FLHX suspension : V-Twin Forum: Harley Davidson Forums
» Sponsors

» Insurance
Go Back   V-Twin Forum : Harley-Davidson Motorcycle Forums > General Discussion Forums > Harley-Davidson Touring
New User? Register Forgot Password

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-15-2011, 09:37 AM   #1 (permalink)
Seasoned Rider

Verdorbene wants to know Dino or Syn?
FLHX suspension

Good morning, I am gonna change the stock air shocks on my FLHX and looking at Progressive 940 and wondering what length should go with. I do solo riding 85% of the times so I am thinking 13' inch shock. Will someone please confirm this and possible part number and best place to buy them....

Thank you
Kurt
Advertisement

Old 06-15-2011, 05:23 PM   #2 (permalink)
DILLIGAF

berserker is still riding a stock bike berserker is still riding a stock bike
Finally a FLHX owner who knows the alphabet.

I got 440s on my FLH, 12.5 with heavy spring.
Helmets are like rubbers you know you should wear one, but its so much better when you don't.-Me
Sometimes I think its a sin, when I feel like I am winning when I am losing again.-GL
2001 FLHR, 98"
2007 FLHTCU
berserker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2011, 05:38 PM   #3 (permalink)
Ironbutt

MilesToGo wants to know Dino or Syn?
I had Progressive 940s on my 2009 FLHX. I'm pretty sure they only come in one size which is 12in. Their claim to fame is they perform like a 13in shock. Although they are better than the stock air shock, i wasn't that impressed. I sold them, and after experimenting with another shock, i finally settled on a pair of Harley Premieum Low shocks. They come stock on the CVO Street Glide. Overall, i'm very satisfied with these shocks. They do a very good job of absorbing the harsh bumps, all while maintaining a performance feel when you are push the bike to the limits. I personally think they are the best 12in shock available.

You didn't state your solo weight but i think most shocks are setup for heavy riders. I weigh right at 200 lbs with gear. I had the 940s set on the lightest setting and they were still too harsh. If you are looking for a plush ride then go with a TRUE 13in shock. Of course your FLHX will sit a little higher in the rear.

I should also mention the front shock has a lot to do with ride quality. The front stock suspension on the new FLHX is just okay. The problem is when you hit a harsh bump it transmits a lot of the vibration through the bike. The amount of dive during hard braking is not good either. I installed a new set of gold emulators and springs from Race Tech on my bike and it made a world of difference. The bike is now as it SHOULD have been from the factory.
2003 Heritage Softail Classic
- 95ci, stage III heads, RB LSR exhaust, S&S 510 cams, 100hp 102tq

Last edited by MilesToGo; 06-15-2011 at 05:53 PM.
MilesToGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2011, 08:20 PM   #4 (permalink)
IronButt

WEINERDOGBONE wants to know Dino or Syn?
I have the 13" 440's on my SG and I wish I had gone to 12". I had a big idea that I would use the longer shocks and then install a lowering kit to drop the rear 1". What I found out was, the lowering kit didn't work with the 440's. The 13" inch shock is a little tall.
WEINERDOGBONE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2011, 08:24 PM   #5 (permalink)
FNG :)

jim1102 wants to know Dino or Syn?
the 940's come in one length only,which is 13",but when you install them on your bike,your bike sits like it has a12" shock on it.If you weigh under 200 lbs they still ride harsh.I have em on my st.glide and if i had to do it over again i wouldn't buy them.F.W.I.W.i weigh 190 lbs.
jim1102 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2011, 08:55 PM   #6 (permalink)
IronButt

streetglidekirk wants to know Dino or Syn?
I have Arnott Aldan air ride on my Streetglide. Best add on I have done to the bike...... I got the 13" set and added a 1" lowering kit from L.A. Choppers...... More shock travel with the 13s....... Rides great...
Bigboyz street port heads
Doherty Machine Power Pacc Air Breather
Kuryakyn Crusher True Duals
TTS Mastertune
Power Commander V
100 hp 108 tq
L.A. Choppers lowering
Arnott Aldan Air Ride 13" Shocks
Arc Audio KS 125.4 amp
DLS UP6i 6-1/2 speakers
streetglidekirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2011, 04:16 AM   #7 (permalink)
Seasoned Rider

Verdorbene wants to know Dino or Syn?
Good morning and thanks for the responses. I weigh about 215lbs and have neck and back problems. Went from a fatboy to a streetglide for smoother ride. I figured that changing the back stock air shocks would be step one and then change the forks. Thanks for the words and please keep the suggestions coming. Still looking for correct part number and place with the best deal. PM if you like.

Kurt
Old 06-16-2011, 04:11 PM   #8 (permalink)
DILLIGAF

Good seat, maybe sheepskin may help. Getting the right handlebar set up too.

I am on a metric forum, and some guys really complain about the Harley feet forward position, they say it puts more weight on the spine. I think there is a little bit of truth to that. But no matter what something is going to have pressure on it.
Helmets are like rubbers you know you should wear one, but its so much better when you don't.-Me
Sometimes I think its a sin, when I feel like I am winning when I am losing again.-GL
2001 FLHR, 98"
2007 FLHTCU
Old 06-16-2011, 04:37 PM   #9 (permalink)
Ironbutt

MilesToGo wants to know Dino or Syn?
Quote:
Originally Posted by berserker View Post
Good seat, maybe sheepskin may help. Getting the right handlebar set up too.

I am on a metric forum, and some guys really complain about the Harley feet forward position, they say it puts more weight on the spine. I think there is a little bit of truth to that. But no matter what something is going to have pressure on it.
No doubt a good seat helps with ride quality but even the best seat will not overcome crappy shocks.
2003 Heritage Softail Classic
- 95ci, stage III heads, RB LSR exhaust, S&S 510 cams, 100hp 102tq
MilesToGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2011, 05:36 PM   #10 (permalink)
DILLIGAF

I agree. I went to 440s. Buddy says his back isn't as sore since he did it. I like a firm seat, so I probably really feel it.
2001 FLHR, 98"
2007 FLHTCU
Old 06-20-2011, 09:49 PM   #11 (permalink)
FNG :)

jim1102 wants to know Dino or Syn?
Smile

Try www.phatperformanceparts.com
jim1102 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement