Rear fender seat nut : V-Twin Forum: Harley Davidson Forums
» Sponsors

» Insurance
Go Back   V-Twin Forum : Harley-Davidson Motorcycle Forums > General Discussion Forums > Harley-Davidson Touring
New User? Register Forgot Password

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-08-2011, 04:40 PM   #1 (permalink)
FNG :)

Pipedoc wants to know Dino or Syn?
Rear fender seat nut

The seat nut on on the rear fender loosened on my 03 FLHR and the nut with the retaining clip wobbled around to the point where the hole in the fender is damaged. I am constantly breaking the retaining clips and the problem is getting worse.

I was thinking about having a nut welded but then I'll have to repaint. Anyone else have this happen and have a suggestion for a good fix?
Pipedoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-08-2011, 05:04 PM   #2 (permalink)
IronButt

Nitram_b4 is reading this now saying WTF is this?
try something like this, you can form them with screw pressure if you are careful and not use a tool
http://www.hrpworld.com/index.cfm?fo...action=product

or if you want to buy the tool
Nitram_b4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 07:11 PM   #3 (permalink)

Thanks Nitram.
That looks like it will do the job. Do you know anyone who has used these in this application? I will just have to measure and make sure the diameter will be okay.
Old 08-08-2011, 07:23 PM   #4 (permalink)
IronButt

Nitram_b4 is reading this now saying WTF is this?
I know people that have used them on other bikes for fairing mounts.
Go to McMaster Carr on line they have a wider slection.
They have good strength and if you ever bugger up a thread you can always drill it off

Last edited by Nitram_b4; 08-08-2011 at 07:27 PM.
Nitram_b4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 07:44 PM   #5 (permalink)

Thanks again. I occasionally order from Mcmaster for work. I'll check with them.
Old 08-11-2011, 11:13 PM   #6 (permalink)

2007SG wants to know Dino or Syn?
You might try something like JB Weld it works pretty well if everything is clean and given time to set properly. Never understood those cheap fender nuts myself. Cheesy set up to me.
2007SG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2011, 10:28 AM   #7 (permalink)
IronButt

bigbadal wants to know Dino or Syn?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nitram_b4 View Post
try something like this, you can form them with screw pressure if you are careful and not use a tool

or if you want to buy the tool
Those are nice little units,,,good to know about them,,,good applications. Thanks for posting that.
bigbadal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2011, 08:27 AM   #8 (permalink)
EvilMonger

Thealien is reading this now saying WTF is this?
A few years ago my seat nut hole had enlarged and wouldn't hold the insert anymore. I mixed up some good epoxy and put a bead around the insert and pushed it into the fender hole. It has held for years. I do drill out my seat mounts so they fit around the insert and not on top of it.
Thealien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2011, 09:16 AM   #9 (permalink)
IronButt

Rollmeaway wants to know Dino or Syn?
I took a 1/4" nut which is captive to the washer. Removed the paint on the bottom side of the fender with an 1.5" sanding disc. Once I had it down to bare metal I coated the 2 mating surfaces (fender & washer) with JB Weld, centred the nut over the hole & let it cure. I then put another layer over the washer to the fender. It self levels so all I had to do was flash it in with some paint. It's still there & that was over 5 years ago.

Dare

2000 FXST
Rollmeaway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2011, 09:46 AM   #10 (permalink)

Just an update for anyone else who has this same problem. I stopped by Fastenal to buy the pop nuts and the installation tool. Fastenal wanted over $200 for it! I figured I would just order from the link Nitram posted. A couple of days later I happened to be in my local Menards and stumbled across thevsame tool for only $14.99 and they had a package of pop nuts for $3.00. It worked perfectly. I did have to slip the pop nut through a chrome washerbfirst because the hole in the fender was egged out a little. It makes for an extremely sturdy repair!

Thanks agin for steering me in the right direction Nitram. Thanks to everyone else for their suggestions as well. What a great forum!
Old 09-14-2011, 12:21 PM   #11 (permalink)
IronButt

BikeMe wants to know Dino or Syn?
Sounds like you got all fixed up, Pipedoc. I was going to suggest google on "rivnuts". Very similar to the popnuts I suppose.

My Aprilia is chock full of Rivnuts. Very sturdy and reliable IF THEY ARE SET RIGHT THE FIRST TIME!! Argh!

I ended up buying the tool and extra rivnuts. The tool I have has a threaded stud and a T handle that you tighten down on...as you tighten it draws up the "rivet" portion of the nut and expands it. Does a good job...tool was $100 bucks though...I like tools...used it twice.

For future, some guys have been successful getting a bolt of correct diameter and thread, stacking washers on the bolt and using a wrench to tighten it. I never could do this: the rivnut face would spin against the washers and not tighten...

Anywhoo...this reply was completely useless since you fixed the problem already. I did up my post count, though.

2007 Aprilia Tuono Factory - Red/Black
BikeMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2011, 01:14 PM   #12 (permalink)
merry old soul

Road King Cole is reading this now saying WTF is this? Road King Cole is reading this now saying WTF is this?
Mine broke years ago, went to my indy and they sold me an aftermarket replacement kit that was like 10-20 bucks and much more secure than the original HD or mustang kit. It has a nice chrome allen bolt, I remove the rear pad and re-install it all the time and it is still very solid. Sorry, I wish I remembered the brand name. I did a quick search and couldn't find one.

rkc
Old 09-14-2011, 02:05 PM   #13 (permalink)
IronButt

FXDRYDR is reading this now saying WTF is this? FXDRYDR is reading this now saying WTF is this?
Thumbs up

Good fixes!
S&S stuff.
Baisley Pro Street heads
+ Level 2 Mojo.
Badass pipe.
Torq Monster Motorworks
spec'd & built, extra "Special Sauce."
142HP - 148TQ SAE / 145/151 STD. More there.
Jimmy crack corn and I don't care.
FXDRYDR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2011, 10:14 PM   #14 (permalink)

Rivnuts and pop nuts seem to be the same thing from the pictures I was just looking at on Google. The tool Menards has for $14.99 is the one that resembles a regular rivet gun/pliers.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement