CD Player is skipping like crazy : V-Twin Forum: Harley Davidson Forums
» Sponsors

» Insurance
Go Back   V-Twin Forum : Harley-Davidson Motorcycle Forums > General Discussion Forums > Harley-Davidson Touring
New User? Register Forgot Password

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-29-2011, 05:25 PM   #1 (permalink)
Lifetime Premium

Leaping wants to know Dino or Syn?
CD Player is skipping like crazy

My CD player is skipping like crazy on the road. Get back in the garage and player will do perfect. It is an 06 Ultra that I have had for 4 years with no problem. Any suggestions. Even tried the CD Disc Cleaner.
Leaping is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-29-2011, 06:13 PM   #2 (permalink)
IronButt

Big-G wants to know Dino or Syn?
Have you tried a different CD?

2009 Ultra 103
Big-G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2011, 07:45 PM   #3 (permalink)
Lifetime Premium

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big-G View Post
Have you tried a different CD?
I have tried a number of different CDs and they all will play like a champ in my truck. And like I said they play perfect when MC is in garage sitting still. Its almost like the unit is loose and shaking more than it is supposed to. Needless to say it is driving me crazy.
Old 05-29-2011, 10:17 PM   #4 (permalink)
Lifetime Premium

maddogg4 wants to know Dino or Syn?
Iron Cross Audio's website will probably have an answer for you if it is the Harman Kardon unit. Supposedly there is an update that the '06's don't have installed for the vibration, but it seems strange it would take 5 years for it to show up. Moisture and vibration takes about that much time to affect the ribbon connections in the unit. My LCD is just now acting up and it is an "07. Good Luck.
Old 05-30-2011, 07:01 AM   #5 (permalink)
Seasoned Rider

Racer-X wants to know Dino or Syn?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leaping View Post
My CD player is skipping like crazy on the road. Get back in the garage and player will do perfect. It is an 06 Ultra that I have had for 4 years with no problem. Any suggestions. Even tried the CD Disc Cleaner.
Check your fairing brackets for breaks and riser bolts for impact on the bottom of the radio. Skipping when the bike is moving is usually caused by an outside influence.

If either of these issues exist, and you still have skipping after you fix it, you probably have a damaged CD drive
Racer-X is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2011, 07:01 AM   #6 (permalink)
Premium Member

06roadglide wants to know Dino or Syn?
Check your fairing mounts.
06roadglide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2011, 07:53 AM   #7 (permalink)
IronButt

bowtech40 wants to know Dino or Syn?
Check your fairing brackets, and if they are good there is another option. You can send the unit to Iron Cross Audio, or buy an aftermarket unit. I sent mine to ICA, and it is working great. Their customer service is great, and I wanted to stay with the stock system.
V&H power dual head pipe
Crusher mellow mufflers
Great tune by BVBOB!
bowtech40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2011, 07:55 AM   #8 (permalink)
Lifetime Premium

Quote:
Originally Posted by Racer-X View Post
Check your fairing brackets for breaks and riser bolts for impact on the bottom of the radio. Skipping when the bike is moving is usually caused by an outside influence.

If either of these issues exist, and you still have skipping after you fix it, you probably have a damaged CD drive
I will check my fairing brackets. If the CD drive is damaged would it not skip all the time?
Old 05-30-2011, 11:11 AM   #9 (permalink)
IronButt

RG50 wants to know Dino or Syn?
If it's working ok when staionary,then something is making it shake while riding.
I agree with the other's.
Old 05-30-2011, 12:22 PM   #10 (permalink)
IronButt

gonefirefightin wants to know Dino or Syn?
I would get yourself an ipod....

ton of storage, they never skip and it can be plugged in and forgotten
Old 05-30-2011, 06:47 PM   #11 (permalink)
IronButt

Tom Ricci wants to know Dino or Syn?
Had the same problem with a brand new store bought CD. Brought it to the dealer as the extended warranty covered this. They downloaded new software (supposedly a CD update) tested the player with the HD factory test disc, my disc and said it was OK. A week later, another brand new cd didn't get 5 tracks in before it was skipping. Replaced the fairing bracket (found the LH one broken, already replaced the RH one) and it's still skipping. Time to insist on an exhange unit as I don't think this head unit is ever going to work properly.
Tom Ricci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2011, 07:56 PM   #12 (permalink)
Lifetime Premium

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Ricci View Post
Had the same problem with a brand new store bought CD. Brought it to the dealer as the extended warranty covered this. They downloaded new software (supposedly a CD update) tested the player with the HD factory test disc, my disc and said it was OK. A week later, another brand new cd didn't get 5 tracks in before it was skipping. Replaced the fairing bracket (found the LH one broken, already replaced the RH one) and it's still skipping. Time to insist on an exhange unit as I don't think this head unit is ever going to work properly.
Do you remember if the CD played OK when your bike was sitting still. That's the problem I have thinking that the CD unit is OK if it plays perfect when still. I am going to check the fairing brackets tomorrow and see how it goes. Thanks to everybody who responded with helpful ideas, that's the worderful part of this forum.
Old 05-31-2011, 05:01 AM   #13 (permalink)
Seasoned Rider

Racer-X wants to know Dino or Syn?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leaping View Post
I will check my fairing brackets. If the CD drive is damaged would it not skip all the time?

Not always. If the drives damper assembly is damages, it would only skip when riding
Racer-X is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011, 03:05 PM   #14 (permalink)
FNG :)

Woodsman54 wants to know Dino or Syn?
Just spoke to my local dealer. There is a bolt problem inside the fairing that causes the CD's to skip. They say there is a bulletin about it. Did you get your problem fixed?
Woodsman54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2011, 11:41 PM   #15 (permalink)
FNG :)

Harleyfullmoon wants to know Dino or Syn?
CD Player no sound

I had a 2007 EGC no sound would come out of the unit,sent it to Iron Cross and they did the updates and fixed the power board and,said the risers had been rubbing the unit. Both speakers brackets were broke,fixed them and everything is working great now. Also check your fairing brackets,they have a easy fix for both type brackets.They had fast turn around least than a week,going and coming. Hope this helps someone.Harleyfullmoon
Harleyfullmoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement