Which lowering Kit for Street Glide : V-Twin Forum: Harley Davidson Forums
» Sponsors

» Insurance
Go Back   V-Twin Forum : Harley-Davidson Motorcycle Forums > General Discussion Forums > Harley-Davidson Touring
New User? Register Forgot Password

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-28-2012, 07:46 AM   #1 (permalink)
Premium Member

sydwayz wants to know Dino or Syn?
Which lowering Kit for Street Glide

Looking to add a rear lowering kit to my 2011 Street glide (1 to 1/2 inches), but do not want to compromise handling. Many kits out there and they all claim "best handling". Any suggestions or recommendations?
sydwayz is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-28-2012, 08:44 AM   #2 (permalink)
Lifetime Premium

strokerjlk wants to know Dino or Syn?
Quote:
do not want to compromise handling
lowering it and this "want " does not go togather.

if you want it to ride right put a set of 13" shocks on it.
you handling is already compromised,with your current stock shocks.
SE 218
DR 218

Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.
strokerjlk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2012, 09:04 AM   #3 (permalink)
IronButt

streetglidekirk wants to know Dino or Syn?
The LA Choppers lowering kit seems to be the best at NOT changing the geometry of the shock. ie, moving the bottom of the shock farther back with most lowering kits. With the LA , the lower shock bolt hole moves straight down in line with the current frame mounting hole in line with the shock body. I put a set on my SG but went with 13" shocks for more travel.. My shocks are air ride too. Im not sure that I would put lowering kit on a SG unless I weighed about 120lbs or less. The SG is 1" lower than an Ultra from the factory. I had my bike to bottom out with the factory shocks.....
Bigboyz street port heads
Doherty Machine Power Pacc Air Breather
Kuryakyn Crusher True Duals
TTS Mastertune
Power Commander V
100 hp 108 tq
L.A. Choppers lowering
Arnott Aldan Air Ride 13" Shocks
Arc Audio KS 125.4 amp
DLS UP6i 6-1/2 speakers
streetglidekirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2012, 09:07 AM   #4 (permalink)
Lifetime Premium

Quote:
With the LA , the lower shock bolt hole moves straight down in line with the current frame mounting hole in line with the shock body. I put a set on my SG but went with 13" shocks for more travel..
you have done your homework. sounds sweet.
did it put you back to stock height?
SE 218
DR 218

Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.
Old 01-28-2012, 09:29 AM   #5 (permalink)
FNG :)

tj316 wants to know Dino or Syn?
I used the LA Chopper kit too , works great , my Road Glide Custom came 1" lower (12" shocks) I went to 13" Ohlins and then lowered it back to 12" with the LA kit
2011 FLTRX 103 , Baisley Heads , T Man 600 cams , TTS Master Tuner , Drago 2-1 pipe , Hawg Wired amp/speakers , Dakota Digital Gauges , JRi Shocks/Progressive monotubes , Lyndall Rotors , BR Handlebars ,Jagg fan assited oil cooler and so much more
tj316 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2012, 11:44 AM   #6 (permalink)
IronButt

justbill301 wants to know Dino or Syn?
Quote:
Originally Posted by sydwayz View Post
Looking to add a rear lowering kit to my 2011 Street glide (1 to 1/2 inches), but do not want to compromise handling. Many kits out there and they all claim "best handling". Any suggestions or recommendations?
OP isn't asking about shocks. As for a 'lowering block' kit alone....IMHO, steer clear. I don't think there is anything to the 'angle' argument. A few degrees isn't going to be a problem. But, I will tell you that if you go 1 to 1 1/2", you will likely bottom out. If you are 200 lbs +, or ride 2 up, I'm certain you will bottom out in a pothole or bump.

I'm 185 lb, and I lowered my '06 SG about 1 1/2", with a block kit. About a week later, I hit a pothole at speed, hard. Speedo was out, horn, turns.. yep, blew the fuse. Then blew it again. Further investigation- the rear tire had peeled the tail light bundle out of it's home inside the fender. Rode her the 3hrs home, and after fixing the wiring, bulbs, and fuses, raised it up to about a 3/4" lower than stock setting. So far, so good. I rarely ride 2up, and my stock shocks are set at 15 lbs. Good luck.
Old 01-28-2012, 12:47 PM   #7 (permalink)
IronButt

RogerDodger wants to know Dino or Syn?
Like stroker says you've got yourself an oxymoron there. They do indeed affect handling but it looks like streetglidekirk worked that out with a decent kit and some shocks.
I installed a lowering kit for a friend and had immediate issues with bottoming and a pronounced clank when it didn't bottom - stock 13" airshocks on an E-glide Standard. He really needed a lowered stance so I installed my take-off 12" SG shocks (after throwing that kit in the $hitcan) and all was well.
RogerDodger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2012, 01:15 PM   #8 (permalink)
IronButt

justbill301 wants to know Dino or Syn?
Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerDodger View Post
Like stroker says you've got yourself an oxymoron there. They do indeed affect handling but it looks like streetglidekirk worked that out with a decent kit and some shocks.
I installed a lowering kit for a friend and had immediate issues with bottoming and a pronounced clank when it didn't bottom - stock 13" airshocks on an E-glide Standard. He really needed a lowered stance so I installed my take-off 12" SG shocks (after throwing that kit in the $hitcan) and all was well.

I like mine where it is now, but I did consider sending the stock SG shocks in for minor modification. Memory fails right now, but there is a couple outfits that can change the ride height on the shocks for around 150 usd.
Old 01-28-2012, 04:59 PM   #9 (permalink)
IronButt

Quote:
Originally Posted by strokerjlk View Post
you have done your homework. sounds sweet.
did it put you back to stock height?
Yes for the most part I am at stock ride height when aired up for riding. I'm not the type to pull in to a parking lot and let the air out of the shocks to get attention. (like some). I wanted a good ride and there were lots of praise on the Arnott Aldan air ride. I bought them and WOW what a difference. Best add on I have done to date. Well the 103 kit. The cams. The stereo. Geeeez. I love it all. Lol. But I would definatly reccomend the air ride and lowering kit.
TTS Mastertune
Power Commander V
100 hp 108 tq
L.A. Choppers lowering
Arc Audio KS 125.4 amp
DLS UP6i 6-1/2 speakers
Old 01-28-2012, 08:36 PM   #10 (permalink)
Lifetime Premium

Quote:
Originally Posted by streetglidekirk View Post
Yes for the most part I am at stock ride height when aired up for riding. I'm not the type to pull in to a parking lot and let the air out of the shocks to get attention. (like some). I wanted a good ride and there were lots of praise on the Arnott Aldan air ride. I bought them and WOW what a difference. Best add on I have done to date. Well the 103 kit. The cams. The stereo. Geeeez. I love it all. Lol. But I would definatly reccomend the air ride and lowering kit.
I like that
I ride a lot of diff bikes. and FLHX is very popular so I see all the diff combos. some are flat out ridiculous. but I like the sound of what you did. arnott never seems to have a great ride quality IMO ,but then again I think I never got used to any of the ones I have ridden. I probably air them up to much to be honest.
got a 2012 cvo street glide here now, I got to do some research,but they sit nice and have a spring-ed shock with external reserve. (stock) might be a option for some?
SE 218
DR 218

Old 01-28-2012, 08:51 PM   #11 (permalink)
IronButt

I added a gauge and button controls on bars. I can add air if needed or let a little out if needed. I only use the gauge when starting out. (40 lbs or so). After a mile or so, have it adjusted and don't touch it. I did have to space the shocks and bags out a little for clearance with the lowering kit. No big deal. Shocks are a little fatter. I have read where the bilstien shocks are way too stiff, compared to the Aldans.
TTS Mastertune
Power Commander V
100 hp 108 tq
L.A. Choppers lowering
Arc Audio KS 125.4 amp
DLS UP6i 6-1/2 speakers
Old 01-29-2012, 10:57 AM   #12 (permalink)
Seasoned Rider

slimvela wants to know Dino or Syn?
So I've been considering the same 'upgrade/mod' and have done some research with local shops involved as recommended by friends/acquaintances. I know of two rides with the following, http://bitchinbaggers.com/products/drop-shocks/ and will be going the same route (1-1/4")...along wit a few of their other mods (fork lowering/fender drop bracket).

One of the perks of living in 'The Valley of The Sun"...plenty of shops!

just my .02

Last edited by slimvela; 01-29-2012 at 11:01 AM.
slimvela is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 05:37 PM   #13 (permalink)
Premium Member

sydwayz wants to know Dino or Syn?
Outstanding information!!! Thank you all. Based on comments I'm re-thinking the mod. If I do, it sounds like the LA kit with the 13" shocks is the way to go.
sydwayz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 07:19 PM   #14 (permalink)
IronButt

WEINERDOGBONE wants to know Dino or Syn?
Quote:
Originally Posted by sydwayz View Post
Outstanding information!!! Thank you all. Based on comments I'm re-thinking the mod. If I do, it sounds like the LA kit with the 13" shocks is the way to go.
I want to warn you that the LA kit will not work with Progressive shocks. The shock body is too fat and the lowering block will not draw tight w/o the use of spacers. I tired it when I went to 13" Progressive shocks.

I wasn't comfortable running spacers on a shock bolt but I do know that people have done it.
WEINERDOGBONE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 09:31 PM   #15 (permalink)
IronButt

Quote:
Originally Posted by WEINERDOGBONE View Post
I want to warn you that the LA kit will not work with Progressive shocks. The shock body is too fat and the lowering block will not draw tight w/o the use of spacers. I tired it when I went to 13" Progressive shocks.

I wasn't comfortable running spacers on a shock bolt but I do know that people have done it.
I had to use spacers with mine. I made them just wide enough to clear. I also used grade 8 bolts, just long enough to go to the bottom of hole in frame. This was right at 1 year ago. I checked them on 2 different occasions,(when I thought about it) and everything was tight with no issues, just like the day I installed them. The lowering block fits tight against frame, but like I said earlier, the Arnott shocks are a little fatter and required a little spacing to clear the block....This does NOT worry me in any way.
TTS Mastertune
Power Commander V
100 hp 108 tq
L.A. Choppers lowering
Arc Audio KS 125.4 amp
DLS UP6i 6-1/2 speakers
Sponsored Links