Talk Me Out Of A Tour-Pak : V-Twin Forum: Harley Davidson Forums
» Sponsors

» Insurance
Go Back   V-Twin Forum : Harley-Davidson Motorcycle Forums > General Discussion Forums > Harley-Davidson Touring
New User? Register Forgot Password

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-05-2011, 05:51 AM   #1 (permalink)
Banned

2010 FLHX wants to know where he is and how he got here
Talk Me Out Of A Tour-Pak

OK, so maybe it should be "talk me into" --

When I'm touring, which is when I'd be packing, I'm riding solo. I have no use for a cushy seat, rear speakers, back rest. I just want a luggage box. Period. The real use I have for the passenger pillion is that it's a place to stow some accessible gear.

My bike is Denim Black -- a custom color. The Tour Pak comes in "flat black" ready to paint. I wonder if that's a match. I also wonder about going two-tone without getting too gaudy. You suppose red is just entirely over the top?

I suppose I could opt for the chrome rack on top, accessory light bar. But by the time we get set up, we're running into $1,500. (I have the four-point mount already.)

The Tour-Pak is slightly larger than the duffel I already use. AND, it locks up -- not that I ever take my eyes off the bike when I'm on the road in the first place.

Let's pretend $$$ is not really much of an object?

Last edited by 2010 FLHX; 11-05-2011 at 05:53 AM.
2010 FLHX is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-05-2011, 06:17 AM   #2 (permalink)
IronButt

wndchsr wants to know Dino or Syn?
I put a tour pack on my RK and it was some of the best money I ever spent. I cant really imagne not having a tour pack now after having had one for a year or so.

Patriot Guard ID #181788
US Navy Veteran
wndchsr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2011, 07:11 AM   #3 (permalink)
Premium Member

Tnford27 wants to know Dino or Syn?
I should have got one when I first bought the bike. I got one now and it's the best money spent for touring by far. More comfortable for my wife, myself and we can carry alot more as well. By the way, go ahead and put the rack on as well and buy a bag to use it with, we did this on a trip and again it was worth every pennie.
Old 11-05-2011, 07:30 AM   #4 (permalink)
Seasoned Rider

mikeforcec51 wants to know Dino or Syn?
From one Vet to another, NEVER SAY DIE- MIKEFORCE C1ST INF ReCon SCOUT

I HAVE A TORUR PACK ON MY FLHTCU AND I HAVE TO SAY ITS A GOOD INVESTMENT.
mikeforcec51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2011, 07:45 AM   #5 (permalink)
Lifetime Premium

strokerjlk wants to know Dino or Syn?
if you get a tour pak,a real set of rear shocks, and seat.
then you could have a Bad azz, no BS, serious touring machine.
was I suppost to talk you into it or out of it?????
SE 218
DR 218

Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.
strokerjlk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2011, 07:49 AM   #6 (permalink)
IronButt

59panhead wants to know Dino or Syn?
tour

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2010 FLHX View Post
OK, so maybe it should be "talk me into" --

When I'm touring, which is when I'd be packing, I'm riding solo. I have no use for a cushy seat, rear speakers, back rest. I just want a luggage box. Period. The real use I have for the passenger pillion is that it's a place to stow some accessible gear.

My bike is Denim Black -- a custom color. The Tour Pak comes in "flat black" ready to paint. I wonder if that's a match. I also wonder about going two-tone without getting too gaudy. You suppose red is just entirely over the top?

I suppose I could opt for the chrome rack on top, accessory light bar. But by the time we get set up, we're running into $1,500. (I have the four-point mount already.)

The Tour-Pak is slightly larger than the duffel I already use. AND, it locks up -- not that I ever take my eyes off the bike when I'm on the road in the first place.

Let's pretend $$$ is not really much of an object?

If your LQQKING to0 buy a tour pack I would not buy H-D anything ! The H-D stuff is ABS both of these companys make theres out of a heavy fiberglass @ least check them out !
GO TO a1hardbags.com or calvalryfiberglass.com
59panhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2011, 07:57 AM   #7 (permalink)
Lifetime Premium

Bowtie18 wants to know Dino or Syn?
I had a tour pack on my 2009 Ultra, and I can't imagine being without one. I ordered one with quick detach hardware for my Road Glide.
Old 11-05-2011, 10:27 AM   #8 (permalink)
Premium Member

dennish wants to know Dino or Syn?
I bought a used T/P which needed to be painted so I took off the backrest with the ugly arms, filled in the holes and installed the chopped T/P backrest pad. It looks a lot cleaner.
dennish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2011, 10:29 AM   #9 (permalink)
HATER OF THE GRAVEL!!!!!!

Jeffytune is reading this now saying WTF is this?
The "Pizza box" I have found makes the bike even more top heavy, so I will never have one on my bike. I too only ride solo, but when I tour I have a Küryakyn grand tour bag.

This is why I have my sissy bar, it slip right over it and now i have all the room I could even need and I have a back rest at the same time.

2010 FLHTCUI
96 CID w/ the quiet 6 speed
K&N RK-3930 air filter
Harley quiet high flow 110 mufflers (Hey, they were free)
Vance and Hines Fuelpak

I have learned, Just say NO to Dyno's!
Member DooF Clenas , and proud of it.

Professional Rockat Surgen
Disclaimer.
I do not work for Vance and Hines, I just like their stuff. Any suggestions I make are to be used at your own risk.

Last edited by Jeffytune; 11-05-2011 at 11:17 AM.
Jeffytune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2011, 10:57 AM   #10 (permalink)
Premium Member

Captain Bligh wants to know Dino or Syn?
I bought a detachable tour pack for my FLHRI for the second tour after my wife started going on tours with me. Prior to that I had a rack and used a Kuryakan tour bag. The old set-up worked, but my wife wasn't comfortable. With the tour pack, her comfort has improved tremendously.

At first I pulled it off immediately after every tour. More and more now I find myself leaving it on for the convenience of the storage.

Captain Bligh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2011, 11:02 AM   #11 (permalink)
IronButt

qtrracer wants to know Dino or Syn?
I can't imagine befouling my FLHX with a tour pak of any kind, if I wanted it ida got an Ultra. And to pay 1500 for it, no way that would EVER happen.
Old 11-05-2011, 12:56 PM   #12 (permalink)
IronButt

RogerDodger wants to know Dino or Syn?
I have one of each - an '95 EGC and an '06 FLHX. The T/P on the Evo is great on long trips - plenty of room (almost too much?). If I only had the SG, I have to admit, I really wouldn't miss the T/P if riding solo. A large Tour-Master t-bag holds everything just as well plus it goes into the motel room anyway, no need for a lock.
RogerDodger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2011, 02:00 PM   #13 (permalink)
IronButt

Fourcats wants to know Dino or Syn?
Trunk...

Had one on the Honda, they are nice. Was considering one for the RK, but the $$$ always found its way somewhere else.
Anymore, I travel LITE...Lay out everything on the bed, take half the stuff and twice the $$$. The bag liners are maybe full with nothing I can't walk away from.
Fourcats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2011, 02:23 PM   #14 (permalink)
Seasoned Rider

on2wls wants to know Dino or Syn?
Thanks for the websites 59 panhead
on2wls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2011, 04:25 PM   #15 (permalink)
Banned

2010 FLHX wants to know where he is and how he got here
I did 1,650 miles four states: WA, OR, NV, CA, in five days, four nights, camping in a tent, with this gear. A duffel, and a 16 can insulated soft cooler bag. I packed stuff I didn't need.

I like to keep the baggage from extending over the top of my head. The duffel stows a sleeping bag, tent, ground cloth, Thermarest pad, pillow, camp shoes, an ax, water bottle.

Cooler bag was for stashing binoculars, sunscreen, lunch, tie down straps, etc.

I don't worry about getting top heavy and unbalanced. I just don't like riding with a stack of gear behind me.
2010 FLHX is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement