Removed catalytic converter today : V-Twin Forum: Harley Davidson Forums
» Sponsors

» Insurance
Go Back   V-Twin Forum : Harley-Davidson Motorcycle Forums > General Discussion Forums > Harley-Davidson Touring
New User? Register Forgot Password

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-17-2012, 08:24 PM   #1 (permalink)
Seasoned Rider

RKClassic09 wants to know Dino or Syn?
Removed catalytic converter today

While I was having cams installed in my limited today, I took the head pipe home and removed the catalytic converter. The heat that it generates on my foot was going to be a problem come summer time. So a friend shared with me how he did his so I decided to give it a try.

I cut the exhaust pipe in half and used a drill with a 1/2 inch bit to drill several holes. I then used a pair of pliers to pull the metal out of the pipe. I cleaned all of the metal out of both halves. Then I welded the pipe back together, ground the welds smooth and took it back to the Harley shop and they reinstalled it on the bike. All in all it was a simple mod and only took a couple of hours to do the entire project.

The results of the modification is that the heat is gone and the bike seems to be just a tad louder then before. I don't know how these bikes run with all that crap stuffed in the exhaust!
RKClassic09 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-17-2012, 08:51 PM   #2 (permalink)
Basic Hog Rider

xxxxxkwizard wants to know Dino or Syn?
Bet ya feel better with that thing ripped out of there!
xxxxxkwizard is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-18-2012, 04:47 AM   #3 (permalink)
Premium Member

Tnford27 wants to know Dino or Syn?
Have you had it retuned yet. The only problem in cutting out the cat is whats called cross talking with the sensors. The reading they see now want be the same and the tune is very hard to dial in. You would have been better off getting a fullsac x pipe or a fuelmoto system. These do away with the cross talking as well as V&H's Power duals.
Money wise you wnt the right direction, just not sure it was.
Old 01-18-2012, 01:32 PM   #4 (permalink)
FNG :)

speckfisher wants to know Dino or Syn?
subscribed
Old 01-18-2012, 03:06 PM   #5 (permalink)
Banned

2010 FLHX wants to know where he is and how he got here
Yeah, they run cooler, but they also run a lot leaner w/ the cats removed. Depending what cam you have, the valve overlap lets the exiting exhaust suck more air through the intake. Cats are an EPA thing on the larger engines (103, 110). No cats on a 96 in.

Your EFI has an O2 sensor and this new "respiratory config" needs a bit of tweaking for optimal performance. Running too lean tends to run hot, hard on valves, cylinders.

(I have a 96 in . . . and so can't get too specific about tuning this new setup.)
2010 FLHX is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-18-2012, 03:31 PM   #6 (permalink)
Ironbutt

MilesToGo wants to know Dino or Syn?
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2010 FLHX View Post
Yeah, they run cooler, but they also run a lot leaner w/ the cats removed. Depending what cam you have, the valve overlap lets the exiting exhaust suck more air through the intake. Cats are an EPA thing on the larger engines (103, 110). No cats on a 96 in.

Your EFI has an O2 sensor and this new "respiratory config" needs a bit of tweaking for optimal performance. Running too lean tends to run hot, hard on valves, cylinders.

(I have a 96 in . . . and so can't get too specific about tuning this new setup.)
Hate to tell you this but the 96 has cats as well. It started in 2010.
2003 Heritage Softail Classic
- 95ci, stage III heads, RB LSR exhaust, S&S 510 cams, 100hp 102tq
MilesToGo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-18-2012, 03:56 PM   #7 (permalink)
Banned

2010 FLHX wants to know where he is and how he got here
Quote:
Originally Posted by MilesToGo View Post
Hate to tell you this but the 96 has cats as well. It started in 2010.
Hate to tell you this, but maybe in California. No cats on the 2010 FLHX in 96" TC. -- This from the Service Manager and Head Mech. at the shop, during a seminar discussion on performance tuning.

Last edited by 2010 FLHX; 01-18-2012 at 03:59 PM.
2010 FLHX is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-18-2012, 04:21 PM   #8 (permalink)
Lifetime Premium

fj1200 wants to know Dino or Syn?
2010 parts catalog shows 66857-10 Exhaust Pipe Assembly, catalytic for 2010 FLHX and FLTRX and 66855-10 for all other touring models. You might want to check one of the online parts catalogs

2006 Big Dog Mastiff, S&S 117, S&S 600 cam, Thunderheart ignition, Doherty PowerPacc, Supertrapp Supermeg, XXX carb
1992 Yamaha FJ1200 - stock engine, Uni filter pods, Dynojet stage 1 jet
2012 HD FLHXSE3, stock 110 engine, Rush Dual headers and HD Nightstick mufflers

Last edited by fj1200; 01-18-2012 at 05:31 PM.
fj1200 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-18-2012, 04:25 PM   #9 (permalink)
XLIII

MegaGlide wants to know Dino or Syn?
"The dealer told me"...

Sherlyn Popelka DUI, Aggravated Assault, Fugitive Arrest Reports HERE:
http://www.sherlynpopelka.net/
MegaGlide is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-18-2012, 04:31 PM   #10 (permalink)
Ironbutt

MilesToGo wants to know Dino or Syn?
Quote:
Hate to tell you this, but maybe in California. No cats on the 2010 FLHX in 96" TC. -- This from the Service Manager and Head Mech. at the shop, during a seminar discussion on performance tuning.
Unfortunately, the service managers and even the techs don't often know everything about these machines. You would be well advised to verify whatever they say.
2003 Heritage Softail Classic
- 95ci, stage III heads, RB LSR exhaust, S&S 510 cams, 100hp 102tq
MilesToGo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-18-2012, 04:35 PM   #11 (permalink)
?????

msocko3 wants to know Dino or Syn?
Quote:
Hate to tell you this but the Service Manager and the Head Mechanic where full of sh!t, I wouldn't trust them very much if they don't know the product they service very well. All 2010 Touring 96" 103" and 110" come equipped with a cat, if you have a 10 with a 96 yank the right muffler and look for your self. For your enjoyment here is how you remove the cat from a 2010 50 state legal Road King http://roadkingclassic.wordpress.com...yic-converter/

Red Bike Powered By Head-Quarters 120.. Easier Clutch Pull By ClutchWIZ.com
2012 GL1800 Hannigan.
msocko3 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-18-2012, 04:37 PM   #12 (permalink)
?????

msocko3 wants to know Dino or Syn?
Quote:
Originally Posted by MilesToGo View Post
Unfortunately, the service managers and even the techs don't often know everything about these machines. You would be well advised to verify whatever they say.
Some of the crap that came out of one service managers mouth at a dealer I used to business with showed how little he or his techs knew about the products they serviced.

Red Bike Powered By Head-Quarters 120.. Easier Clutch Pull By ClutchWIZ.com
2012 GL1800 Hannigan.
msocko3 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-18-2012, 07:37 PM   #13 (permalink)
Seasoned Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tnford27 View Post
Have you had it retuned yet. The only problem in cutting out the cat is whats called cross talking with the sensors. The reading they see now want be the same and the tune is very hard to dial in. You would have been better off getting a fullsac x pipe or a fuelmoto system. These do away with the cross talking as well as V&H's Power duals.
Money wise you wnt the right direction, just not sure it was.

The bike was in the shop getting cams, air box upgrade and a race tuner. The mech gave me the head pipe while he was installing everything and I went home and did the mod. Before I ever did this I talked with a friend who had done the mod. He did it when he first got the bike and now has over 15K miles with no problems. If there was going to be a problem the mechanic would have told me since he works on these bikes. He is also very good at what he does and is a motor head. He knows of a lot of people doing the mod instead of spending $700 for a new head pipe. The bike runs really well and starts right up. I am going to put it through its paces this Saturday and see how it does. The mechanic says he would like to see the bike back to do some fine tuning after I have a few miles on it. The bike only has 149 miles on it right now. If there is a problem then I will let everyone know. I don't know about this cross talk thing the sensors are in front of the cats. How do they know what is going on after the exhaust passes them? Anyway I went with what my friend, who is very good at working on and tuning bikes, as well as the mechanic that says their will be no problem doing this procedure.
Old 01-18-2012, 07:40 PM   #14 (permalink)
Seasoned Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwizard View Post
Bet ya feel better with that thing ripped out of there!
Yes I do!!
Old 01-18-2012, 09:41 PM   #15 (permalink)
FNG :)

DanDee wants to know Dino or Syn?
I know my 2010 RKC had cats....I saw them.
Now it has fuelmoto pipe, V&H slip-ons,SE breather,
and SE tuner. Dyno tuned by Dealer...still kept the warranty.
Best money I have spent....so far!

Dan
DanDee is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the V-Twin Forum : Harley-Davidson Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. WE WILL SEND A CONFIRMATION EMAIL TO THE ADDRESS YOU PROVIDE. If the email address is NOT VALID, you will not be given access to the system!
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.