Handheld CB Mic on Ultra : V-Twin Forum: Harley Davidson Forums
» Sponsors

» Insurance
Go Back   V-Twin Forum : Harley-Davidson Motorcycle Forums > General Discussion Forums > Harley-Davidson Touring
New User? Register Forgot Password

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-08-2011, 01:00 PM   #1 (permalink)
FNG :)

Dirty D in OK wants to know Dino or Syn?
Handheld CB Mic on Ultra

Howdy All,

My dad has a 2006 Ultra and has had issues with the CB module since day one. When he keys the mic the audio is garbled. He has since obtained a Behind the head headset and the transmit audio is clear now.

I have a 2010 Ultra and my handheld Mic and cb works just as crystal clear as you could want.

We are wondering if we took a Noise Cancelling Handheld CB Mic (Non-Harley) could we make this work with the Ultra?

Additional info:

06 - Radio replaced, CB module replaced twice, 2 different handheld mics, Antenna replaced, coax replaced.

10 - All Stock from factory

Thanks for your help.
Dirty D in OK
Dirty D in OK is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-08-2011, 03:40 PM   #2 (permalink)
IronButt

Location: Motto.. Live for today becuase you never know what tomorrow brings...
1L243 wants to know Dino or Syn?
I have not heard of the "Behind the Head Headset" But will say when I purchased my 2006 Ultra I had a similar problem with the CB. After eliminating the headsets Harley replaced the CB unit.

If you took a Non Harley hand held mic you would have to fine a way to wire it into the Harley Din Connector which I think would be difficult.

I am surprised that the new Behind the Head head set corrected the garbled CB. Did you try using your headset and helmet on your dads bike? Or try swaping your cb unit with your dads unit and see what happens. I did this with my buddies bike when I was having trouble and it helped eliminate everything but the CB. I know you had two units already but at least you know yours works? Heck they are reconditioned you could have got my old one lol!
1L243 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-08-2011, 05:01 PM   #3 (permalink)

Im sending him my Harley Handheld mic to test. He is 1200 miles from me so swapping the CB unit will have to be this summer. Ive found diagrams and pinouts on how to wire the non-harley mic to the harley DIN, however I still cant make the SOB work... I can get it to Key the radio but no sound. Ive even swapped the wires for the audio out and ground...

Dirty D in OK
Old 11-08-2011, 05:04 PM   #4 (permalink)

The behind the head headset I referenced is :

Boom!™ Audio Half Helmet Music and Communications Headset

This comfortable headset is designed to allow full music and communication function while wearing a half helmet. Lightweight, durable neck bow wraps around the ear and across the back of the neck, and fits comfortably below the shell of most half helmets. Great-sounding foam-covered on-ear stereo headphone cups reduce wind noise while allowing you to hear surrounding traffic. The adjustable boom microphone with wind sock has been optimized for superior clarity when connected to Harley-Davidson intercom and Bike-to-Bike communications equipment, and the quick-disconnect plug allows you to step away from the motorcycle without removing the headset. A clothing clip is included for added comfort and reduced ear fatigue. The coiled cord permits freedom of movement in the saddle. The 7-pin DIN plug can be connected to the front and rear communications ports, allowing both rider and passenger access to the music, navigation, and voice communications features of the motorcycle.

76572-09
Old 11-08-2011, 07:08 PM   #5 (permalink)
IronButt

Location: Motto.. Live for today becuase you never know what tomorrow brings...
1L243 wants to know Dino or Syn?
Yes, I think it will be hard to get a non Harley mic wired to work.

I use J&M headsets in my full face helmet. I have always had good luck with them and when I had a problem the factory replaced them way out of warranty.

I would have your Dad use someone elses helmet and headset and see how it works second swap a cb with one that you know that works.

It's simple to do really.

Remove 3 windshield screws, plus four screws on the inside of outer shell. Put some socks over the passing lamps. Remove windshield, tilt outer shell outward, disconnect plug to head light, wiggle outer fairing past the passing lamps. CB module sits right there on top of the radio. Unscrew cb coax. You don't even have to put it all back together to test it.
1L243 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-10-2011, 12:13 AM   #6 (permalink)
Lifetime Premium

JetD wants to know Dino or Syn?
Yes on Wiring a Mic

I have rewired dozens if not hundreds of different mics for CB and ham radios, some with the HD style din plugs. It is easiest if you have the wiring schem (didn't see it in the SM if it's there).
Any hiway trucker stop with an accompanying radio tech should be able to do it... or if you're anywhere near a ham radio outlet, they can do it for you as well.
If you have access to an HD mic, it is easy for someone who knows how mics work to determine which wires do what and can wire another mid to work with your system.
Good luck.

'13 FLTRU a new beginning -->

'10 FLHTCU StageI --> (GMR) 107" gone---que sera!

'07 FLSTC 117ci (GMR) gone---que sera!

Old 11-14-2011, 12:43 PM   #7 (permalink)

Jet D,

I have a Cobra Noise Cancelling CB mic. Its 4 Wires. Ive wired to the Harley DIN according to the Harley Wiring Diagram. I can get the mic to key the radio however there is no sound. Ive changed the polarity and still Notta. Ive read that Harley mics have a built in Preamp to boost the Audio before it gets to the cb module. Any Ideas?

Dirty D in OK
Old 11-15-2011, 12:43 AM   #8 (permalink)
Lifetime Premium

JetD wants to know Dino or Syn?
Not off hand.... it's been at least 25 years since I've played with those. Sometimes it's just a matter of playing with the vohm meter and keying the mike to get a solution; and sometimes the diagrams are not fully accurate (sounds like you tried that first); sometimes a 4-wire mic needs an extra wire jumber in the plug to both key the radio and carry the audio. Is the HD mic DIN plug a 5 pin, or? 5 pin plugs often require a jumper between a couple of pins.
There are several variables that are easier and quicker to play with hands on than describe.
Were it I, I'd head to a truck stop or a ham radio store; or even a local commercial 2-way radio service outfit; they can get it working or the reason not in a few minutes.
Now to the 'preamp' issue. I am not aware whether or not there is a preamp circuit in the HD mics (by preamp I refer to an external power required preamp circuit). Every mic has a preamp type circuit; some require direct power from either a battery in the mic itself or power from the radio (down a wire in the mic chord).
Too many variables (and too long ago for my memory) to effectively resolve it this way. Sorry I can't be of more help.

'13 FLTRU a new beginning -->

'10 FLHTCU StageI --> (GMR) 107" gone---que sera!

'07 FLSTC 117ci (GMR) gone---que sera!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the V-Twin Forum : Harley-Davidson Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. WE WILL SEND A CONFIRMATION EMAIL TO THE ADDRESS YOU PROVIDE. If the email address is NOT VALID, you will not be given access to the system!
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.