. I think it handles better than it did stock.

If i were you i'd just install the 21 and see how it rides/handles before making any other mods. You may just be happy with it.
2003 Heritage Softail Classic
- 95ci, stage III heads, RB LSR exhaust, S&S 510 cams, 100hp 102tq
MilesToGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2012, 01:26 PM   #5 (permalink)
IronButt

Born2Ride wants to know Dino or Syn?
The bike will ride just as good if not better with the 21"....Go for it,no worries!!
Frame raked 7*/stretched 1"
HHI 6 piston caliper
HHI 9* raked trees
Arnott air ride
Boomcan slip-ons
C&C seat
Wild1 577 handlebars
Banana boards
LED tail/turns
PYO dash
Sinister windsheild
Stretched bags
Stretched Fender
Stretched Side panels
Born2Ride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 09:03 PM   #6 (permalink)

Henry89 wants to know Dino or Syn?
Question Stock front fender

Another question that I had about going to a 21" wheel on the front. Will the stock fender still work? I was told by someone that I could still use the stock front fender but would need to drill out the rear hole for the fender mount with a 3/8's bit. This would allow me to tilt the fender forward and give me the clearance I needed for the 21" wheel. Can anyone confirm this? Thanks!
Henry89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 09:40 PM   #7 (permalink)
Banned

sublime is reading this now saying WTF is this?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Henry89 View Post
Another question that I had about going to a 21" wheel on the front. Will the stock fender still work? I was told by someone that I could still use the stock front fender but would need to drill out the rear hole for the fender mount with a 3/8's bit. This would allow me to tilt the fender forward and give me the clearance I needed for the 21" wheel. Can anyone confirm this? Thanks!
Yup, it'll work just fine... I had the stock fender with a 21 for three years before I switched to a fat baggers wrap fender...
sublime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 10:11 PM   #8 (permalink)
Lifetime Premium

motorheads5 is reading this now saying WTF is this?
Quote:
Yep that's the way to go.
Old 02-15-2012, 07:53 AM   #9 (permalink)
Ironbutt

MilesToGo wants to know Dino or Syn?
Quote:
I was told by someone that I could still use the stock front fender but would need to drill out the rear hole for the fender mount with a 3/8's bit. This would allow me to tilt the fender forward and give me the clearance I needed for the 21" wheel. Can anyone confirm this? Thanks!
As others have said already, yes this will work in most cases. You should still check clearance after doing the fender alteration. Should have about 1/4in between tire and fender. Any less and you might burn the fender. As far as drilling the fender, i think the correct drill bit size is 5/16. Basically, you just want to enlarge the hole a little - maybe 1/16 in.
2003 Heritage Softail Classic
- 95ci, stage III heads, RB LSR exhaust, S&S 510 cams, 100hp 102tq
MilesToGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 09:47 PM   #10 (permalink)
IronButt

Kool-Aid wants to know Dino or Syn?
Henry89-just wondering how your journey turned out? I'm looking at going to the 21 inch front wheel, but HD dealer tells me I have to drill the back two fender holes and "tilt" the fender forward, and lower the front, with Progressive mono tubes, or put 13 inch (ultra) shocks on the back to level the bike out...Make the 19 inch wheel a more cost effective purchase.
Kool-Aid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 03:46 PM   #11 (permalink)
Seasoned Rider

denimglide11 wants to know Dino or Syn?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kool-Aid View Post
Henry89-just wondering how your journey turned out? I'm looking at going to the 21 inch front wheel, but HD dealer tells me I have to drill the back two fender holes and "tilt" the fender forward, and lower the front, with Progressive mono tubes, or put 13 inch (ultra) shocks on the back to level the bike out...Make the 19 inch wheel a more cost effective purchase.
+1 here. Next mod will be a 21 inch front wheel. Looking to keep everything else as is (fender/tubes etc.) Next question is who has ideas for a sick front wheel to match the Black Demin theme I have?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	colorado trip 028.jpg
Views:	179
Size:	100.0 KB
ID:	73964  
denimglide11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 02:23 AM   #12 (permalink)
Premium Member

Jezza wants to know Dino or Syn?
Quote:
Originally Posted by denimglide11 View Post
+1 here. Next mod will be a 21 inch front wheel. Looking to keep everything else as is (fender/tubes etc.) Next question is who has ideas for a sick front wheel to match the Black Demin theme I have?
A 21 inch Fat Daddy 50 spoke radial wheel from Ride Wright would look pretty sick on the front. Ride Wright do the rims, spokes and nipples in any color combination you want. Black rims, black spokes with chrome nipples would look pretty sweet, if you like spokes that is.
Zippers 527 Cams, S&S adjustable pushrods, Fueling cam support plate, lifters + high flow oil pump, MGS true duals with 4" cans, Wimmer dual runners air intake, Thundermax w/auto-tune ECM, Klock Werks Flare windshield, Mustang solo seat.
Jezza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 02:10 AM   #13 (permalink)
IronButt

Brew61 wants to know Dino or Syn?
I just installed a 21Ē on the front of a friendís RG for him and didnít run into any problems. I first put the wheel on and it just barely touched the front bumper now and then as the wheel spun. I then removed the wheel and loosened of the fender bolts and pulled the bumper and fender forward and up as much as I could and then tighten it all down. Replaced the wheel and had just over a ľ ď of space between the bumper and tire. Worked out perfect.

http://www.v-twinforum.com/forums/at...1&d=1367651141
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF4129.jpg
Views:	503
Size:	89.1 KB
ID:	84537  

2004 Road king FLHRCI
107 10.5-1 Flat top Pistons
S&S 4 3/8 Flywheels
Timken Conversion
Heads, Serdi Street port by Vee Twin Racing
S&S 585 gear drive Easy Start cams
S&S Quickee pushrod kit
Throttle body ported to 48mm by Dan Vance Racing
SE Air Cleaner kit with Zippers Filter
S&S Power Tune duals
Vance & Hines Basic Slash Slip-ons
Burly Lite Clutch Kit
HD Reduced Clutch inner/outer ramps
AIM Corp 480Lb. Clutch Spring
Baisley LMR-004 Oil Pump Spring
ThunderMax Auto Tuner
Brew61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 01:00 AM   #14 (permalink)

Bmose630 wants to know Dino or Syn?
Quote:
Originally Posted by denimglide11 View Post
If it was me I would check out the performance machine wrath with the platinum cut chrome. That's what I have and I think it looks pretty shape
Bmose630 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 12:05 PM   #15 (permalink)
Seasoned Rider

denimglide11 wants to know Dino or Syn?
Jezza/Bmose...thanks for the tips, I was leaning toward the spokes anyway so I think I may end up going that route, now i just have to decide on the suspension upgrades, I think Progressive in the front and back is what i'm gonna do....I have heard too many good things about them.
denimglide11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement